Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3825

1       2       3              3825      
       3827              4395       4396       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3512

First keeper from today's A2A with a pair of C-47s, at Topeka's Gathering of Warbirds and Legends. This one's the gunship 'Spooky'.

If you've ever sat in the airless cabin of a C-47 in the sun with ambient temperatures in the low 90's, you will understand me when I tell you that I'm still trying to replace the sweat I lost before we got airborne and were able to walk around and open the side windows.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16411

Way to go Zim! I see that they recognize talent up there in Topeka! I've been whereof you speak in the stifling heat and humidity in a tin tube, actually borderline dangerous, drink up.

JWilsonphoto

My helo shoot went off without a hitch. 102 degrees, winds 10/20 emphasis on the 20. Altitude required was 175'. KS4x4, absolutely...................

futurshox
Total Posts: 2447

Greetings from Dusty, star of #OSH13

JWilsonphoto

Typically don't like shooting out of R22's, but my pilot Jake is an artist with the 22 and 44 so it works out fine.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

The master at work.

JWilsonphoto

You're very kind Brian, just an old shooter plying his trade. Gotta love the D800. These files needed to be cropped from the bottom to get rid of unwanted property. The 800 still leaves you with a hefty file to do anything that needs to be done. And the 4x4 assured that, regardless of what the air is doing, the image will be sharp from corner to corner.

stevezzzz

Thanks, Jim!

Here's another: Spooky and Sky King.

As a side note, there was a gentleman here today who flew the Sky King airframe back in W.W.II; he got himself a ride in the P-51 early in the day, and then I believe he flew in Sky King later in the afternoon as well. Here he is before his P-51 flight with the the owner/pilot of the P-51D Pecos Bill.

stevezzzz

Here's another of the W.W.II vets who got P-51 rides today. In this pic he's holding up the snapshots he's kept as mementos all these years: check out the Corodado flying boat he piloted!

I need some advice: which of the two is better: the one with his face in focus, or the one where the photos he's holding up are sharp?

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1959

stevez wrote:
Here's another of the W.W.II vets who got P-51 rides today. In this pic he's holding up the snapshots he's kept as mementos all these years: check out the Corodado flying boat he piloted!

I need some advice: which of the two is better: the one with his face in focus, or the one where the photos he's holding up are sharp?

Face in focus for me Steve. I get all I need from the old photos soft.

david russell
Total Posts: 749

Jeff W. wrote:
stevez wrote:

Face in focus for me Steve. I get all I need from the old photos soft.

Yeah, what Jeff said.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

It's all about the eyes as they say in portraits, so I agree, face.

mrkyle
Total Posts: 594

stevez wrote:

Absolutely face in focus. But thanks for showing the other view I love seeing those old snapshots.

stevezzzz

Once more: Spooky and Sky King over Topeka...

stevezzzz

mrkyle wrote:
stevez wrote:

Absolutely face in focus. But thanks for showing the other view I love seeing those old snapshots.

We have a consensus! How rare is that?

Thanks for setting me straight...

JDE1
Total Posts: 23

stevez wrote:
Once more: Spooky and Sky King over Topeka...

Very interesting effect, but you're sure to be asked (by "outsiders") if it is a photo or some sort of painting.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2291

Just to bump us up top.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2203

Final approach into my local airport last night.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3674

Were do I start great stuff Steve, Jo, Mark, Eddie Everybody!!!

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

nrferguson wrote:
I'm thinking of getting Lenscoat covers for my 500mm and 300mm L glass but reviews are a bit iffy. Does anyone have personal experience? I assume they come in sections for each bit, but the the focussing ring naked - what happens over the buttons?
Niall

Got one over my 300F2.8L..
Great thing protects it from dirty & crud,...& knocks..
Plastic window over buttons ,..still works fine.

Al

1       2       3              3825      
       3827              4395       4396       end