Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3846

1       2       3              3846      
       3848              4529       4530       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Wow, that didn't take long: your support has already pushed 'Bow Watch' over the 1000 point threshold and into the light, as it were. That's the power of social media: thanks to all who voted!

stevezzzz

Arizona photographer Mike Olbinski captures

" target="_blank">time lapse footage of a small wildfire blowing up into a real conflagration.

stevezzzz

I've published a couple more test reels of Garmin VIRB Elite footage on my website.

This one shows me stopping the prop and doing some engine-off soaring in the new 15-meter Pipistrel Sinus Flex, followed by my first no-engine landing at KBDU. Note the wing flex and how it makes the cockpit seem like it's moving around in the frame.

The other clip shows a late afternoon takeoff and a some crepuscular rays over Boulder as yesterday's cold front moved in. Landing in a crosswind blowing 21G28 in the long-wing Sinus is a bit of a challenge!

http://www.stevezphoto.us/virbtest/h3b93cb96#h3b93cb96
http://www.stevezphoto.us/virbtest/hacfa26e#hacfa26e

futurshox
Total Posts: 2775

So here's something completely different for y'all. Back in March I paid a visit to the Jet Age Museum which recently opened at Gloucester Airport. It's only a stone's throw from the old Brockworth Airfield where Gloster Aircraft Company was based. So the museum features their products pretty heavily.

They also had this display case about Russell Adams, who was a leading aviation photographer in the 50s and 60s. They have his old kit here. Boys and girls, this is how it used to be done...

If you want to see more of his work, check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Jet-Age-Photographer-Aviation-Photography/dp/0750940093# I have a copy; lots of good stuff inside.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9906

MMcGrath wrote:
Did you go to see the Tour de France in London yesterday?

We did make the attempt, and found a nice spot where both the kids and the camera would get a great view; but we had to bail before the peloton arrived at our location: too many other people wanted to be right behind us, and it was getting very squishy. Too good a spot, I guess.

The time was well-spent in any case. I think the kids' minds are reeling from the firehose of history we've thrown at them this week.

carrg1954
Total Posts: 1262

https://stevezimmermann.see.me/post/1078519?tab=image
done, good luck

Razor17
Total Posts: 465

stevez wrote:
My photo, "Bow Watch" is in the running to be displayed 200' high in Times Sqaure. You can enhance my chances by clicking through the link below and either 'Like' the work, or purchase a T-shirt or postcard. Thanks in advance...

https://stevezimmermann.see.me/post/1078519?tab=image

Done, good luck...

stevezzzz

Jan-Arie wrote:
Mmm those Brazilians are not laughing at the moment 0-5 for Germany in the first half of the game

Oof, that was a brutal result.

http://on.ft.com/1jdH2CK

stevezzzz

FlyingPhotog wrote:
I'm told that because the Fireworks Drone driver violated the USGC's exclusion zone, he's facing $40K in fines and 5-10 yrs in jail...

Bet he didn't see that one coming...

Wait, the Coast Guard now claims jurisdiction over the airspace above waterways? The FAA won't stand still for that, I bet. I see a long bout of legal wrangling over this one: the boom in multi-rotor 'copters is creating a regulatory nightmare and it will take a long time to sort out.

And just in case it was needed, here's a reminder that a Phantom is essentially a flying Cuisinart with no safety interlocks, and that these things warrant an operators' extreme caution when flown in the vicinity of other people. You can bet I have a newfound respect for the dangers.

No, it wasn't a case of me snatching it out of the air at the end of a flight; and, yes, that's my blood on the fuselage. I'll share the whole sorry tale via PM if you want to hear it. The short version: think before you act. Also: automation can be a two-edged sword.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

Some interesting stuff has just come up for sale, Battle of Britain collection, and this P-51.

http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!p-51d-n38227/c132k

Price is too steep. 1.5, then you have to spend a boat load of money to restore it.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

stevez wrote:

And just in case it was needed, here's a reminder that a Phantom is essentially a flying Cuisinart with no safety interlocks, and that these things warrant an operators' extreme caution when flown in the vicinity of other people. You can bet I have a newfound respect for the dangers.

