Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3860

1       2       3              3860      
       3862              4346       4347       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16221

There are a jillion shooters that would give their eye teeth to shoot that quality with all the factors aligning for them Jeff, you're just afflicted with the MA2A overachiever syndrome, lucky you!

Wrei
Total Posts: 2242

Yes Jim, I am certain the current lineup for Canon beats Sigma, (I love my 70-200 f:2.8 IS) however, I was very surprised how many Nikonians were singing Sigma and other lenses praises. As you know, I am looking at Nikon next year as an upgrade to the 5D and maybe 7D. I was surprised so many Nikonians were singing Sigma's praises for their Sigma 85/35 and 120-300 f:2.8.

Hey, when it comes to my grandkids and Texas sunsets, brands don't matter!

ps: I am still waiting on an opportunity to capture a shot that brought me to this thread: your BA dusk photo!

Wrei

Jim, in case you forgot…this is the photo (it did not show, it is on page 733

) I aspire to capture at an airshow sometime! AWESOME!

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Wrei! So glad you like it, even happier that it brought you here.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4547

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Bad news, I received a request from Singapore today to quote a two week shoot for the Black Knights aerobatic team. The time frame would be mid October to early November, obviously over there. 12 days of continuous shooting, still, video, the whole enchilada.

Good news, I respectfully declined cuz I ain't missing HQ Thursday, not that I don't think Y'all couldn't have a great party there without me . Plus, I couldn't face "Angry", if I was gone and couldn't face Angry. The additional good news is that I have work that will take me through 2014 right here in these great United States, why would I go to Singapore? I was honored that they considered me though.

Gee, I declined this same shoot for EXACTLY the same reason Jim...

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1907

JWilsonphoto wrote:
There are a jillion shooters that would give their eye teeth to shoot that quality with all the factors aligning for them Jeff, you're just afflicted with the MA2A overachiever syndrome, lucky you!

You're waaaay to kind Jim - thank you.

Late evening light warms an HMLA-469 Cobra on the ramp at NAF El Centro.

misster
Total Posts: 526

FlyingPhotog wrote:
If everything at Oshkosh was a Harrier, the brown trucks would be so much less of a hassle...
(ETA: This is a Canon 200-400 image @ f/5.6)

'Kind of' WOW factor on Your shot...!

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Bad news, I received a request from Singapore today to quote a two week shoot for the Black Knights aerobatic team. The time frame would be mid October to early November, obviously over there. 12 days of continuous shooting, still, video, the whole enchilada.

Good news, I respectfully declined cuz I ain't missing HQ Thursday, not that I don't think Y'all couldn't have a great party there without me . Plus, I couldn't face "Angry", if I was gone and couldn't face Angry. The additional good news is that I have work that will take me through 2014 right here in these great United States, why would I go to Singapore? I was honored that they considered me though.

Aw Shucks Jim,....you didnt have to do that for us.....
But were mighty impressed that ya did...

Al

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

misster wrote:
FlyingPhotog wrote:
If everything at Oshkosh was a Harrier, the brown trucks would be so much less of a hassle...
(ETA: This is a Canon 200-400 image @ f/5.6)

'Kind of' WOW factor on Your shot...!

VTOL Jello

Awsome shot Jay

Al

JWilsonphoto

I don't know if any of you have used "Clear" for your wifi service. We don't have any hardwired service to the hangar complex so a number of people have tried satellite, repeater stuff, and I use Clear. Really crummy service, very expensive, their tech help is worthless. All in all a very consistent experience. I just picked up an AT&T hot spot and ran tests at HQ with the door down, the acid test. Works great. Bye, bye Clear! Aside from the fact that it works, a perk Clear could only provide very sporadically, it's saving me 45 bucks a month.

When I called them to pull the plug, they routed me through three people (all in India), and they just kept begging me not to drop the "service". The last person asked me if I would stay with them if the dropped my monthly fee to 20 bucks. Let's see, that really ticked me off because I've been paying $75 for a couple of years! When I said that the "service" wasn't worth 20 bucks, they asked if I had any family or friends that I could refer them to for new service...................What?!!?

