Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3845

1       2       3              3845      
       3847              4345       4346       end

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4546

Thanks Zim...

There were a couple of those long-winged motor gliders at Osh this year.

Nice POV on Spooky.

ETOP:

Howard 500 Fly By

futurshox
Total Posts: 2415

A buddy of mine flies one of those long wings with Team Tuskegee, although he didn't fly at OSH. Here's a link to his blog which mentions some of the shows he has been at: http://airspeedonline.com/category/stephen-force/

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3430

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Thanks Zim...

There were a couple of those long-winged motor gliders at Osh this year.

Nice POV on Spooky.

ETOP:

Howard 500 Fly By

Wait, the Howard's been approved for ETOPS?

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4546

In this case, it meant "Edit, Top Of Page"

But, they did get the blue and silver one to the states from Europe, so...

World's Angriest Hummingbird

ELinder
Total Posts: 511

futurshox wrote:
A buddy of mine flies one of those long wings with Team Tuskegee, although he didn't fly at OSH. Here's a link to his blog which mentions some of the shows he has been at: http://airspeedonline.com/category/stephen-force/

Those are the folks in my photos, and that was the show they were at.

Steve, that Schweitzer twin boom certainly is an ugly duckling!

Erich

Ernie Aubert
Total Posts: 4494

But beautiful compared to an A-10!

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 774

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Wonder what it would take to entice the Vulcan folks to arrange a true (our timing/light/platform) air to air with the aircraft? The upside for them would be timeless imagery, and of course flying with some really great people.

Set Mode Dream = ON / Device = Nick

Well Jim the Vulcan thing is a bit like a box of frogs. On the one hand it's mad, silly, and wonderful – and on the other hand – completely out of control if your daft enough to take the lid off the box.

When they got the CAA chit to fly in 2008 (http://www.caa.co.uk/aandocs/27038/27038000000.pdf) they had seven engines, with a limit of 50hrs on each and where limited to 15,000 ft and 300 knots. Since then they have lost two engines to fod (silica gel desiccant bags) and have tried to talk RR into extending the life of at least one other engine. They have to do the leading edge mod to buy some more Fatigue Index flying time – Oh, and they have just been cleared for daytime IFR !!! (http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/486/82/CAA-Press-Release.html). So a bit of a mixed bag shall we say?

So who knows? A very big lump of cash might persuade them to fly it over to North America. Make no mistake if they did that it would be an absolute smash hit with the air show crowds. Nothing quite like a tin triangle making lots of noise. Now put that together with Art and his Sea Harrier – more noise – then round it out with as many Spitfires as you like. Oh, and top it off with the Red Arrows. Total Brit Love In – not a dry eye in the house!

As for “booking” it to fly in the UK – well I understand that getting an “appearance” at a show starts at about £9K ish. No idea what you could use as a photo platform – Shorts Sky Van?

Set Mode Dream = OFF / Device = Nick.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2242

A Vulcan from the Falklands War came to the Ellington Air Show in 1982 or 83. Yes, it was loud, flew low and was a spectacular sight. Saturday we got one of our local 10 minute rain showers. The wings provided cover for about 172 patrons.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16221

Dear Nick,

We could transport the team to you a lot cheaper than vice versa. Nine grand, plus the cost of a photo ship, is a totally doable neighborhood. Where is it based? What are the backgrounds like close by? I'd go out on a limb and say we could raise a minimum of 15 grand for 30 minutes in the air with the Vulcan. Maybe that's nonsense and it would take multiples of that to catch someone's eye. Just sayin' we could get that done.

JWilsonphoto

A Billy Mitchell is the only suitable platform. There must be one around.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2415

I am probably operating on old news, but the nearest B-25 I believe is in the Netherlands. Not all that far. The Vulcan is in Yorkshire, is it not? Yorkshire=Beautiful. Probably not all that far flight time to north Wales; also=beautiful.

JWilsonphoto

Man! I have one target tomorrow that is just within the 1nm TFR around W's home. The helicopter pilot turns pale when I ask if there isn't some way to get this project. The TFR is in Class "B", it's 1nm up to 1,500' AGL. If my flight training is correct, we could orbit that site at 1600' AGL for a minute while speaking with DFWAPCH/Love Field. Not interested in getting a missile suppository, but I sure would like to get this site for my client.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3430

My guess is that the Class B controllers would be ultra-reluctant to put you within 1nm of W's place at any altitude they own. But, as my old daddy used to say,"It never hurts to ask."

As for a possible Vulcan A2A: Count me in!

We could call it Operation (Slice Of) Pie In The Sky...

JWilsonphoto

I suspect you are right Zim. Not one easily daunted, we'll just see what happens when we're in the air.

Sounds great! "Operation "Pie In The Sky" is officially in motion

JWilsonphoto

Here's a little atmospherics over The Great Lakes.....................

JWilsonphoto

The sun rises on a foggy morning as the Skylane and I made our way northwest for a week long assignment........

JWilsonphoto

Somewhere over central Kansas, droning back to KTKI...........................

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1726

futurshox wrote:
I am probably operating on old news, but the nearest B-25 I believe is in the Netherlands. Not all that far. The Vulcan is in Yorkshire, is it not? Yorkshire=Beautiful. Probably not all that far flight time to north Wales; also=beautiful.

The Dutch B-25 is the Royal Brabant Airforce one (Red Bull has another in Germany) It will be at Dunsfold Wings and Wheels on the 24/25 August weekend (and so will I, it's only about 25miles from home).
Niall

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3613

nrferguson wrote:
futurshox wrote:

The Dutch B-25 is the Royal Brabant Airforce one (Red Bull has another in Germany) It will be at Dunsfold Wings and Wheels on the 24/25 August weekend (and so will I, it's only about 25miles from home).
Niall

The B25 is the former Duke of Brabant Airforce B25 and is now property of the Royal Dutch Airforce as part of their flying history.

http://www.skhv.nl/index.php?lang=en

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 774

Operation Pie In The Sky

The Vulcan is based here:- Google Maps 53.483131, -1.010161

http://www.robinhoodairport.com/

Plan A:- I'm with Lady Jo - good back ground for A2A might be North Wales. As for a Billy – I'm not sure – but there may not be a UK based one at all.

Plan B:- Book the Vulcan to do a re-enactment of RAF low level training by getting them to fly around the MACH Loop in Wales. Togs go up the hill and take photos look across / down on the beast as it flies by.

Plan C:- Y'all come over for a holiday. One day we all invade the Scottish National Museum Of Flight (http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/museum_of_flight.aspx). Armed with ladders and scaffolding we fake an A2A using the static Vulcan they have there. Google Maps:- 55.995226, -2.723450

1       2       3              3845      
       3847              4345       4346       end