Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3779

1       2       3              3779      
       3781              4532       4533       end

richhrly
Total Posts: 993

Bit delayed, but belated birthday wishes, Jim!

Here's a big old A400M.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19267

Dear Jeff,

I am honored by your analysis of my approach to my work, thank you, The balance of your thoughts are right on the money, the number of folks out there who think that they can avoid lighting by blending exposures, avoid great architectural glass and the investment in a full frame platform by buying a run of the mill super wide lens, are numerous indeed. Much to Sheila's chagrin I have always gone way out on a limb if it meant that I thought I could produce a finer product, in fact she'll be checking out the Elinchrom boxes that will be arriving this week, and the associated invoice. When I see a need, or a short fall in any area of my arsenal, I fix it in short order. That takes a lot less faith in the future than it did years ago when the amortization rate was much slower.

You are so right about the feds. Last week alone the international banking stranglehold this administration has imposed (as just one more way they can cripple small to medium sized businesses) cost us a 42 million dollar a month contract. The ability to move funds around the world, legitimate and well documented funds, has been virtually hobbled, and it's exponentially more difficult if you are a US citizen. Our government has imposed such draconian regulations on banks in and outside of the US, that our banks have very little interest in large deposits coming from out of the country, and the international banking community wants nothing at all to do with you if you are a US citizen. If a US citizen has 2,000 dollars in an off shore account, maintaining that account will cost them more than the account balance.......QUARTERLY...........to maintain the account due to the paperwork required. Once again the class envy that has been ginned up makes much of the citizenry apathetic about anyone with enough money to have off shore holdings, and once again those people are cutting off their nose to spite their face because that money moves around and buys things from a nice dinner to a mega-yacht, and benefits a lot of businesses.

I'll tell you something that makes my blood boil, tens of thousands of people who have voted in a ways that eventually, methodically destroyed their city/county/state, economically and otherwise, moving to states that have exercised responsible governance and have kept their head above water and are creating jobs. How many of those people are heads up enough to connect the dots and realize the chain of events that led to their migration? I'd be very surprised if 10% change their perspective, they just move, change nothing and slowly start down the same road from whence they came, just in a different locale. Plano just won the nod from Toyota North America, who has decided to move their entire operation to North Texas, from California. The reasons, chiefly, the continually unfriendly business climate in CA due to taxes, over reaching environmentalism, and the sheer weight of government regulation.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

We are here working on Farm House Phase II, the final phase. Two people I demanded the PM (Project Manager I hired) use are the framer and the spray foam insulator. I was talking to the framer last Friday and he told me he didn't know if he would be able to do the job in March, April or May due to a 12 week job that was to begin in March. He began 2 weeks ago and told me he was surprised we waited on him. I told him after the framing job he did on Phase I, I told the PM no other framer was going to do the job and we would wait. I didn't even ask for any other bids. The PM wanted me to use his insulator who also did spray foam. After I brought my guy in to get a bid and define the scope, the PM asked him for a card and if he was available for other work. Some people don't care about the work people do, they just simply want the job done and over with. When people, like the framer and spray foam guy came back to look at the house inside, the first words from both were "Wow!". They could not believe the final transformation. They are actually putting more effort into Phase II. But hey, I am in Central Texas, and there is an expected work ethic here. You won't get it done tomorrow, but it will be done right.

Keep in mind, they are working with a house over 100 years old...and it is not straight nor level, but they are making it look good.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

You asked me to comment on the Pipistrel when I had a chance. Here's what I know so far.

- It goes fast on very little fuel: I'm seeing 125kt-130kt TAS at 8500' MSL while burning 3.3 gph (the Remos would never go that fast even at full throttle, at sea level, burning 6+ gph). If I want to push 5gph through the Pipistrels' engine, speeds are right around 140kt TAS. The tanks hold 24.5 gallons usable fuel: you do the math. This thing has legs!

- Low cruise is 2.5gph at 105-108kt TAS. My bladder hurts just thinking about what that means. Nine hour legs, over 900 nautical miles, with reserves? Mind boggling.

- Constant speed props are a thing of joy. 4900rpm gives me a very comfortable cruise, smooth and (relatively) quiet. And I can always get full takeoff rpm, density altitude notwithstanding.

- Pipistrel's fit-and-finish is outstanding.

- The new Rotax 912 iS seems like a really nice upgrade: for the same 100hp output, the new injected engine has much lower specific fuel consumption than the venerable 912 ULS, runs much smoother, and you never have to balance a pair of cranky carburetors.

