nrferguson
Total Posts: 1780

I'm for Plan B
Niall
Edited for TOP

RobMoser
Total Posts: 843

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Jumped the chocks during a test run. I'd hate to have to make the call to the owner....................

Back when I was traveling to NJ every week that happened to a Delta jet (don't remember which model) in the terminal at Newark. I think they were trying for a new boarding approach. To heck with the powered ramps; just drive right into the terminal.

Rob

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

Couple of AC that came in pretty fast last night right when I made it out to the airport.

Came in fast for two passengers and left quickly

about the same time seen this guy finally heading out to the runway

Then this Citation came in ( note all landing from the wrong direction ;(

This guy decides to take off

with this one in the background and

and this one inbound

I put em up a bit large, hope they hold up ..... feel like I'm going backwards ...

DanNehmer
Total Posts: 282

Hi All,

Since there is always an "opinion" here regarding all things photography related I thought I would post this gear question.

Since starting my current work position 2 years ago I will be going on my 8th trip to Japan, leaving this Thursday. All I have seen in the past 7 trips is airports, train stations, restaurants, hotels, and corporate meeting rooms. UGGH! Going 2 days early this trip and planning to go to Hiroshima and Kyoto. Wanting to travel light, what is a good gear choice I have 6D, 7D, 16-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 17-85 EF-s, 35 f2.0, and 50 f1.4 to choose from. I'm not thinking of taking a long lens (I do have 70-200 f2.8 and 70-300 f4-5.6 to choose from) as I don't think it will be needed in the city's, settings I will be seeing.

I am leaning towards the 6D, 16-35 f2.8, and 50 f1.4 to keep the kit small. Will also take a EX 430 for flash. Is this a good choice or what other considerations should I take?

Dan

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9758

To travel as light as possible, you might consider taking just one body and the 17-85 as a high-end P&S...

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9758

stevez wrote:
As for a possible Vulcan A2A: Count me in!

I'm in like Flynn...

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1959

Southwest Airlines departing Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport into an approaching storm.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4598

Very nice Jeff...

DanNehmer
Total Posts: 282

Rodolfo,

Thanks for the idea. I will only take one body but since buying the 6D I reach for it most often yet...... You are right, the 7D with the 17-85 is a good choice, good camera, and covers a good range with light weight. The full frame also means heavier lens too.

Thanks,
Dan

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3674

Well thought tonight lets watch something else on the computer.
Lets see where the American's listen to so I downloaded the2013 CMA Music Festival: Country's Night to Rock say whaaaat seeing 50.000 crazy fans going mental on the leading country artists well it was something different but I liked it crazy people

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16411

Hi Dan,

I think your instincts are correct, take the 6D and a lens. You might want something with little more reach like Rodolfo suggested.

Have a great trip!

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2203

The Vulcan has done Air 2 Air missions before.

At least one of these was from the Skyvan photo platform that Kev Jackson shot quite a few of his A2A shots from. These are the guys who run the Air 2 Air from the Skyvan. http://www.air2air-academy.com

The Vulcan does a lot of corporate stuff with the Blades aerobatic team and their Extras.

JWilsonphoto

Took a client's son foe a Cub ride early this morning, then headed off to my hello shoot. No joy on the target within the TFR, but we asked, and we got very close, just not close enough. Enjoying a late lunch and a gallon of iced tea.

We have a new deal in class B around here. You must submit, in writing, your request, with a map depiction of your targets, at least 24 hours in advance. I was pleased to see that Jake had all our ducks in a row. What I thought was going to take at least 2 hours on the Hobbs, took 1.3 due to our organized plan and very light winds. Gotta love that, great for the bottom line. Today's weather could not have been more perfect, a good 15 degrees below where it should be, climate change I can live with!

JWilsonphoto

Thanks for the info Mark. I hope it doesn't come off as too snooty, but I'd rather take a beating than shoot a subject like the Vulcan from a Skycan. Few things worse than realizing you are limited and you have an incredible subject in your sights.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4598

MMcGrath wrote:
The Vulcan has done Air 2 Air missions before.

At least one of these was from the Skyvan photo platform that Kev Jackson shot quite a few of his A2A shots from. These are the guys who run the Air 2 Air from the Skyvan. http://www.air2air-academy.com

The Vulcan does a lot of corporate stuff with the Blades aerobatic team and their Extras.

There's also an old-school film out there somewhere of the Vulcan being shot air to air from remote cameras on the tails of several Red Arrows jets. Film shows all the prep, mounting, etc...

MMcGrath

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Took a client's son foe a Cub ride early this morning, then headed off to my hello shoot. No joy on the target within the TFR, but we asked, and we got very close, just not close enough. Enjoying a late lunch and a gallon of iced tea.

We have a new deal in class B around here. You must submit, in writing, your request, with a map depiction of your targets, at least 24 hours in advance. I was pleased to see that Jake had all our ducks in a row. What I thought was going to take at least 2 hours on the Hobbs, took 1.3 due to our organized plan and very light winds. Gotta love that, great for the bottom line. Today's weather could not have been more perfect, a good 15 degrees below where it should be, climate change I can live with!

Jim,

sounds like you might need to use a longer lens - maybe something like a 300F4 with a TC to give you the extra reach you need.

MMcGrath

For the Gopro users amongst us -

Gopro no longer recommend using Sandisk cards when shooting in 2.7K or 4K modes. Apparently the Sandisk cards can't write the data fast enough.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1959

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Very nice Jeff...

Thanks for the kind words my brother.

Razor17
Total Posts: 351

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Very nice Jeff...

+1

Razor17
Total Posts: 351

JWilsonphoto wrote:

I think FedEx has arrived...
Thank you Steve

1       2       3              3846      
       3848              4395       4396       end