Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3870

1       2       3              3870      
       3872              4273       4274       end

david russell
Total Posts: 749

Razor17 wrote:
david russell wrote:
I'm a bit late getting this out, but in the realm of better late than never, I'd like to extend an invitation to the A2A folks to do some G2T (ground to tree) shooting.

I plan to spend a couple of weeks in and around Crested Butte Colorado shooting fall colors during late September and would like to invite any of you who have an interest to join in.

We have a spare room and a pull out couch in our mountain home that we would like to share. PM me if you are interested.

Snipped the pics

Sure wished I had that problem in my back yard, very nice capture..

Well come out, we'll leave the light on for you.....and thanks for the kind words.

Edit. <topp>

Zane Adams
Total Posts: 137

Interesting coincidence this morning, I just finished reading a FaceBook post by my old school friend Jim Doyle about his experience at Hammerfest...he was the 85% guy Then I see this post about it. Sounds like a great time. Well done Glenn first time in the box...nice.

Glenn Watson wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
Any news on how Glenn did in his first competition?

Howdy Ya'll....

9th out of 13.. sounds pretty bad but first place was 85% and i was 71% so it was a pretty tight top 10...pretty awesome experience that will lead to much money being spent....

there were 42 comptetitors in all 5 categories - the biggest Hammerfest in its 12 year history - went off like without a hitch!

This photo pretty much sums up the entire weekend...

Glenn

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16036

I've discovered that Glenn has this quiet way about him, but when he sets his sights on something, he tends to burn a hole in it until he has achieved the goal he has set out for himself. Not a lot of fanfare, he just figures out how to get it done.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2206

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I've discovered that Glenn has this quiet way about him, but when he sets his sights on something, he tends to burn a hole in it until he has achieved the goal he has set out for himself. Not a lot of fanfare, he just figures out how to get it done.

…and a really nice guy too!

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

I heard he's pretty good at A2A shots as well...

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2945

Hi Zane:
I assisted Jim in judging a couple of the other categories this past weekend - hes a really cool dude!

Glenn

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3265

That A2A shoot I did with the Jungmann and RV-8 in Dutch AF colors found its way onto the cover of a Dutch enthusiast's magazine, "Piloot en vliegtuig".

http://www.pilootenvliegtuig.nl/magazine/piloot-vliegtuig-editie-09-2013/

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9713

nrferguson wrote:
Rudolfo
I've got rhe 100-400 and also the 300mm 2.8 (which is a lovely lens and easy to use hand-held). I was warned that the 500mm might be too heavy to handhold, but is lighter than the Mk1 version. I am loathe to mount it for aircraft, but I see quite a few people at airshows with the 400mm 2.8 on a tripod so it can't be impossible. Looking at the shots, apart from the lighting problems, a lot of them have what I think is camera shake - it may be that I need to try a monopod

It's not impossible to mount the lens on a tripod and gimbal. It's simply that you'll be able to capture certain shots (like low passes and approaches) more effectively, at the expense of missing most/all the shots which require significant vertical deflection. It might possibly be a personal bias, but IMHO most of the guys I see with tripods are just there to get what they can get without too much effort. They don't really want the shot.

I'd prefer a 7D with the 100-400 handheld, over a 1Dx with 800/5.6 on a tripod. Sure, those shots you do get with the tripod will be very good; but they'll be a small subset of the possibilities you could capture and you'd miss most of the show. A lot of things happen above you where the gimbal just can't see them, because you can't get down low enough, quickly enough, to frame the shot.

Rodolfo Paiz

I was interviewed for a magazine article recently myself. I posted this on Facebook, but I'll share it here as well. This is an article by Thunderbird Magazine, profiling four family-business practitioners:

http://magazine.thunderbird.edu/article/t-bird-stewards-share-family-business-lessons

stevezzzz

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
nrferguson wrote:
Rudolfo
I've got rhe 100-400 and also the 300mm 2.8 (which is a lovely lens and easy to use hand-held). I was warned that the 500mm might be too heavy to handhold, but is lighter than the Mk1 version. I am loathe to mount it for aircraft, but I see quite a few people at airshows with the 400mm 2.8 on a tripod so it can't be impossible. Looking at the shots, apart from the lighting problems, a lot of them have what I think is camera shake - it may be that I need to try a monopod

It's not impossible to mount the lens on a tripod and gimbal. It's simply that you'll be able to capture certain shots (like low passes and approaches) more effectively, at the expense of missing most/all the shots which require significant vertical deflection. It might possibly be a personal bias, but IMHO most of the guys I see with tripods are just there to get what they can get without too much effort. They don't really want the shot.

I'd prefer a 7D with the 100-400 handheld, over a 1Dx with 800/5.6 on a tripod. Sure, those shots you do get with the tripod will be very good; but they'll be a small subset of the possibilities you could capture and you'd miss most of the show. A lot of things happen above you where the gimbal just can't see them, because you can't get down low enough, quickly enough, to frame the shot.

I concur. I know shooters who go with a gimbal-mounted 600mm f/4 on sticks: they get really great head-on shots but rarely anything directly in front of the crowd or overhead. The panning motion of a hand-held rig is just so much less complex, spatially.

JWilsonphoto

Congratulations to Steve and Rodolfo! The cream always rises to the top!

Rodolfo Paiz

Thank you, sir! Seems like quite a few of us have had nice things happen recently, so lots of congrats to go around.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Congratulations to Steve and Rodolfo! The cream always rises to the top!

Thanks, Jim. An old friend responded to this news by writing, "Well, Steve, it's your own fault. I warned you that your obsession with photography would get you in Dutch."

USM IS
Total Posts: 1232

For Jim.....through the good times and bad always seek the light shinning through.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2135

Looks like the Austin contingent have something to look forward to from March - direct connectivity to London.

http://press.ba.com/?p=3260#more-3260

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

That's great, Steve and Rodolfo

stevezzzz

This Chris Kraft interview features some straight talk about NASA. Sure miss the days when so many people like Chris Kraft were willing to give their all to the space program.

http://bit.ly/1760kk3

JWilsonphoto

MMcGrath wrote:
Looks like the Austin contingent have something to look forward to from March - direct connectivity to London.

Well it is 787 service, so I'm not sure how "direct" it might be...........

JWilsonphoto

Thanks for the link to that interview Zim, kind of sad though. We need the Tesla guy to get involved in that. We could be going to the moon on "AAA" power in a month.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2135

JWilsonphoto wrote:
MMcGrath wrote:

Well it is 787 service, so I'm not sure how "direct" it might be...........

Lol. This is what the view looks like from seat 6A in business class on the BA 787.

1       2       3              3870      
       3872              4273       4274       end