Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3788

1       2       3              3788      
       3790              4354       4355       end

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Love the light on that osprey, Steve. That is my favorite bird, and they have a look that could pierce you a thousand times. I find those yellow eyes even more piercing than those of a bald eagle.

I hope you weren't flopping around while taking the picture

Edit - ToPP - Mid-Atlantic Air Museum in 2010.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1909

stevez wrote:
Target Acquired

An osprey's piercing gaze. This photographer was trying very hard not to look like a fish...

On more than one occasion while I've been fly fishing, an Osprey has seriously out-fished yours truly. They are definitely exacting hunters/fishers.

This odd helo is currently resting on the ramp at KIWA. It is my understanding that this K-1200 is another aerial asset for our wildfires. It may be small, but I believe it is a serious power lifter.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7752

Steve, really like that osprey giving you the beady eye.

NightOwl Cat

Oh, and yes, my ISAP card arrived today, too cool! (on the other hand, my membership number changed, )

KZinnack
Total Posts: 147

Jeff W. wrote:
stevez wrote:
Target Acquired

An osprey's piercing gaze. This photographer was trying very hard not to look like a fish...

On more than one occasion while I've been fly fishing, an Osprey has seriously out-fished yours truly. They are definitely exacting hunters/fishers.

This odd helo is currently resting on the ramp at KIWA. It is my understanding that this K-1200 is another aerial asset for our wildfires. It may be small, but I believe it is a serious power lifter.

Jeff,

Great shot of a Kaman K-Max. Was built and advertised as an "Aerial Pickup Truck" with a single pilot and it's only mission was to haul stuff. They marketed it for aerial logging, firefighting, and cargo hauling. The unique main rotor gearbox design came from the Kaman HH-43. My father was one of the mechanics that prepped the new HH-43s and SH-2 Seasprites for their first flight at KBDL in the early 60s.

Jeff W.

Thanks for the info on the K-Max KZ. I went back to shoot him at lunch and they had left for another job.

A massive dust storm engulfed KIWA a little before 1:00 PM today causing three Hornets from VFA-97 to abort their takeoff and return to the ramp. As you can see, it got fairly intense and dark enough to turn on the taxiway/runway lights in the middle of the day.

HABOOB WARHAWKS

DanNehmer
Total Posts: 273

Jeff,

Love the colors and mood in that one!

Not much for aviation here in Iowa, but Mother Nature did serve up one very nice light show the other night. Took a few 10 second exposures to play and I like how they turned out. Hope you like it too.

Dan

Jeff W.

DanNehmer wrote:
Jeff,

Not much for aviation here in Iowa, but Mother Nature did serve up one very nice light show the other night. Took a few 10 second exposures to play and I like how they turned out. Hope you like it too.

Dan

Wonderful image Dan. I've been trying to get something like this in AZ. Unfortunately, most of our best thunderstorms are proceeded by dust storms - not conducive to photography most of the time. I'll keep trying and will keep your image in my mind as inspiration.

Here is one I took of the Hornets jockeying for position on the ramp. I'm not sure if these pilots ever flew missions from land bases in Afghanistan or Iraq, but they sure got a dose of similar conditions today.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1564

Jeff W. wrote:

HABOOB WARHAWKS

I clicked like, but that's not enough...I love this one Jeff.

JDE1
Total Posts: 23

Go4Long wrote:
Jeff W. wrote:

HABOOB WARHAWKS

I clicked like, but that's not enough...I love this one Jeff.

Agree. A nice, dreamy quality to this shot.

NightOwl Cat

I don't like it, I love it! Looks like it was a heck of a storm there!

DanNehmer wrote:
Jeff,

Dan

NightOwl Cat

Wonderful, Jeff. Curious though, do you keep your camera in some sort of protection from the blowing sands? I remember our trip across I-15 and CA 58 from Las Vegas to Edwards and watching the paint peel off our van as we drove, from the blowing sandstorm. Not a good way to be introduced to your new home.

Jeff W. wrote:
Thanks for the info on the K-Max KZ. I went back to shoot him at lunch and they had left for another job.

A massive dust storm engulfed KIWA a little before 1:00 PM today causing three Hornets from VFA-97 to abort their takeoff and return to the ramp. As you can see, it got fairly intense and dark enough to turn on the taxiway/runway lights in the middle of the day.

HABOOB WARHAWKS

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2286

The first from this year's Yeovilton (Photo Call Day aka White Ensign Day)
Slightly disappointing, photo wise. However the social side was great.

Met up with Nick (the butler) who tried his best to chide me when I should have been sitting down (resting after a hip replacement op) but I was insisting on standing most of the time...(Today, I wish I had sat down more!)
We missed having Rich with us this year - shame really, I had to send the butler... er ... I mean Nick for the ice creams in his stead. We met up with a couple of guys who I hope will join & become part of the European contingent of MATA. (Are you joining us Mike?)

Any way this is the first pull of my efforts at low shutter speed (low for me - remember. I am a doddering old fart.)

I got a full disc at least on the tail... Not much colour - shooting into the sun, hazy sky!

1/80 @f/32 Little ol' Canon 20D with 28~300

futurshox
Total Posts: 2423

Works for me, Donald!

Jeff, I love those Haboob shots, excellent colours on those.

Today I am chuffed to have a picture featured on NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day site! I've been going there daily for probably ten years and they always have something interesting to see.
Here's mine: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130713.html
Half the credit goes to Jim; if he hadn't pointed out that sunspot I might not have noticed it at all...

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2286

Thanks lady Jo. I agree that those Habbob images are stunning & outstanding.
Jo, its all your fault... After seeing your efforts with the GoPro, I got one. I haven't done much with it as yet (Did a timelapse from the hospital window )

At Yeovilton yesterday, I mounted it on the end of a lightweight monopod and tried some fun stuff... Yet to see the results...

Jeff W.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

@Laura - Normally, I run for cover when these monster dust storms approach. However, in this instance I could see the potential of the Hornets returning to the ramp as the haboob enveloped the entire airfield. Besides lucking -out by being in the right place at the right time, I did not point my lens into the wind and I shielded the camera with my body as much as possible. When I got home, I thoroughly cleaned the outside of the camera/lens before I took the lens off and put my gear away - hopefully avoiding getting any dust inside on the sensor. So far, it appears I've gotten away with it.

Edit: Here is what it looked like minutes before it hit Willie.

USM IS
Total Posts: 1249

DanNehmer wrote:
Jeff,

Dan

That rocks Dan, saw that big head clear down here, was thinking someone had the op for some fantastic shots!

Mike

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4550

Looking to stick the landing...
US Army Golden Knights

ELinder
Total Posts: 522

I didn't get a lot of keepers from the Dayton flight portion of the show. My 300/2.8 was making squealing noises while focusing, and I got lots of slightly soft images. It's at Nikon now for a warranty repair category B1 whatever that means.

Erich

msalvetti
Total Posts: 2879

futurshox wrote:
Today I am chuffed to have a picture featured on NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day site! I've been going there daily for probably ten years and they always have something interesting to see.
Here's mine: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130713.html
Half the credit goes to Jim; if he hadn't pointed out that sunspot I might not have noticed it at all...

Wow, that's great Jo! Congratulations!

Mark

1       2       3              3788      
       3790              4354       4355       end