Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3795

1       2       3              3795      
       3797              4251       4252       end

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

I think Fred Miranda should be congratulated on installing the "Like" button on this forum.
However given the qulaity of images being posted here may the "Like" button needs an upgrade multiple buttons,....
perhaps to,..Like,...Love......WOW !......Holy Cow !...

JA, Glen & Brian ,....WOW ,...keep all that coming...to Liz....what an entrance ...

See you guys in a few months.

Al

Razor17
Total Posts: 299

Glenn Watson wrote:
Had to travel north to Ennis/Waxahachie to find the water filled holes Lady Jo!

This one was even deep enough for a boat apparently!

Well done, it that Lake Bardwell by Ennis or Lake Waxahachie by me??

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7562

I'm a bit perturbed today, the substitute instructor today was telling me that in order to qualify as a panning shot, I had to shoot flying aircraft at 1/60th or slower or it's not panning. yes? no? I showed him these images and he said no the backgrounds are only blurry due to DOF..

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

laura,

Me thinks Substitute instructor mistakes Pan Blur for Bokeh...

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3210

ImperfectSense wrote:F7F Tigercat over the Southern Idaho Warbird Festival in Grangeville, ID.

I told you they'd like this one, Liz!

Welcome to our little corner of the web...

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3210

NightOwl Cat wrote:
I'm a bit perturbed today, the substitute instructor today was telling me that in order to qualify as a panning shot, I had to shoot flying aircraft at 1/60th or slower or it's not panning. yes? no? I showed him these images and he said no the backgrounds are only blurry due to DOF..

He's flat wrong, Laura, and you can quote me. Sheesh.

You can get panning blur at any reasonable shutter speed if the subject's moving fast enough across your field of view; and I see panning blur in every one of your shots.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2184

Laura, if it is DOF, why is all the ground plane out of focus?

In other news, a second day of heavy showers here in Central Texas. We sure welcome the rain.

Storm clouds gathering...

NightOwl Cat

Thanks Al, Steve, and Wrei, I plan on showing him this on Thursday, and then printing out the film shots I planned on doing. Today was pretty much an exercise in frustration in the darkroom.

ELinder
Total Posts: 404

Laura, tell the instructor to look at the blur. It's obviously greater horizontally than vertically, hence there was lateral movement..

Erich

NightOwl Cat

Thanks Erich, I did try, I pointed out the Oracle flag/banner and it still didn't cut it with him. (oo... need to clean that sensor again, thought I got it before the show!)

ELinder
Total Posts: 404

Sheesh, then make him explain to you why the base of the water tower looks so blurred while the top of the fence is a fairly solid line.

Erich

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2918

Hi Lynn:
I'm not positive but I think thats Lake Waxahachie.

Glenn

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Laura, that first shot contradicts his whole argument as the Oracle sign is close enough to the focal plane that it should be perfectly legible if going by his theory. The fence and ground as the others have said too, no idea where he gets DOF being what you see there. It is possible he is just trying to rattle you to come up with every single item in the shots to prove him otherwise as a way of tearing the shot down technically. Just a thought.

Glenn Watson

Hi Angry:
We plan to be at the Hampton on Friday night, and again at the Allen Marriott on Thursday night. Looking forward to hanging out dude!

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Colin Giersberg wrote:
astrobrian wrote:
Love the pastel nature of that last one Glenn.

This is my favorite of the set as well.

Hi Colin:

How are you man? Thanks (and others) - that was one of my favorites as well - had a real interesting feel to the sky and tried my best for a Beckman liquid metal feel!

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Hi Laura:

How long til the regular teacher comes back?

Glenn

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 15938

The phrase, "Those who can't teach......" while not always true, certainly comes to mind here Laura. He probably wants to beat you up a little because you can outshoot him. How about we all sign a letter of accreditation to proficiency you out of his course?

Shucks, I never took one of them photographic courses, think what I might have accomplished if I had..

I'm sure there are some good profs out there, but more often than not the stuff I've witnessed leads me to believe it's frustrated photographers lording it over "unworthy" subjects, in about the only scenario that they can exercise any authority or prowess.

Bottom line is, bite the bullet and give him what he wants, pass and go shoot circles around him, never look back.

Course this is advice from a guy who was told he had little to no chance of making a living in the competitive field of photography, so factor that in.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 15938

Beautiful skyscape Wrei. I'm just about to turn in for a 5 am wake up call and there's one of those thunderbumpers moving right over 610 as we speak. Like you said, welcome for sure. How unusual is all of this in mid July? A high of 74 when we rolled in late yesterday, um that's about 30 degrees below normal. "Climate change", I'll take it.

24 VP's tomorrow and I'm spending the rest of the week at HQ, Photoshopping, and dreaming a bit.

NightOwl Cat

Thanks Jim, Glenn, and Brian. I knew that checking with the best of the best would ease my mind. The regular instructor will return next week; he had a prior obligation before being asked to teach this class over summer. Now to get that portfolio printed the best way to an A Nowadays, it's less about what you know, and more about the certifications you have, testing is such a profitable arena (Microsoft MCSE/MCP tracks, for instance)

(the class is the prerequisite to taking any other photo related classes at school, and I just might get that photography certificate as a backup)

NightOwl Cat

Liz, love "Bad Kitty" and the nose art so reminds me of the cartoon kitty going Pfft pfft with that stance Welcome!

ImperfectSense wrote:
Historic Flight Foundation's F7F Tigercat over the Southern Idaho Warbird Festival in Grangeville, ID.

'Bad Kitty' by Liz Matzelle

1       2       3              3795      
       3797              4251       4252       end