Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3878

1       2       3              3878      
       3880              4530       4531       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19260

I had a hunch that was going to happen Steve. Once they got everyone on board at the low/low rate, it was just a matter of time before they upped the ante. Eventually, when they no longer support raw file conversion updates in CS6, I'll have no choice. Think about it from Adobe's perspective, having a gazillion people hooked on a monthly subscription rate lines their pockets more consistently than a guy like me who buys the suite, and holds on to it for three or four years. Just watch, the next move will be to begin tapering back on updates and support for non CC based products.

JWilsonphoto

I just did some quick math on what it would cost to match my Canon gear with Nikon product. Looks like about 80 grand would get me there. I guess that's not too bad when you think in Phase One terms.

richhrly
Total Posts: 993

Apache action:

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 986

Now I do love these old war birds ..... but they do bite. Fortunately the pilot walked away having done a mega job getting onto the deck in one (ish) piece. I was taking pictures of this very same plane only last Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x_sf9OK8P6k

Leviathor
Total Posts: 199

Regarding the Canon stagnation, it bears keeping in mind that their systems, for whatever reason, still trump the sidelines of most sporting events. The last Superbowl and World Cup were hugely Canon. The most recent shot at Nikon-Canon parity I can think of was the recent Olympics, iirc, where there was almost as much black as white on the sidelines of the events.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

nickjohnson wrote:
Now I do love these old war birds ..... but they do bite. Fortunately the pilot walked away having done a mega job getting onto the deck in one (ish) piece. I was taking pictures of this very same plane only last Saturday.

I don't know the Sea Fury's systems, but it looks like this guy had his hands full with a crippled airplane. Too bad the down lock didn't catch on the gear, but a nice piece of airmanship nonetheless.

JWilsonphoto

Indeed, nicely handled!

JWilsonphoto

Canon/Nikon, it really doesn't matter what the ratio of white to black lenses is at any given event. What should matter is who is making the tools that will help a photographer better his or her end product. Many shooters have no need for a 36.6 MP sensor, personally one twice that size would serve me well. Other than file size and dynamic range, I would be perfectly happy shooting the 1DX until I hang up the spurs.

Leviathor
Total Posts: 199

I completely agree, Jim. Sports shooters need something completely different than someone producing huge prints. Canon sort of became king of that hill a long while ago, and has been riding on its coat tails far too much in recent years.

My thinking on the matter is that the technology now exists to produce a high-end mirrorless system that can dwarf in quality and simplicity the outdated, plane-style shutter technologies. Depending on the optical geometry, it might be possible to adapt existing, high-quality lenses to fit on such a body, or they'll phase in some new line of glass to replace the current, long-throw 35 mm image circle, which exists because of all the 'guts' that the SLR needs to function.

JWilsonphoto

That's an interesting thought. I haven't shot with the sports oriented Nikons, although I have heard that their AF is excellent. Having owned every iteration of top of the line Canon, since the 30D, I've experienced Canon's perfection process in the autofocus area. The 1DX is just about as dead on as anyone could expect, I'm certain that the D4s is comparable.

Thinking down the road a bit, at some point I'm going to grow weary of lugging two systems around the country, so I should be planning the phasing out/in of just one product line. Until Nikon manufactures a 17PC/E, I'll have to stick with Canon there. All my other white lenses can easily be replaced by similar Nikon glass. I'm not in a rush, but if I could eliminate on large rolling case from the many, it would be a welcome move.

I still haven't taken the D810 out for a romp. Realized the other day that I didn't have an "Upstrap" for the 810, so I ordered one. I'm a little hesitant to shoot with anything that doesn't have a good strap on it.

JWilsonphoto

Today is a day to rest and tidy up details. Low overcast and drizzle grounded my helo shoot until tomorrow, and the scramble begins again early Monday morning. Yesterday's high 7/31 was 72 degrees, I'm not sure that has ever happened in Texas in my lifetime. Two days of soaking rain in July? Neither has that! The Lone Star is loving this!

Good news on the upcoming Airbus shoot, we negotiated use rights with the client, so I will be able to show some of the images to you all. I did a walk around the other day, WOW! Wealth is a relative thing. There was a new BBJ sitting in front of the 330 and it kind of looked like my Cub in comparison. You just can't help feeling a little Walter Mittyish around these projects........pucketa-pucketa........ This takes one way past the 1%, into the .1%

JWilsonphoto

Wonder if the Breezy that crashed at OSH yesterday was the one that hops rides all day long? I've been watching that operation for a couple of decades, fully expecting it to be a headline each and every year.

