1       2       3              3872      
       3874              4531       4532       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Glenn Watson wrote:
stevez wrote:
Glenn Watson wrote:
stevez wrote:
The latest issue of ISnAP includes some familiar MA2A faces: mine and J-A's at the least (who else did I miss?). Oh, and there's some aviation photography in there, as well...

http://issuu.com/isaporg/docs/isnapaug2014final

Good stuff Stevez. Dont recall seeing any of those pics on here....how fun would it be to get the keys to a T-45 for an hour or two?

Thanks, Glenn. Yeah, I'd take an hour of pattern work in a T-45, any day.

I'm just in awe of your Ruff Stuff and Raptor images. Question for you: I've looked, but I can't find the A36's reflection in the Raptor's canopy. Can you see it in the D800 originals?

Thanks buddy. Nope, no reflections whatsoever. Dont even want to know how much that canopy costs!

Looking close, i dont really see a point in any photo where any canopy surface is perpendicular to my ship.

Glenn

There's usually a point on the canopy perpendicular to the observer; but only one point, so reflections are smaller, like a convex mirror: "objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

I think I see the Bo in this one, Glenn: a dark spot just off the pilot's left shoulder, mingling with the reflection of the horizon. I'm a student of the Raptor's canopy reflections, which often include the runway and ramp at airshows, when the light is right and the Raptor is banked toward the crowd.

[edit for TOPP: Tesla Model S on the ramp at KGNB, elev. 8207]

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19267

Good Morning Jan Arie,

How are you and your family doing?

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4094

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Good Morning Jan Arie,

How are you and your family doing?

Were doing fine for now send you a PM thanks

JWilsonphoto

Here's the C1 Pro discussion, as well as someone getting their rear chewed by a C1 moderator Which kind of struck me as a bit arrogant (and Phase One is definitely arrogant), the poor guy was just postulating that maybe the files are similar and might not take a complete revamp. I love all the billions spent on talking about customer service and how important the customer is, but when it comes down to the actual experience, except for maybe a few companies, like Tesla, the customer gets treated like a dufus more often than not.

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=16633

Seems like some of these ridiculously high end camera manufacturers operate on a modified version of that "I have expensive equipment, therefore I should have access" theorem. There's is our gear is so good, you should beg to buy it, then don't bother us after that with your inconsequential questions and problems. Let's see, um, that philosophy worked well for Kodak. I'd think that if you are making the most expensive camera gear in the world, you would want all the rest of your company attitude to match that high standard. But, what I think, and what I see, seem to be very divergent.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4094

Beechcraft
BBMF Spitfire

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Here's the C1 Pro discussion, as well as someone getting their rear chewed by a C1 moderator Which kind of struck me as a bit arrogant (and Phase One is definitely arrogant), the poor guy was just postulating that maybe the files are similar and might not take a complete revamp. I love all the billions spent on talking about customer service and how important the customer is, but when it comes down to the actual experience, except for maybe a few companies, like Tesla, the customer gets treated like a dufus more often than not.

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=16633

Seems like some of these ridiculously high end camera manufacturers operate on a modified version of that "I have expensive equipment, therefore I should have access" theorem. There's is our gear is so good, you should beg to buy it, then don't bother us after that with your inconsequential questions and problems. Let's see, um, that philosophy worked well for Kodak. I'd think that if you are making the most expensive camera gear in the world, you would want all the rest of your company attitude to match that high standard. But, what I think, and what I see, seem to be very divergent.

Sad, but true, Jim. Let me give you an example of how it's supposed to work...

On Friday morning, Peter and Hanna were driving their Tesla Model S through a remote part of Utah when the main breaker opened inside the sealed battery pack and they were stranded on the side of the road. Peter hiked to a place where he had cell service and called Tesla. Meanwhile, one of the other @TeslaRoadTrip cars happened to pass by and picked the two of them up, repairing to a guest ranch down the road a piece. Tesla arranged for a flatbed and had the car trailered (with its owners in the cab) 350 miles to the Denver service center, where they arrived long after closing time. Four technicians stayed late and prepped a replacement battery pack; they sent Peter and Hanna off to a nearby hotel (comped) in a loaner Model S whose nav was preprogrammed with the hotel's address; they replaced their car's inop battery pack with a new pack and updated the car's firmware (and replaced a sketchy left rear tire while they were at it); they washed the car and swapped it out with the loaner in the middle of the night. Yesterday morning Peter and Hanna got up, had breakfast, and resumed their journey to the east coast. Last I heard they were in Rapid City and making good progress.

Peter and Hanna are precisely zero dollars out of pocket and weren't even put behind schedule. This little exercise in warranty service and customer relations cost Tesla a bundle (the flatbed alone was nearly $2K!), but it engenders priceless goodwill in the larger scheme of things. And it's not an isolated incident: this sort of thing is SOP for Tesla.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

I cant see it Steve, but that doesnt mean its not there! That canopy (and plane for that matter) is pretty much a work of art.

