Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3784

1       2       3              3784      
       3786              4533       4534       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19273

Sure Glenn, first you get a piece of plywood and some pvc....................

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

I'll take that as a no

Razor17
Total Posts: 465

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Somethings are just impossible to resist..........................

But it is for sale right now...

Razor17
Total Posts: 465

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Lot's of water in North Texas today! The lake we fly over during HQ Thursday went up six inches since this morning. It needs to go up 21 feet, but not today.

We had near 6" down here in Waxaville today. We'll take more anytime...

IndyFab
Total Posts: 2063

Well your tips paid off, Blue Angels training today for game day Sat & Sun..
1st time shooting planes.. It was impossible for me to keep up with paining on them, when they were real close and low with the pedal to the metal. I think with a little more practice, I could get them.. I definitely have respect for you veteran aviation shooters..
7D ~ 100-400

IMG_4430-2 by Sett N trenZ, on Flickr

IMG_4532 by Sett N trenZ, on Flickr

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

Glenn Watson wrote:
fwiw i finally got the 3d thing to work by holding my thumb about half way between my face the the screen, and trying to focus on the thumb. While doing so, the 3rd and center image appears and you just have to figure out how to transfer from staring at the thumb to the pic.

re: phanton at 30 knots, thats pretty good speed. Is it possible to rotate the camera while hauling ass in the manner you were leading a takeoff roll and "panned" with it as it passed you by?

Glenn

Not possible with the Phantom 2 Vision, but perhaps with the rig Jim has: I believe they added the yaw axis to the gimbal. With mine, you have to rotate the entire aircraft to yaw the camera.

JWilsonphoto

I have the yaw axis, but I think the landing gear would interfere with much rotation. The DJI rotates very quickly and smoothly, with a little practice I think one could nail that rotation.

betta21
Total Posts: 3

I don't know much about planes, and they are not my passion as they are yours, but this thread is fantastic, as are the planes and the photographers of them. I can see how they really get you going..,...

JWilsonphoto

Welcome Betta! Thanks for your appreciation of the work here!! They do kind of get into your blood.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Jim,

My uncle used to have a DB9, but traded it for a Bentley Continental GT9 convertible which has since been sold. His latest ride is a Porsche Panamera.

Are they the "stock" Aston dealer photos?

Mark

JWilsonphoto

HI Mark,

Yup, just screen captures from the website. I can see some possibilities when I have a little flexibility with one, can't you?

Cicopo
Total Posts: 2058

Here's a heads up re some great photo ops in the UK during late summer. Based on the news article it's pretty much a go for the lone airworthy Lanc in Canada to fly over to the UK & spend roughly 1 month touring the UK along with the only other airworthy Lanc.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/canada-s-lancaster-bomber-to-cross-atlantic-for-u-k-tour-1.2546757

This is rather special to me because the Canadian Lanc is one my father served on / serviced when it was stationed in Greenwood back in the 50's.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I have the yaw axis, but I think the landing gear would interfere with much rotation. The DJI rotates very quickly and smoothly, with a little practice I think one could nail that rotation.

It's how to manage a smooth yawing motion while tracking down the runway parallel to your subject aircraft that perplexes me: that would require some mad piloting skills...and you'd still have an ever-changing bank angle due to how the DJI manages translation motion off-axis to the camera's pitch gimbal.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I know that it's yesterday's technology, but I see one of these in the garage in the near future.........

The heart wants what the heart wants. It doesn't have to make sense...

stevezzzz

IndyFab wrote:
Well your tips paid off, Blue Angels training today for game day Sat & Sun..
1st time shooting planes.. It was impossible for me to keep up with paining on them, when they were real close and low with the pedal to the metal. I think with a little more practice, I could get them.. I definitely have respect for you veteran aviation shooters..
7D ~ 100-400

Yeah, IndyFab, this forum has a deep well of talent. Nice work; post some more when you get a chance. As for panning with the close-in fast movers: practice, practice, practice. And luck.

A suggestion: the drop shadow on your watermark is a bit too dense and makes it look all wonky: as if you had the jitters, when the image shows that you're steady as a rock.

stevezzzz

Here's a combination you don't see every day. The last time I saw this helo, two years ago, it was sporting a 15-foot magnetometer boom out the front.

JWilsonphoto

"Mad piloting skills", yes indeed!

Very few cars make sense, most are sold on emotion. Look at all the hybrids, etc. that they have a hard time selling, but they come out with Tim's nostalgia laden Camaro, and the Mustang, they can't keep them on the lot. The US has always had a love affair with their cars. In the case of your "S" the owner can have it all, style and technology, but I can't think of much else on wheels right now that fits that bill.

Every time I see a "Smart" car on the road in Dallas, I think just how not smart that is. They must just bury the driver in the chassis if there's an accident. I'd darn near rather be on my old Softail Springer if things are going south. I have a standing order for a New Landcruiser if anyone hears a rumor that they will cease production. I absolutely love that car for most everything I do during the day.

JWilsonphoto

Wow Zim! 1/40th, 1/15th, something tells me that there's a lot more at work here than "luck"!

stevezzzz

This guy flew the most impressive helo demo I've seen in a while. The Cabri G2 is incredibly popular in NZ for tourist flights and general utility use; helicopters on the South Island are as common as fleas: they use them for everything.

http://www.cabri.co.nz

JWilsonphoto

I'm not sure I can even wield my 800 anymore, it hasn't been out of the long lens case since AFW 2013. Come to think of it, I don't have that 800mm knot in my lower right back anymore either.

1       2       3              3784      
       3786              4533       4534       end