Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3780

1       2       3              3780      
       3782              4356       4357       end

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Tim, I can only imagine how difficult it might be to get one that has that kind of acceleration curve. There is no constant speed from which to pan. Job well done sir!

Edit TOPP I see you too

Wrei
Total Posts: 2244

I celebrated the Birthday for the USA Sunday at the God and Country Concert in Belton, TX. Great music provided by a couple of church choirs and the 1st Cavalry Division Band. This year we were treated to the full band since they were all back from deployment. God Bless them.

And I love the 1st Calvary Color Guard...

Razor17
Total Posts: 339

mrkyle wrote:
Razor17 wrote:
Matt, those are really nice captures from Dayton, did you get any of the P-51 "The Brat III"? The driver likes seeing himself as much as the a/c... ;-0)

Lynn

Lynn,

Thank you so much. I'm guessing you did not see my earlier post concerning the deaths of Jane Wicker and her pilot Charlie Schwenker.

A very short version of the story - My wife and I met Jane, Charlie and the rest of her crew late Friday afternoon. I got to go for a flight in the Stearman with Janes fiance Rock Skowbow in the pilots seat.

On Saturday we witnessed the fatal crash at close range; it happened right in front of us. After meeting them and getting to know them a bit that tragic event hit us pretty hard. We both decided that the best thing to do was pack up and leave. We heard later on that they cancelled the rest of the Saturday show and we did not have the heart to return on Sunday.

So long story for a short answer - Nope no shots of the P-51

Matt

Matt, I understand, thank you...

Lynn

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4553

Figured I'd slip this in before Jeff comes along and blows it up...

We have four MAFFS-equipped C-130s in town to assist with the wildfire issues up north. Two are J models from the CA ANG and two are H models from a Colorado-based AFR unit.

This is one of the California birds...

JDE1
Total Posts: 23

Razor17 asked:
Matt, those are really nice captures from Dayton, did you get any of the P-51 "The Brat III"? The driver likes seeing himself as much as the a/c... ;-0)

Lynn

Not from Dayton, but from "The Brat III" visit to KPDK shortly before Dayton. The challenge was getting a shot when the airplane WASN'T being hand-polished or otherwise cleaned.

Jerry

Slug69
Total Posts: 1087

futurshox wrote:
Miserable or not, there's nice light on those turbines :-)

Yeah, but the shutter speed was set way to high. No prob blur...

ELinder
Total Posts: 528

Happy 4th!

Erich

ELinder
Total Posts: 528

There are times I get dizzy just watching.

Erich

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3638

Happy 4th Campers have a great day

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1909

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Figured I'd slip this in before Jeff comes along and blows it up...

We have four MAFFS-equipped C-130s in town to assist with the wildfire issues up north. Two are J models from the CA ANG and two are H models from a Colorado-based AFR unit.

Only one image from me Jay. The remainder with an upcoming article I'm writing on the MAFFS-equipped 130's and their use in wildfire suppression. It was a very hot time on the ramp for me. I have a better appreciation for the folks that work these areas every day - tough duty for sure.

HAPPY 4TH EVERYONE

smackem
Total Posts: 228

Happy 4th July from across the pond!

This is an F-86 Sabre I photographed on Sunday at The Shuttleworth Collection here in England.
Apparently the Sabre was the first operational Allied swept-wing jet aircraft and this one has the markings used by the USAF during the Korean War.

Tony

mrkyle
Total Posts: 594

smackem wrote:
Happy 4th July from across the pond!

This is an F-86 Sabre I photographed on Sunday at The Shuttleworth Collection here in England.
Apparently the Sabre was the first operational Allied swept-wing jet aircraft and this one has the markings used by the USAF during the Korean War.

Tony

Nice one Tony, love those Sabres

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Happy 4th everyone, stay safe out there

mrkyle
Total Posts: 594

astrobrian wrote:
Happy 4th everyone, stay safe out there

The angle of the rudder and the angle the shot was taken from makes for a neat optical illusion.
The visible part of the rudder makies it look impossibly small. I had to look several times to see why.

Ernie Aubert
Total Posts: 4505

All the taildragger models I've had and seen had tailwheel steering. This AT6 obviously doesn't; is that the norm for full-scale taildraggers?

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7752

I had the honor and privilege of meeting Harry Palmer (Kingfishphoto) this evening and taking him on a quick tour of base, then a quick tour around town in search of a restaurant that was open. My first choice of a restaurant was closed for the 4th, but the second one I was heading for, said on their web site that the 4th was a holiday they were open. Hmm.. someone forgot to tell the crew, they were closed up tight when we got there. So, we headed downtown and went to the oldest running tavern in Dayton.

You guys in AZ (Jeff, Jay) are lucky that he's heading your way, definitely make time to meet up with him.

PS, I have to admit, it was odd getting the salute from the SP at the gate, till I remembered Harry's rank

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16230

Ernie Aubert wrote:
All the taildragger models I've had and seen had tailwheel steering. This AT6 obviously doesn't; is that the norm for full-scale taildraggers?

Hi Ernie,

The Six has a locking tailwheel, not steerable per se. Actually it allows you to pivot in some pretty tight conditions that a steerable tailwheel won't. The pilot "steers" with differential braking. Pulling the stick back pat neutral locks the tailwheel in a straight configuration. When you want to unlock it, you add a little power and roll slightly to take the tension off the tailwheel, as you do that, you pop the stick forward of neutral and it unlocks, castoring free 360 degrees. Done properly you can spin that big bird on a dime and stop it just where you want it. You had better understand the system though, because you can also send yourself into the weeds in a hurry. 51's have the same system by and large, with a lot more mass swinging out in front and a lot more power. Handling all this becomes instinctive after a few hours, you don't even think about it. On take off the tailwheel is locked straight until you pop the stick forward to raise the tail. In landing you have a 360 castoring tailwheel until you bring the stick into your lap. Three points that happens right away, wheel landings, not til you've slowed enough that the tail is coming down and you firmly plant that little wheel on the ground. Until you lock it, it's all controlled by power and brakes, and stuff can happen faster than one can imagine.

JWilsonphoto

How nice Laura! And isn't that what we are all about?! Well done!

JWilsonphoto

Headed out at dawn to shoot Bryan tossing himself out of a perfectly good airplane. No, I don't feel the least bit tempted to join him.............

Razor17
Total Posts: 339

JDE1 wrote:
Razor17 asked:

Lynn

Not from Dayton, but from "The Brat III" visit to KPDK shortly before Dayton. The challenge was getting a shot when the airplane WASN'T being hand-polished or otherwise cleaned.

Jerry

Jerry, looks great, thank you. Chuck is big on keeping her clean and polished....

Lynn

1       2       3              3780      
       3782              4356       4357       end