Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3825

1       2       3              3825      
       3827              4531       4532       end

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

Jim, have you had a chance to shoot a Phase One yet besides the in house demo that you went to?

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19265

HI Ryan,

No I haven't. I just haven't had time to arrange getting their gear. They call me once a week and I keep putting them off. My shooting schedule is the biggest hang up, but a couple of minor ones exist as well. That's a huge investment given that there are no T/S lenses in the system, and demoing the Phase One will cost me a grand in insurance. If I just wanted to shoot the stuff on one type of assignment, I could secure a policy and cancel it if I decided not to go ahead with a purchase, but I'd like to shoot three or four different subjects with it over a period of a few weeks, so it would basically cost me a $1,000 for $75,000 in additional coverage. Kind of an expensive demo.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Being billed as "The First Air Force One", this aircraft is sitting in a desert in Arizona rotting away. They're trying to get it into a museum.

" target="_blank">

Columbine III was Eisenhower's personal aircraft.
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=568

Dear Laura:

While I appreciate the enthusiasm folks are trying to generate for restoring Columbine II, I want to suggest the it isn't exactly "rotting away" at its current location. I suspect that is some well-intended hyperbole to tug at heart strings and generate donations. There is a reason that the deserts of the southwest are where you will find much of the military and commercial aircraft storage facilities in the US. It is precisely because the weather does not "rot away" the aircraft. Quite the opposite. The hot dry climate helps to preserve the aircraft for future restoration and use.

I hope things go well for restoring this historic aircraft, but I've visited it myself and it is doing fine.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

As testimony to what Jeff is saying, consider that the Boeing "Dash 80" sat at AMARG for almost 20 years before being flown back to Seattle for final restoration for NASM donation.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9308

Sorry guys, I know AZ is the biggest boneyard, I meant to put quote marks around that "rotting away".

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9308

Dropping in on a ball game..

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Sorry guys, I know AZ is the biggest boneyard, I meant to put quote marks around that "rotting away".

"Languishing" might be the more accurate word...

Shaggy Wolf
Total Posts: 629

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Shag, if you only shoot one or two events a year, by all means rent the thing! $200 a year for those 10 days -- even $300/year for three five-day rentals -- is much cheaper than owning it.

Yeah, it certainly is. It's nice to own though, but we'll see. Upgrading my body (camera body, though I probably should hit the gym on the occasion, too) is probably a better use of money. The D80 is a pretty decent camera, but the 3FPS for 2 seconds, then 1FPS afterwards is killer. It has a pretty ridiculous battery life, even without the grip, I can take several thousand pictures at a show before I have to swap the battery, with VR on and no flash. A used D300s would be a major leap, and isn't too terribly expensive. I could also then keep the D80 around, it's only worth maybe 100-200 bucks on the used market. It's got about 25k clicks on it, I think the MTBF on the shutter is 100k, so it should last a few years at least.

Of course, this is all conjecture. 3 month old kid, no money to do that! I'll just keep myself warm by digging through all of the photos that I have lying around and trying to get more posted.

Aviationbuff
Total Posts: 723

Sean Tucker climbs while inverted at the 2014 Great Tennessee airshow.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4094

Hi all just a question for the Texas folks are there any interesting tourist things to see around the DFW - KAFW area in the week before Alliance.... i'm in the pre stages of planning would had like to do a mini trip with for example Colorado - Montana but that is a little to costly at the moment but i'm still looking around for possibilities ....

futurshox
Total Posts: 2775

You could come to Austin :-)

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2012

I also had fun at the JRB.

Jan-Arie

Sea Fury
Super Etandard French Navy

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Hmm, a couple of days visiting Jo with her 'Pub knowledge' in the Austin area...priceless!

JakeB17
Total Posts: 324

In case you guys haven't already seen this, a pretty awesome aerial cine reel.

I'm not familiar with the director, but it looks like he directed the aerial unit for this film, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421974/?ref_=nm_flmg_asst_2, which has some great air to air cine work.

Jan-Arie

You know how to convince people Ray

Jan-Arie

Dutch Airforce Historic Flight B25

futurshox
Total Posts: 2775

Wrei wrote:
Hmm, a couple of days visiting Jo with her 'Pub knowledge' in the Austin area...priceless!

Ha ha! I'm sure we could find a few aeroplanes too; there's a couple of CAF places in the area. And maybe Glenn and I can fight over which BBQ shop to take J-A to (It's gotta be Salt Lick Driftwood... just sayin')

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

Jan-Arie wrote:
Hi all just a question for the Texas folks are there any interesting tourist things to see around the DFW - KAFW area in the week before Alliance.... i'm in the pre stages of planning would had like to do a mini trip with for example Colorado - Montana but that is a little to costly at the moment but i'm still looking around for possibilities ....

Too bad you can't stay an extra week, and catch F1 in Austin.

Mark

Jan-Arie

msalvetti wrote:
Jan-Arie wrote:

Too bad you can't stay an extra week, and catch F1 in Austin.

Mark

Tried that then i would go to Houston for the airshow F4 A4 F100 take that at any time over F1

1       2       3              3825      
       3827              4531       4532       end