Wrei

Jim, no one uses Clear, they tolerate it! Usual speed test at the farm:

I complained and they dropped me to $20 last April. I have been searching, but I need unlimited since we use over 30 g/month. The only AT&T available per their web page is "up to 3 mb/s".

I even talked to Verizon, but that would be $130/month.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

You should have told them to pay you 20 bucks a month for the pleasure of sticking around as long as you did.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2171

JWilsonphoto wrote:

Jim,

The Black Knights have just been reformed for next years Singapore Airshow.
Check out the scheme on their F-16s:

http://thebaseleg.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/singapore-re-forms-black-knights.html?m=1

Mark

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

Not a lot happening in Md as usual .. but the backdoor of the Spitfire Hangar was open .. so I did get a peek at a War Bird !! Did seem to be some other * stuff * in the way of a clean shot though .............

Slender Tender & Tall -- hoping that since it's in the hangar they will bring it out for display next month for Easton's Airport Day Sept. 28th.

http://eastonairportday.com/

Just noticed that the planes wheels are not on the floor .. is this some type of moving pad that will slide across this floor without having to hook up a tow tractor to push the plane around ?

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2650

Well, Rare Bear is back on the flat bed headed to Reno.

doigal
Total Posts: 196

Tannkosh, Germany

Great weather on the friday night!

Tannkosh by doigal, on Flickr

JWilsonphoto

Curtis, those are most probably castoring pads that allow 360 degree positioning of the aircraft in the hangar, without the encumbrance having the gear on the floor brings into play. Nice vignette!

msalvetti
Total Posts: 2873

The start of the school year in September always makes me a bit nostalgic. The lengthening late afternoon shadows, earlier sunsets, the color of the light, lots of childhood memories of the end of summer vacation (always spent with my grandmother at a small cottage we had in central Mass) and the start of school.

For the past 17 years we've had first my son and now just my daughter in the local school system. But this is it - my daughter is starting her senior year of high school. With that come her last two seasons of high school sports (soccer and hockey, no spring sport).

I've pretty much decided that 4 years with my 7D is enough. I was hoping to have a 7DII upgrade for this year, but that's not going to happen. So I am going to stop waiting and look for a 1DMkIV. A bit late since soccer starts next week, but the 7D isn't bad for daylight. I'm looking for better high ISO (I'm at 4000 all winter) and low light AF.

I've noticed that places like Henry's, Roberts, and Calumet have been selling used MkIV's on eBay for around $2500, and they often have a 6 month warranty. So that's kind of the ballpark price range I'm shooting for. If anyone has a lead on a good MkIV like that, I'd appreciate it if you sent it my way.

Thanks!

Mark

Razor17
Total Posts: 336

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Curtis, those are most probably castoring pads that allow 360 degree positioning of the aircraft in the hangar, without the encumbrance having the gear on the floor brings into play. Nice vignette!

Plus they usually paint the floors and black skid marks aren't sought after very much....

Really nice capture...

Lynn

Razor17
Total Posts: 336

msalvetti wrote:
The start of the school year in September always makes me a bit nostalgic. The lengthening late afternoon shadows, earlier sunsets, the color of the light, lots of childhood memories of the end of summer vacation (always spent with my grandmother at a small cottage we had in central Mass) and the start of school.

For the past 17 years we've had first my son and now just my daughter in the local school system. But this is it - my daughter is starting her senior year of high school. With that come her last two seasons of high school sports (soccer and hockey, no spring sport).

I've pretty much decided that 4 years with my 7D is enough. I was hoping to have a 7DII upgrade for this year, but that's not going to happen. So I am going to stop waiting and look for a 1DMkIV. A bit late since soccer starts next week, but the 7D isn't bad for daylight. I'm looking for better high ISO (I'm at 4000 all winter) and low light AF.

I've noticed that places like Henry's, Roberts, and Calumet have been selling used MkIV's on eBay for around $2500, and they often have a 6 month warranty. So that's kind of the ballpark price range I'm shooting for. If anyone has a lead on a good MkIV like that, I'd appreciate it if you sent it my way.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark, give www.keh.com a look to see what they have. They are out of Atlanta, GA...

Lynn

1       2       3              3860      
       3862              4346       4347       end