Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3820

1       2       3              3820      
       3822              4530       4531       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Well today was spent at HQ pouring over video blogs and technical specs. I dusted off my XHA1 and bought a couple of Sony Pro Mini DV tapes. Until I can begin to make sense out of some of this, I'm going to play with the XH a little. Came very close to pulling the trigger on a C100, but read a little more and found myself moving up to the C300, then the C500, at which point I grew a little weak in the knees and dove back into my research.

I had a couple of discussions with my people at Really Right Stuff and, based upon a little inside info, I did order my RRS Fluid Head and the appropriate adapters. Seems that their new fluid head meets and in some cases, exceeds the specs and performance of heads costing many times the RRS price. They estimated my delivery at about ten weeks, if I jumped in line today, it seems that the backlog is increasing daily. They do make outstanding stuff, just works and feels good in one's hands. I think I'll be putting my Gitzo in reserve and picking up their carbon fiber pod shortly.

Well, I can't speak to the fluid head, but the four-segment heavy-duty RRS carbon-fiber tripod that I bought (on Jeff's recommendation) is the sort of thing that you can't fault. It's sturdy, it's lightweight, and with no center column, it's rock steady. Did I mention that extending only three of the four segments put the camera at eye level? If you want to put the camera where you have to stand on a stepstool just to look through the viewfinder, that can be done, too.

stevezzzz

In other news, a container with two more Pipistrels showed up at my hangar today; the time-lapse video of the container unloading is here. Though only one of them is staying with me, I'm beginning to sense that I have fleet problems.

http://www.stevezphoto.us/pipistrel619

The new Pipistrel is a Sinus Flex 15-meter motorglider with an 80hp Rotax engine. It's owned in partnership; for both of us it will our 'recreational' airplane, behind (in his case) a Beech Baron and (in mine) the Pipistrel Virus SWiS.

Anybody want to buy a very nice, well maintained Remos?

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

All that time passing and not a manual anywhere in sight...

Color me impressed!

Aviationbuff
Total Posts: 723

FIFI at Sunset - From the 2013 PDK Atlanta visit.

FlyingPhotog

Already have someone asking about getting a print of "Let There Be Flight" at 96" wide!

High-Dynamic Trojan

FlyingPhotog

The Smoking Lamp Is Lit...

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4092

gerov wrote:
J-A,
very nice, especially the Tornado. If I may - I think the second crop works better for me with your watermark configuration, as I find the band a bit distracting.

Jay,
that last one, is, well, umm, spectacular.

Gero

I get your point, thats the problem with working on a laptop for me that is i'm going to make a action button for that one..

Aero_70
Total Posts: 90

J-A.. Love those shots.

stevezzzz

FlyingPhotog wrote:
All that time passing and not a manual anywhere in sight...

Color me impressed!

Notice that we didn't actually put the wings on either bird: the manuals will come out this morning before we do.

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4118

Jan-Arie wrote:
Thanks Bill one more

Only been up abouve a plane like that one time, two F15's, what a site to see. Nice work.

richhrly
Total Posts: 993

JWilsonphoto wrote:
And not pretty, but she does what she does really well. How are you Rich?

Bit of a delayed response! Very well thanks Jim, yourself? Been extra busy at work recently. Yesterday we came in the top 3 of Tech Startups in Europe, and there's quite a few exciting things in the pipeline. Getting to indulge my inner photo-geek a bit, currently researching air pistols so I can doing some high speed shots with our laser triggers!

Jan-Arie, I've got a few friends down at FFD shooting the Buffs and B2s, I'm not too far away but couldn't get down! Impressive shots! Also loving your Tonka shots from the loop!

stevezzzz

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Already have someone asking about getting a print of "Let There Be Flight" at 96" wide!

The first inquiry, but surely not the last: that image is just stellar.

You planning to clone out some offending background stuff, too, Jay?

Jan-Arie

BAe Hawk T2 Cad West Today

carrg1954
Total Posts: 1262

great shots J-A

FlyingPhotog

stevez wrote:
FlyingPhotog wrote:

I suppose I could knock down a pole or two but honestly (and I'm usually very aggressive on that kind of stuff) it's not that bad to my eye.

Not going to remove the other parked planes and I'll leave it tied down as well because I think that fits the "waiting / wanting to fly" vibe.

Open to suggestions though...

Jan-Arie

Up close and personal

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

FlyingPhotog wrote:
stevez wrote:
FlyingPhotog wrote:

I suppose I could knock down a pole or two but honestly (and I'm usually very aggressive on that kind of stuff) it's not that bad to my eye.

Not going to remove the other parked planes and I'll leave it tied down as well because I think that fits the "waiting / wanting to fly" vibe.

Open to suggestions though...

FWIW Jay - I'd leave it as is. As you know, I'm prone to over-exercising the clone tool; however, I truly didn't notice the 'offending' things until eagle-eyes Zimmermann brought them to my attention. The imagery is sooooo spectacular for me that these items are not a distracting factor and go unnoticed.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

Jan-Arie wrote:
Up close and personal

J-A - Your Mach Loop/CAD West work is knocking my socks off. Hope to get there someday. Terrific images sir.

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

Agree with Jeff. If I was to go looking for something to clone out, it would be the tent and the building under the right wingtip. But that looks hard to do, and the eye is drawn almost totally to the spectacular left side of the image. The far right isn't distracting or bothersome to me.

Mark

Jan-Arie

Thank you Sir

1       2       3              3820      
       3822              4530       4531       end