Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3789

1       2       3              3789      
3790
       3791              4531       4532       end

msalvetti
Registered: Dec 20, 2003
Total Posts: 3167
Country: United States

Wow Steve, just spectacular. That stereo pair reveals so much! I didn't realize the depth of that photo until I resolved the stereo image. How far is that foreground knife-edge peak from the background peak?

Mark



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4082
Country: United States

msalvetti wrote:
Wow Steve, just spectacular. That stereo pair reveals so much! I didn't realize the depth of that photo until I resolved the stereo image. How far is that foreground knife-edge peak from the background peak?

Mark


Thanks, Mark. The notched ridge in the foreground is about 2-3 miles in front of that next peak.

Here's another one: Long's Peak from the back side, shot straight into the sun.



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4082
Country: United States

One more for today...



Go4Long
Registered: Sep 04, 2005
Total Posts: 2012
Country: Canada

stevez wrote:
One more for today...



Awesome Steve1...love em all, except for the stereo pairs which should be taken out and severely punished for not getting along with me.



Jeff W.
Registered: Feb 09, 2008
Total Posts: 2444
Country: United States

Gorgeous aerial landscapes Steve. Thank you for posting the large single images for the stereo-challenged like myself. BTW, I hope you weren't flying/photographing in your underwear on this particular sortie - looks awfully cold



Aero_70
Registered: Sep 24, 2011
Total Posts: 90
Country: United States

Dammit Steve..
Your stereo images are driving me crazy. I feel like I am on the cusp of "getting it". I just hope my wife doesnt walk in and ask me what I am doing with my face in my monitor! About the time I start to get the 3D image I blink and loose it. Great shots as usual.



Wrei
Registered: Aug 01, 2008
Total Posts: 2939
Country: United States

Aero_70 wrote:
Dammit Steve..
Your stereo images are driving me crazy. I feel like I am on the cusp of "getting it". I just hope my wife doesnt walk in and ask me what I am doing with my face in my monitor! About the time I start to get the 3D image I blink and loose it. Great shots as usual.


Paul, my mother told me my face would freeze if I made those faces...apparently, she was right!







JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19261
Country: United States

Beautiful aerials Steve! Did you use your photo windows, or pull the door?



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4082
Country: United States

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Beautiful aerials Steve! Did you use your photo windows, or pull the door?


It was 12° F. at altitude! I got the photo windows for just this kind of mission, and I used 'em. Didn't even need gloves.



Chris Luvara
Registered: Nov 17, 2006
Total Posts: 145
Country: United States

I was honored to fly in a missing man for another great aviator we lost earlier this month. Here's a short clip from that flight.




MustangsX2
Registered: Nov 23, 2007
Total Posts: 111
Country: United States

Chris Luvara wrote:
I was honored to fly in a missing man for another great aviator we lost earlier this month. Here's a short clip from that flight.




Nice flying Chris, wish I was there. Eddie was great guy.


stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4082
Country: United States

Chris Luvara wrote:
I was honored to fly in a missing man for another great aviator we lost earlier this month. Here's a short clip from that flight.




The missing man gets me every time; thanks for doing this, Chris.


stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4082
Country: United States

Here's my favorite Stereo-X pair from yesterday's flight over the Divide near Mount Evans. The 2-D image is not nearly as compelling, because you just can't read the depth properly, without binocular vision.

You can see more, including a couple of video clips, here.



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4775
Country: United States

Between a Rock and a Camera Place...



Jeff W.
Registered: Feb 09, 2008
Total Posts: 2444
Country: United States

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Between a Rock and a Camera Place...


Shooting helo to helo must not have been the most stable of platforms. As usual Jay, you nailed it. Excellent work!

To quote an old whaling captain; "He tasks me; he heaps me". Working on the image below has been challenging. I've been trying to find the proper balance between the last warm rays of light and the cool hues of evening.
I also wanted to maintain the illusion of the Gannet disappearing into the darkness of night - a dark/moody almost dream-like image. While I've reached a point where I'm sufficiently satisfied to share, I'm sure more work will be forthcoming.

C&C from this august group is most welcome and appreciated.



MMcGrath
Registered: Apr 15, 2006
Total Posts: 2649
Country: United Kingdom

I feel like I've walked briefly in Jim's shoes in the past 24 hours.

Call yesterday afternoon - fancy shooting a balloon launch at a sports stadium tomorrow morning. Details TBC.
After 8pm last night - launch sked for 05:30 local.
04:30 alarm. Out the door, get to launch site. Capture the launch.
07:25 into the office to do the day job.
17:00 home from the office.
19:30 start downloading the pics.
21:20 email sent to the balloon company with a link to around 30 pics of the morning launch.



nickjohnson
Registered: Sep 15, 2009
Total Posts: 986
Country: United Kingdom

….. and in other news:-

For Sale – A young gentlemen’s sporting carriage.

http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!hunter/ckzm



nickjohnson
Registered: Sep 15, 2009
Total Posts: 986
Country: United Kingdom

Jeff W. wrote:
FlyingPhotog wrote:
Between a Rock and a Camera Place...


Shooting helo to helo must not have been the most stable of platforms. As usual Jay, you nailed it. Excellent work!

To quote an old whaling captain; "He tasks me; he heaps me". Working on the image below has been challenging. I've been trying to find the proper balance between the last warm rays of light and the cool hues of evening.
I also wanted to maintain the illusion of the Gannet disappearing into the darkness of night - a dark/moody almost dream-like image. While I've reached a point where I'm sufficiently satisfied to share, I'm sure more work will be forthcoming.

C&C from this august group is most welcome and appreciated.


Jeff, FWIW I love it. But ….. hey you knew this was coming – right? ….. Keeping in mind that I know what this thing looks like – Might the sky to the left be a little dark in comparison with the warm highlight on the right side of the aircraft? Or ….. maybe the contrast between the two parts needs to be greater? Or maybe I should just enquire what non aviation folks think. Oh, you are going to print it and show it, aren’t you?



kwbarnes
Registered: Jun 26, 2005
Total Posts: 286
Country: United States

Chris Luvara wrote:
I was honored to fly in a missing man for another great aviator we lost earlier this month. Here's a short clip from that flight.




Chris,

I live under the pattern at Half Moon Bay. I heard you arrive at the airport, depart, and return from the missing man flight, and finally depart the area.

Usually I would at least go outside, to check out the aircraft, or drive to the airport. Yesterday, all I could do was shed a tear for Eddie, every time you guys flew past.

I feel sorry for the people here who didn't know Eddie, they don't have a clue what they've missed.

Ken


JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19261
Country: United States

Nicely done Chris.



1       2       3              3789      
3790
       3791              4531       4532       end