The cabin is nicely appointed but a little cramped in shoulder room compared to the Remos. My panel includes a 10" Dynon Skyview MFD and I designed things so I can slip my iPad into a holder on the passenger side, flush with the panel, next to the Dynon. I ordered mine with extra-large sliding photo windows in both doors, so I don't have to open the door to shoot. It's a good thing, because the door-opening and -closing process in flight is much less well thought out than in the Remos. If I really need to I guess I'll just leave a door behind on the ground rather than wrestle with opening it in flight.

Here are my notes on cruise speed and fuel flows from today's 2.5 hour test flight. I'm flying off the 10-hour Phase I restriction on the Experimental airworthiness certificate, so it seemed like a good time to learn a little about what it can really do. 'DA' stands for Density Altitude. Note that the cruise speed doesn't change much between 3.3 gph and 4.5 gph, it's within my 5-knot measurement uncertainty.

4900 rpm; 8500MSL; DA10400; OAT 58F; speed in knots
2.5 gph 105-108TAS 90-93 IAS
3.0 gph 118-123TAS 98-102 IAS
3.3 gph 125-130TAS 107-112 IAS
3.5 gph 125-130TAS 107-112 IAS
4.5 gph 125-130TAS 107-112 IAS

5300 rpm, full throttle
5.2 gph 138-141TAS 118-121 IAS

Here's a stereo pair from today's flight: Horsetooth Reservoir, Longs Peak (one of Colorado's Fourteeners) and a sky full of lenticulars. At my altitude it was mostly smooth with light winds, though I did have my teeth rattled a minute or two after this was taken.

JWilsonphoto

Nicely done Wrei!! Keep us apprised as the project progresses! BTW, from the technical quality of your image here, I retract my supposition that you "could" have taken those shots we discussed earlier, never would happen.

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Rich!

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Whoa, Jim! You are very nice to say that, thank you very much!

JWilsonphoto

Sounds like a great airplane Zim. How do you like the handling characteristics? Does it feel a lot more stable when compared to your plane?

Saw a new gunmetal grey Tesla S pulling out of our neighborhood the other morning, very slick!

Razor17
Total Posts: 465

Jim, I was reading today that KTKI took best in the national for FBO and towered airport based on the FtlPlan.com pilots choice via NBAA... Congrats to them

JWilsonphoto

Hi Lynn,

Yes, quite a turn around in the short time since they booted Cutter and took over the airport. As a 30 year resident of KTKI, I can say that the airport has never had a more friendly approach to aviation.

Wish I could say the same about the Collin County Appraisal District. Got their love letter on Saturday raising the taxable valuation on our hangars by 20K! Once again ridiculous taxing policies will continue to drive small and medium sized business into the ground.

JWilsonphoto

Here are two images for your critical eyes. The point of this is to demonstrate shooting a perspective correctly, but varying the lighting to create two slightly different looks. There are no big post techniques in play here, just a little variation in lighting.

JWilsonphoto

I think that I lean toward the second image, but I'll let my client choose their preference.

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

I like the second one as well. The lighting looks a little bit more subdued, and makes for a more pleasing appearance.

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Colin,

It has a slight HDR type character, ever so slight, but it is not HDR, it's so over used these days that it's a real turn off to me. There are a half dozen lights in the image. I moved them and changed modifiers for the second image, along with an exposure variation.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Sounds like a great airplane Zim. How do you like the handling characteristics? Does it feel a lot more stable when compared to your plane?

Saw a new gunmetal grey Tesla S pulling out of our neighborhood the other morning, very slick!

When are you getting yourself a Model S, Jim? Best car I've ever owned, by a country mile.

The Pipistrel handles somewhat differently than the Remos, with a far better roll rate, and it is somewhat sensitive in pitch. In compensation, the pitch trim is very effective and the two-axis autopilot seems much more stable than the Remos. The stall behavior is a bit more abrupt than the Remos, which just tends to wallow at high angles of attack; OTOH, the Pipistrel is very glider-like near the stall, in that it's easy to control right up to the break, and the 'back side of the power curve' isn't nearly as deep a hole. It's got a slicker airframe and a laminar flow airfoil; the full-span flaperons can be set from -5 for high-speed cruising flight to +19 for landing; top surface dive brakes provide excellent glide path control. The only things I don't like: the rudders are somewhat stiff, and there's not much visibility over the nose in the flare, or even in low cruise.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

Hopefully you're bringing that badboy to Alliance Thursday Stevez? Looking forward to seeing it on the wing!

Glenn Watson

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Thats a big prop right outside the door!

Glenn

JWilsonphoto

Well done Glenn! Could you feel the Corsair pulsing in your chest? I remember shooting Lad Doctor in the F4U he had the accident in, and I could literally feel the thunder of those cylinders in my chest as he drew near.

1       2       3              3779      
       3781              4532       4533       end