No, it wasn't a case of me snatching it out of the air at the end of a flight; and, yes, that's my blood on the fuselage. I'll share the whole sorry tale via PM if you want to hear it. The short version: think before you act. Also: automation can be a two-edged sword.

Looks like the UAV took a bite of of you and you took a bite of of it. That rotor blade had to hit you hard to incur that damage. Med quickly Steve

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4118

Tim Adams wrote:
Some interesting stuff has just come up for sale, Battle of Britain collection, and this P-51.

Price is too steep. 1.5, then you have to spend a boat load of money to restore it.

Be kool to buy that and a couple of 109's, even if they just sat there.

stevezzzz

I just received a package from 42º S. containing comp copies of the official commemorative book published to record the 2014 Warbirds Over Wanaka International Airshow. Author Jill Herron asked us, the book photographers, to send her a dozen of our best shots. In the end she used nearly forty of my images, including the title page shot you see in the photo below; Jill even even included another photographer's shot of me in my orange safety vest, chimping, after a photo pass by one of the performers. The other principal book photographers are Gavin Conroy, Philip Makanna, Glenn Alderton and Geoff Soper: pretty good company, I'd say.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

stevez wrote:
I just received a package from 42º S. containing comp copies of the official commemorative book published to record the 2014 Warbirds Over Wanaka International Airshow. Author Jill Herron asked us, the book photographers, to send her a dozen of our best shots. In the end she used nearly forty of my images, including the title page shot you see in the photo below; Jill even even included another photographer's shot of me in my orange safety vest, chimping, after a photo pass by one of the performers. The other principal book photographers are Gavin Conroy, Philip Makanna, Glenn Alderton and Geoff Soper: pretty good company, I'd say.

Very well done Steve. Your images are truly deserving of such notice. I'd say Messrs. Conroy, Makanna, Alderton and Soper feel equally honored to rub shoulders with a photographer of your talent. Excellent work as usual

Shaggy Wolf
Total Posts: 629

I don't see this on the last couple of pages, so hopefully it hasn't been posted before:

A quick little video by the Thunderbird's official photographer. What an awesome job.

stevezzzz

Jeff W. wrote:
stevez wrote:

Looks like the UAV took a bite of of you and you took a bite of of it. That rotor blade had to hit you hard to incur that damage. Med quickly Steve

The rotor blade had already shattered before the Phantom took its pound of flesh out of me, Geoff. I don't know which bits bit me, if you catch my meaning, but I doubt very much it was the broken blade or I'd look a lot worse than I do already.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4092

Tim Adams wrote:

Movie clip of the same aircraft

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Nicely done with the NZ book Zim! Sorry your quad turned on you...

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2447

next week is Farnborough International 2014 and they have started practicing. As I came up the M3 from Southampton today I saw the F-16 leaving and just caught the end of the Red Arrows practice. The big question is whether the F-35B will be back in the air for Farnborough and RIAT. 5hrs ago the UK Defence Minister was saying doubtful will make RIAT but may make Farnborough.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/09/uk-lockheed-fighter-idUKKBN0FE1P620140709
and
http://www.defensenews.com/article/20140708/DEFREG02/307080026/US-Marine-F-35Bs-Could-Make-Airshows-Even-UK-Jets-Do-Not

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19252

Well done Zim!

Phantom/Piraña sure can get you.

That fireworks guy is going to be very busy for a very long time. I doubt JR would have enjoy the legal battle that that fellow is facing. I would guess that he can't afford to fight it, so "off to prison he must go, he must go, he must go....." .

Like I said, I had all these creative ideas prior to launching mine. Once it left the ground all I could see was liability. The average photographer with ten bucks in his or her pocket and assets totaling a grand or two, doesn't have to sweat liability, because no lawyer will go after them if there isn't a deep pocket in there somewhere, but the Feds don't care about that. I'd guess that they are looking for an example as well, to stem the tide to some degree. Not looking good for walking away from that deal.

1       2       3              3846      
       3848              4529       4530       end