Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3869

1       2       3              3869      
       3871              4284       4285       end

futurshox
Total Posts: 2374

Tim Adams wrote:
1DX catches an amazing accident. The driver walked away.

http://markjrebilas.com/blog/?p=18884

Whoah. Now that is a brown trousers moment.

Hey, top of page time....

Razor17
Total Posts: 302

david russell wrote:
I'm a bit late getting this out, but in the realm of better late than never, I'd like to extend an invitation to the A2A folks to do some G2T (ground to tree) shooting.

I plan to spend a couple of weeks in and around Crested Butte Colorado shooting fall colors during late September and would like to invite any of you who have an interest to join in.

We have a spare room and a pull out couch in our mountain home that we would like to share. PM me if you are interested.

Sure wished I had that problem in my back yard, very nice capture..

Ernie Aubert
Total Posts: 4426

nrferguson wrote:
Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
nrferguson wrote:
Also it was my first outing with my new 500mm F4L II - I have realised I'm in for a very steep learning curve! I tried all combinations of handheld (7D, 5D3, =/- 1.4x converter. It obviously needs to be mounted on a gimbal with a heavyweight tripod (I have a gimbal, but only a lightweight carbon fibre tripod!!).

I can't say much about tripods since I don't use them often, and thankfully followed someone's good advice to buy a good one the first time around. I'm partial to RRS over Gitzo, and that's about all I can tell you that might be useful. But they're both expensive, and there are certainly other options that should give you a good tripod for a much lower cost.

I would recommend sticking to handheld, though. There's just too much radical change in direction -- and in two dimensions no less -- when shooting aviation, and it's bloody hard to rotate yourself and the camera around the tripod's support point in order to pan. Physically hard to do quickly and steadily, not just hard to learn. My suggestion is first to try to do everything you can with this lens, handheld, before contemplating a tripod for aviation use. A few more outings with it may improve your technique a great deal, and a little work on your core, your balance, and your arm/shoulder strength will all go a long way.

Then, if you really find it's too heavy after doing this, you'll have to choose between the limitations of a tripod and gimbal or simply using a lighter kit. You might want the 500 for birding or something else, and so might prefer to stick with the tripod. But if aviation is your primary goal, then a 100-400might be a better lens for you, even though it's shorter and doesn't have quite the same IQ, if its more compact frame and lighter weight mean you can use it more effectively.

Love the Swordfish, by the way!

Rudolfo
I've got rhe 100-400 and also the 300mm 2.8 (which is a lovely lens and easy to use hand-held). I was warned that the 500mm might be too heavy to handhold, but is lighter than the Mk1 version. I am loathe to mount it for aircraft, but I see quite a few people at airshows with the 400mm 2.8 on a tripod so it can't be impossible. Looking at the shots, apart from the lighting problems, a lot of them have what I think is camera shake - it may be that I need to try a monopod
Niall

Just to leave no stone unturned - do you know about the BushHawk? http://bushhawk.com/

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Here's hoping we don't light the fuse on WWIII for a country that can't stand us, and would murder all of us given the opportunity. Haven't we learned this lesson, seen this movie? What the hell is wrong with us? We don't have enough problems at home to work on?

It is not "us" that is the problem, but rather, those who speak "for us".

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2084

I guess the "National Debt" isn't high enough yet. We need to go a few trillion dollars more into the bottomless pit we are in for those that "speak for us" can figure out just what the problem is......themselves.

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1657

Thanks Ernie It looks a very interesting system but, unfortunately, They don't seem to have a UK supplier and I would certainly want to "try before I buy". I think I'll probably try a monopod first (although I do already have a gimbal, so I may have go with that, probably birding, as the airshow season in the UK is just about over for another year)
Niall

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Niall,
if you're handy with a scroll saw and a router, you can make a bush hawk from a nice piece of maple. I just bolted a longer arca style clamp up on top.

the cutout in the back handle is for a Canon cable release, which was held in place with a couple of rubber bands. The hand wraps around the grip and your finger actuates the cable release.

This has worked quite well for me.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16062

gerov

Jim,
did you lose your hat on that one?

Gero

Razor17
Total Posts: 302

Niall, I brought a Gitzo GT5532LS for my Canon 500mm...

Rock solid...

Lynn

astrobrian

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3296

I think that's Glenn in the L-39, and I believe Jim was just trying to pay tribute to a dear friend on the anniversary of his passing.

astrobrian

stevez wrote:
I think that's Glenn in the L-39, and I believe Jim was just trying to pay tribute to his dear friend on the anniversary of his passing.

Oh my I didnt even catch that. So sorry.

gerov

Steve,
thanks for mentioning that. It's a fabulous shot and a nice tribute to Glenn.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2961

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Any news on how Glenn did in his first competition?

Howdy Ya'll....

9th out of 13.. sounds pretty bad but first place was 85% and i was 71% so it was a pretty tight top 10...pretty awesome experience that will lead to much money being spent....

there were 42 comptetitors in all 5 categories - the biggest Hammerfest in its 12 year history - went off like without a hitch!

This photo pretty much sums up the entire weekend...

Glenn

astrobrian

Good going GW! Where is the next one at?

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Y'all. No offense taken, and yes Brian, Glenn loved the fact that I didn't ever flinch. In fact, it was a joking session with Glenn that brought the phrase "Do you want the shot, or not!?" into existence. He sure left a big hole in my life, but that's the chance you take when you love somebody, wouldn't have it any other way.

Sure glad the coming week isn't last year's week, that was a tough one. Thank you all for caring, and for reaching out to me over the last week.

JW

JWilsonphoto

Proud of you Glenn! Way to go Buddy. Knowing how you go after your goals, I look for a big Russian radial to show up in the near future.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1849

Glenn Watson wrote:

Howdy Ya'll....

9th out of 13.. sounds pretty bad but first place was 85% and i was 71% so it was a pretty tight top 10...pretty awesome experience that will lead to much money being spent....

there were 42 comptetitors in all 5 categories - the biggest Hammerfest in its 12 year history - went off like without a hitch!

This photo pretty much sums up the entire weekend...

Glenn

Well done Glenn. I admire your determination and discipline to pursue such a lofty goal. I hope Jim is correct - you'd be quite a sight strapped into a Su-26

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2961

Hi Jeff:

You're right about that - a Sukhoi is quite a lofty goal...however I would have to go with an Su-29 in order to take those willing up and wring them out on the ma2a HQ days!

Glenn

1       2       3              3869      
       3871              4284       4285       end