Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3783

1       2       3              3783      
       3785              4530       4531       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Turns out the next frame in that panning sequence is sharp, too, which makes this stereo pair a stunner.

stevezzzz

Jeff W. wrote:
stevez wrote:
Interesting, Jeff. Did you think to grab a photo? There's already a Tesla Supercharger in Yuma at the Hilton Garden Inn, south of the highway; I used it, twice, driving to and from El Centro in February. I wonder why Tesla thought another one so close by was needed, given that much of the country is not as yet served by even one Supercharger. My guess is that they've got a fleet deal with a buyer somewhere nearby; they did something similar in Las Vegas when the CEO of Zappos ordered 100 Model S cars.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

I did not get a photo Steve, but it is located on the back/east side of an existing Chevron Gas Station & Convenience Store at 3919 South Avenue 3 E. Here is a GoogleMap link:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/24+Hour+Chevron+Gas+Station+%26+Convenience+Store+Ave.+3E+@+MCAS+(Marine+Base)+Main+Gate,+Yuma,+AZ/@32.6565508,-114.5804889,100m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x55b56c69af07fdd6

I sent an email to the Tesla Supercharger team asking about the second Yuma Supercharger site. They wrote back and told me that they're not, in fact, working on a second Yuma site. So I wonder if what you saw is not a Tesla sponsored project. When will you next be in Yuma? Photos, or it didn't happen...

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3832

JWilsonphoto wrote:
WOW Glenn, I don't know at this point…um….faster than I can control it? They climb like the proverbial BOOH!

Was wondering about tracking a takeoff roll with one...might make a fun experiement!

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4092

MK IXc

JakeB17
Total Posts: 324

A few from Chino last weekend.

JakeB17
Total Posts: 324

And some F22 shots.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2775

stevez wrote:
Turns out the next frame in that panning sequence is sharp, too, which makes this stereo pair a stunner.

Holy. Cow. You're not wrong!

stevezzzz

futurshox wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
WOW Glenn, I don't know at this point…um….faster than I can control it? They climb like the proverbial BOOH!

Yeah; what Jim said!
They climb fast and fall slower.... They come down faster if you put some sideways motion in there. I find myself having to do a falling-leaf type manouver if I want it to come down quickly, and in the same general bit of sky.

From the Phantom 2 Vision manual's Specifications page: "Max Flight Speed - 15m/s (Not Recommended); Max Ascent/Descent Speed - Ascent: 6 m/s; Descent: 2 m/s"

For those of you who don't do conversions in your head, 1 m/s is 2 knots, so 15 m/s is 30 knots. I've flown mine at max forward speed and it seems fine, though the video isn't very smooth. Descent can be tricky: I had a badly bounced landing once (no harm/no foul) due to a rapid descent in no-wind conditions. The copter got caught descending in its own vortex ring and I couldn't arrest the rapid sink rate that developed. Since I was at full power when it bounced and the gear legs held up, it just climbed away from the bounce. Could have been a lot worse.

stevezzzz

futurshox wrote:
stevez wrote:

Holy. Cow. You're not wrong!

Thanks, Jo! Maybe your recommendation will be an incentive to others who haven't yet learned how to free view a stereo-X pair.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Steve / Jo,

I've struggled in the past with the stereo viewing, but think I may have it nailed for Steve's Spitfire image.

Should the effect that I am seeing still be both images side by side but a more 3-d depth feel to both images?

Either that or my head is still spinning from all the videos and tutorials I've been looking at on editing video in Photoshop CC the past few days.

futurshox

You should end up with three images side by side. You've got two to start, right? Cross your eyes so you have two pairs of images, one per eye. Then adjust until the nearest ones overlap to make the center image. This is what you should be looking at; ignore the outer ones. They're there, but not what you care about.
I find that my gaze falls _into_ the center image, and the 3D effect appears.

Some images are harder than others. This Spitfire one is great; the background is a faraway flat canvas and the aircraft really pops out in front of it, and the wing pokes you in the eye, it stands out so much.

You'll know it when you get it :-)

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Jo,

Thanks for the explanation of what I should be seeing. I find that the longer I stare at the image and the more I try to "see it", the more I feel my eyes straining.

futurshox

Take a break and try again later. You might need to vary your distance from the screen too. I find the best effect is produced when my head is proportionately distanced from the image; further away for larger ones. That's going to be a trial and error thing.

Here's another one to practise on.... The Elyminator, on takeoff from Llano.

stevezzzz

futurshox wrote:
Take a break and try again later. You might need to vary your distance from the screen too. I find the best effect is produced when my head is proportionately distanced from the image; further away for larger ones. That's going to be a trial and error thing.

Here's another one to practise on.... The Elyminator, on takeoff from Llano.

I think in this case you've chosen two frames that are too far apart for the stereo effect to be viewed comfortably, Jo. I can't hold the whole thing steady in my view: my eye convergence keeps shifting to bring first the wingtip into alignment, then the fuselage, and back again. When it's right, there should be no sense of strain, and no convergence oscillation.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19254

Lot's of water in North Texas today! The lake we fly over during HQ Thursday went up six inches since this morning. It needs to go up 21 feet, but not today.

futurshox

Steve, I suspect we might see them a little differently then. I get a bit of what you describe, but not enough to be uncomfortable. But those two frames are as close as I've got :-/

ELinder
Total Posts: 1070

Jo, I have to strain a bit too on your last one. I find it helps that once I start to see the center image, I put my hands palm flat on each side of my head and slowly bring them closer towed my nose. Eventually the outer images are covered, leaving the center one exposed and easier to focus on.

Erich

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19254

AWWWW dang Erich! Now my face is stuck that way!!

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3832

fwiw i finally got the 3d thing to work by holding my thumb about half way between my face the the screen, and trying to focus on the thumb. While doing so, the 3rd and center image appears and you just have to figure out how to transfer from staring at the thumb to the pic.

re: phanton at 30 knots, thats pretty good speed. Is it possible to rotate the camera while hauling ass in the manner you were leading a takeoff roll and "panned" with it as it passed you by?

Glenn

Itsed65
Total Posts: 162

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Welcome to MA2A, Itsed65. Neat shot of the Galaxy. Now that you have broken the ice and posted here, please hang around and post when you can. I am looking forward to seeing more from you.

Regards, Colin

Thanks Colin! I mainly shoot trains, but being a retired Loadmaster, I can never resist an airshow

Ed

Vaporizer by lennycarl08, on Flickr

1       2       3              3783      
       3785              4530       4531       end