Who is up there besides Larry and Jay? I feel badly in a way that it has become sort of unimportant to me. So much has changed. I began to lose my fervor when they booted Jim Koepnick so unceremoniously, then Paul and Tom who have been good friends for over 40 years. Bringing in Mac McClellan from FLYING was another straw, he's about as EAA oriented as nuthin', if it doesn't require a type certification Mac never gave it a second look. His attitude changed when FLYING gave him the opportunity to seek greener pastures.

I guess AirVenture still interests me if we're all gathering there for something special.

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2448

stevez wrote:
nickjohnson wrote:

I don't know the Sea Fury's systems, but it looks like this guy had his hands full with a crippled airplane. Too bad the down lock didn't catch on the gear, but a nice piece of airmanship nonetheless.

A well-known aircraft on the UK circuit - as it's owned by the military Royal navy Historical Flight, hopefully it won't take too ling to get it back in the air!

Here's my little tribute:

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

stevez wrote:
Uh, oh, looks like the other shoe is about to drop: just got an email from Adobe saying that they will renew my CC subscription on 01 September at $49.99, plus taxes. I've been paying $19.99 per month, and my CC account plan detail page still says that my next bill date will be August 31, for a total of $19.99.

I thought I was grandfathered in at the $19.99/mo rate, but it looks like Adobe doesn't think so.

I thought that was a one-year promotional offer, with the understanding it was going to jump up after that first year. But if you were only paying $19.99/mo for the full suite, that was a different deal. Right now they are offering the first year for $29.99/mo, increasing to $49.99/mo upon annual renewal.
Adobe CC Plans

I'm on the $9.99/mo plan for just Photoshop and LR, although I've never even opened the LR part.

Mark

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

Since we were talking about customer service recently, I thought I should mention an experience I just had with Dell.

I ordered a laptop for my daughter through the Salem State University IT dept. Much better deal than I could get even using our corporate discount, plus it comes with a 4-year accidental damage warranty that is actually honored by Salem State. If she drops the laptop down a flight of stairs, she can bring the IT department the pieces, they give her a loaner, and they get her laptop fixed. And it comes with full Office 2013.

I ordered it a couple of weeks ago, but this week when I checked the order status, I found it had been cancelled, and they hadn't told me. Turns out Dell screwed up - they thought I had ordered through my corporate account, and since I can't get a student laptop that way, they cancelled the order. I was actually able to get a real person on the phone, they figured out the problem, reinstated the order, upgraded the operating system to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, gave me free next day shipping, and a $50 gift card. I'm actually getting the laptop sooner than the original order.

Nice job, not at all what I was expecting.

Mark

waterflyboy22
Total Posts: 757

As recently promised, here are a couple of photos of the only aircraft photography I've done in months... Shot from my wife's Nikon P7700 P&S. Not a bad little kit. So, P&S, through some storm proof tinted glass. Enjoy...

RobMoser
Total Posts: 871

Like Jim said, totally strange weather for Texas today. 80 degrees with a cool north breeze on the first day of August! Unheard of! So with nothing I wanted to do more, headed down to the big airport to swing a lens for a while. Great skies and light, so glad I went.

Rob

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2012

Well, finally getting caught back up. Almost set for Abbotsford, and am now typing from the new iMac, which is fairly exciting since I have wanted one for a long time.

Couldn't really justify the price tag of a full pin Mac Pro, but I did load the iMac up fairly hardily.

Fusion drive, the upgraded video card and the likes...have to get all my programs installed before I can give it a chance to stretch its legs, but I will try to get that all done before I depart for abbotsford. Still a lot of stuff to unpack, oi.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9906

Zim, try getting Adobe Customer Service on the phone. They sent me an email offering a year of $29.99 after my year of $19.99, but I could not accept it online, only via phone. The rep was fairly clueless and mucked up the transaction, but I was able to get it cleared up later. My guess is you can get them to give you the same deal.

Tim Ashton
Total Posts: 3211

Jeff W. wrote:
What a fun video Steve. At least put a Stetson and some spurs on your quadcopter if you're going to use it to replace the iconic American cowboy

Loved Zim's video. great stuff
But
For me, the problem was the opposite.
Neighbours "borrowing" our cattle and for that to drift through a mob of cattle collecting those which belong to you , you still need the old quadroped.

Tim

1       2       3              3878      
       3880              4530       4531       end