Guess the microjet boys dont have the high tech canopy funds - its like a Bonanza mirror!

Glenn

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

Glenn, the Microjet is downright snazzy..

BillyBlaylock
Total Posts: 85

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Welcome Billy! What aircraft did it launch?

Jim,

According to the literature it launched a Sopwith Camel from it's #2 turrent top and recovered it with a crane. And a belated 'sorry' for the perspective of the ship. It was a handheld snapshot that has a bit of yaw in it - and yeah it bothers me in a "it is not perfect" sort of way!

By the way - this is the poster formerly know as Geaux. I decided an ID change was in order so I suck with my actual name.

BillyBlaylock
Total Posts: 85

nrferguson wrote:
BillyBlaylock wrote:
I had to go pretty far just to make it somewhat interesting so bare with me Although not an airplane it at least was the first "carrier" as it launched the first airplane at sea!

Billy
You'll need to explain more:
Eugene Ely made the first fixed-wing aircraft take-off from a warship from USS Birmingham on 14 November 1910. On 9 May 1912 Commander Charles Samson became the first man to take off from a ship which was underway when he flew his Short S.27 off of HMS Hibernia, which was steaming at 10.5 kn (12.1 mph; 19.4 km/h). Later, removable "flying-off platforms" appeared on the gun turrets of battleships and battlecruisers starting with HMS Repulse, allowing aircraft to be flown off for scouting purposes, although there was no chance of recovery.
Wikipedia says about USS Texas "In 1919 Texas became the first U.S. battleship to launch an aircraft and served as a plane guard and navigational reference for the first trans-Atlantic flight by the seaplane NC-4" and elsewhere it says she was the first US warship to launch a plane by catapult. I doubt I'll ever get to Galveston (although we are changing flights in Dallas Ft Worth in 6 weeks time) but I sort of collect Great War warships - I have yet to visit HMS Caroline in Belfast but have been to the WW1 Monitor in Portsmouth UK, HMS President on the Thames in London, the two UK Coastal Motor Boats and the Greek heavy cruiser Georg Averoff viz.
Niall

Yep that must have been it! Chasing the 9 year old around making sure he didn't take a swan dive off the deck was the main activity of the morning. I probably saw 'first flight' and left it at that - thanks for the clarification.

JWilsonphoto

Nice Zim. I had a hunch, from what you have said in the past, that Tesla is a model for customer service. The truth of the matter is, there has never been a time in my life where personal courtesy, and or customer service is so noticeable. The bar is set so low that the slightest move in a positive direction seems proportionately huge. Tesla's customer care would stand out in the best of times obviously.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9906

And as I believe I've mentioned before, I think you'd love a Tesla Model X to replace the Land Cruiser. Just a thought.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9906

Jan-Arie, the departing banked rear view is a favorite perspective of mine, and that Spitfire of yours is a superlative example. Bravo!

JWilsonphoto

Hi Rodolfo,

I'm sure I would love it, but my schedule barely allows time to fill up at the QT, muchless a charging station. You and Zim do have me scratching my chin about an "S" vs. an Aston. I did pull up next to a brand new Vanquish early Friday morning and the sound was just sensational..........old habits are hard to break.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

1 minute til infamy.......

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2449

My son-in-law suggested registering for 2015 Rugby World Cup (which is in the UK) Great idea, said I, once registered, one could see the ticket prices!!! 330GBP for a first round match and 750GBP for the final!!! TV coverage will be fine!

astrobrian

Trying a different post on this one. C&C welcomed.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

Where were you flying Brian? I havent seen that Mustang before.

Glenn

astrobrian

Glenn Watson wrote:
Where were you flying Brian? I havent seen that Mustang before.

Glenn

We were participating in a memorial flyover in San Marcos and I was lucky enough to get a little bonus time with these guys. First time I had seen this 'Stang as well.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Rodolfo,

I'm sure I would love it, but my schedule barely allows time to fill up at the QT, muchless a charging station. You and Zim do have me scratching my chin about an "S" vs. an Aston. I did pull up next to a brand new Vanquish early Friday morning and the sound was just sensational..........old habits are hard to break.

The beauty of the S is that you spend exactly as much time charging it as you do charging your cell phone: that is, you plug it in when you get home, and it's fully charged in the morning. It actually saves you time compared to stopping at the gas station once or twice a week. I don't know about you, but I can live without spending any time (and money) at gas stations...

Beyond that, the S is just a dream to drive: the electric drivetrain offers instant response, no gear shifting, no vibration and no drama. No muss, no fuss, just GO! It just works, and once you've experienced it, it's hard to view a gas-powered car, no matter how well it's designed, as anything but a noisy, smelly, dirty anachronism.

1       2       3              3872      
       3874              4531       4532       end