Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3891

1       2       3              3891      
       3893              4531       4532       end

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4118

Stay kool Rodolfo, been 90/100's for many weeks now, forest fires on all for sides of us and right over the border in cali as well. Big thunder and lightning strikes all over, started one big fire right outta town. Today, it's puring down rain, , wow what a relief for the fire fighters.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Rodolfo, I grew up in Houston in the 1950's-1960's without A/C at home and at school. We had windows and fans (not ceiling fans, portable fans). You could tell the teachers with clout, they had two in their room. We also got to experience relative humidity in the 90% range daily. We never thought life was bad. I remember taking my dates to the downtown movies during the summer. Think of all the clothes/underwear women wore back then, in an un-airconditioned car, windows rolled up with vents open to keep from messing up her hair. Yeah, we were sweaty going into the air conditioned movie. The difference today is we are very acclimated to AC now.

Then I went in the USAF at Lackland in San Antonio and was introduced to sleeping and classes in full air-conditioned rooms, thought I was in Heaven..

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9906

Beg to differ, Ray. Acclimatization is a factor, but building design plays as significant role as well. My house in Miami is designed to be sewn up tight as a drum... it is not designed for natural air circulation, and opening those windows that can be opened at all does not materially change airflow. We also don't have fans everywhere, since they'd only ever be used in exceptional circumstances like these. So when the A/C goes, you sit in hot, humid, still air with no circulation, getting hotter and hotter and hotter.

In Guatemala, my house is being designed with walls of glass where over half the lateral surface can be opened up, and it's all intended to happen with organic airflow. No A/C will be installed at all. But my house in Miami looks and acts very differently.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2775

On the other end of the scale, I grew up in a 200-year old Cotswold stone house with walls about a foot thick (in the original section at least; it had been extended). We had no central heating, only a woodburning stove in the living room which made that room fabulously warm in winter, and left the rest of the house freezing cold. This was normal. I could never understand why my grandparents' house was so frickin' hot - they had central heating! Rodolfo speaks wisely about house design but it sure is a lot of what you're used to, as well.

Wrei

Well, all I can offer is this. I played/worked outside (mostly on the flight line) for the first 38 years of my life. When our A/C went out at home, I was OK, but the wife and kids (she was what we called an 'air conditioned baby') couldn't stand it and would get a hotel room or stay with a friend. Our house was modern and not made for flow through ventilation. Just my practical experience.

BTW...the farm house is set up with two units, one for the day areas and one bedroom/bath, and the second cools the one for the other two bedrooms and bath. If Mama ain't happy...

As for me, the 12' deep front porch is designed to take advantage of the southeast breeze and provide shade after 11 am. It keeps me cool. I spend a lot of time out there day and night even on the 100 F days like this week..

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9306

The a/c in this house broke in 1996, and I didn't have it fixed until the heater also went in 2012. Brick houses get mighty toasty in the summer time. Glad you're back in the cool again.

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Two days ago we woke up at 82F instead of 73F, and our favorite family-run A/C contractors duly informed me of our five-ton compressor's final journey west. Not good. We touched 89F (inside!) that afternoon... even less good.

On the plus side, these guys are awesome and were able to install and configure a new five-ton 18-SEER Trane by noon yesterday. Despite the much lighter wallet, I'm a happier camper today.

I can see why large chunks of the coastal areas in the southeast USA were much less habitable 100 years ago, though...

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

Cool interview with Big Steve. Jr. off his wing in Strega in the video.

http://unicombuzz.blogspot.com/2014/08/what-does-pace-pilot-do-interview-with.html

Must have made for some interesting starts before they went to the T-33 with Hoover at takeoff power in his P-51 and the racers at idle!!

USM IS
Total Posts: 1699

Some pics: Even a lightning bolt........ Mike

kdrk888
Total Posts: 1472

Hi all. This is my first post with pictures in this inspiring thread. Nothing artistic. Any C&C will be welcome and appreciated. I am just a hobbyist here to learn. This was the only time I saw a B2 in person. It flew all the way from Missouri to the Andrews AFB near Washington DC for the show in 2012. It just circled around twice and flew straight back to Missouri without even touching the runway. It was quite an experience to see such a flying machine.

Glenn, Colin, Go4long, thank you for your encouragement so I am not too shy to post pictures here.

Thanks for looking.

Douglas

[url=https://flic.kr/p/c4MmoS]6C3A0912 by Douglas Liu, on Flickr[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/c4MkrE]6C3A0917 by Douglas Liu, on Flickr[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/c4Mn3W]6C3A0972 by Douglas Liu, on Flickr[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/c4Mnbh]6C3A0985 by Douglas Liu, on Flickr[/url]

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Don't be shy, kdrk888: these are terrific. See if you can pull a little more detail out of the bottom of the B-2 in that second shot. What editing software do you favor? You were shooting RAW, weren't you?

Wrei

There's a lot of detail on the last B2 photo.

stevezzzz

My opening salvo from the Grand Tetons. This was shot Monday evening about 8:00pm from the south, at 11,800' in the Pipistrel.

stevezzzz

A little bit closer, now...

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

Welcome home, Douglas. You may consider yourself a hobbyist, but from what I see, you are more than that. I really enjoyed seeing the B2 shots because I have never seen one in person. I hope to see more soon.

Regards, Colin

kdrk888
Total Posts: 1472

stevez wrote:
Don't be shy, kdrk888: these are terrific. See if you can pull a little more detail out of the bottom of the B-2 in that second shot. What editing software do you favor? You were shooting RAW, weren't you?

Hi Steve, I shot these with a Canon 5DIII and the 100-400mm. I shot raw. Not sure if I still have the raw files. I used Canon's DPP software to edit and convert these raw files. Now I have LR5. Even 400mm on a 5DIII can be too short at times. The Nikon D810 is a different story...

Colin. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Cheers,

Douglas

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2449

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Welcome home, Douglas. You may consider yourself a hobbyist, but from what I see, you are more than that. I really enjoyed seeing the B2 shots because I have never seen one in person. I hope to see more soon.

Regards, Colin

+1 Welcome aboard
Niall

futurshox
Total Posts: 2775

Hey Douglas, nice B-2. Nice catch on getting a topside shot! Seems like that is pretty rare.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

Excellent info from Joe this morning. One of the true artists and gurus of light.

http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/2014/08/14/the-sky-is-the-driver/

Have a great day my friends

JayDavis
Total Posts: 2096

I haven't posted in a very long time on this thread. Been very busy shooting some large jets as well as small jets, too. Just got back from Toluca Mexico where I photographed a G-V, a Falcon 50 and a Hawker 800.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9906

Jeff W. wrote:
Excellent info from Joe this morning. One of the true artists and gurus of light.

Joe's talent is legendary. But I'm even more impressed with his humor and humility. I don't think I'll ever quit smiling every time I see "Numnuts" on a diagram.

1       2       3              3891      
       3893              4531       4532       end