Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3777

1       2       3              3777      
       3779              4395       4396       end

mikegeng
Total Posts: 334

It takes work, or serious lack thereof, to not make a Bonanza look glorious in a picture. Jim, I know your decision is made, but when I had to choose between a new 182 or a gently used A36, I went with the Beech. I needed a true 4 seater with light luggage, so it fit my mission profile better. Can't go wrong with either one.

Razor17
Total Posts: 351

astrobrian wrote:
That would go well on "There I Fixed It"

More like, here hold my beer while I fix that...

Razor17
Total Posts: 351

Matt, those are really nice captures from Dayton, did you get any of the P-51 "The Brat III"? The driver likes seeing himself as much as the a/c... ;-0)

Lynn

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16413

Words don't fail me, but I haven't used any that come to mind since high school..........

JWilsonphoto

Uh Jay, you just happen to be an expert in my book.

JWilsonphoto

Yes, the A36/G36 is a wonderful aircraft, and I've learned to never say never, but the Skylane we picked out today is pretty cool and fits our mission. G1000, simulated visual terrain, weather overlay with all area traffic alert, and a/c. I was headed to East Texas tomorrow to meet with the paint/interior folks to hammer out some questions/details, but I just received an urgent email that a new BBJ needs to be photographed so my plans have changed. JR just texted me to tell me he had reserved about 20 N numbers ending in 7JW, what a a character.

We looked at everything from the last Skylane to a Corvalis, to a Caravan today, it was fun. Caravan with the Oasis interior would be pretty cool, especially on amphibs! But 175kts for a couple million bucks isn't math I can do.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4602

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Uh Jay, you just happen to be an expert in my book.

FlyingPhotog

How about a little "over the shoulder" DC-3 conversion to B&W?

FlyingPhotog

Such hard act to shoot...because all you want to do is watch!

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1781

I went to the UK tankfest at the weekend. No aircraft but a great time - did get to see one chopper though:
Niall

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2286

stevez wrote:
JimClark wrote:
mot sure where to put this question. I would like to improve on sharpness of my plane images especially the old warbirds. Working on slower shutter speeds but still am not getting them as sharp as i would like. I use a 7d and a monopod and a canon 100-400 got tips on getting good prop blur and sharp images? Been using 125th which seems to be a good amount of prop blur. I know some use even slower speeds

@JimClark: Most of the top aviation shooters I know don't use camera support when panning, preferring the freedom to maneuver of going hand-held. The path of an airplane through the sky during a banana pass may be simple enough, but the trajectory from the shooter's point of view is anything but.

1/125 is a good shutter speed for the flat engines, but the round engines will repay your working down toward 1/60th, and a T-6, with only two blades, won't give you a full disc until you go even slower. Helos really need 1/25 or even 1/15 for serious rotor blur, but 1/80 will at least show that you're trying. Practice acquiring your panning target off to the side with the tips of your shoes parallel to the runway, so you're square when the subject is directly in front of you and don't have to shift your feet right when they're closest to you.

But mostly it's just practice. Some folks go out and shoot cars on the street just to keep their panning chops in shape.

... and this is yet another amazing sample of top notch help and advice that I learn from.
... and it is why I love this place...

Thanks Steve

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7901

Quick edits this morning while I'm remembering how he blasted across the runway so low. I think he gave more than a few of us heart failure...

mrkyle
Total Posts: 594

Razor17 wrote:
Matt, those are really nice captures from Dayton, did you get any of the P-51 "The Brat III"? The driver likes seeing himself as much as the a/c... ;-0)

Lynn

Lynn,

Thank you so much. I'm guessing you did not see my earlier post concerning the deaths of Jane Wicker and her pilot Charlie Schwenker.

A very short version of the story - My wife and I met Jane, Charlie and the rest of her crew late Friday afternoon. I got to go for a flight in the Stearman with Janes fiance Rock Skowbow in the pilots seat.

On Saturday we witnessed the fatal crash at close range; it happened right in front of us. After meeting them and getting to know them a bit that tragic event hit us pretty hard. We both decided that the best thing to do was pack up and leave. We heard later on that they cancelled the rest of the Saturday show and we did not have the heart to return on Sunday.

So long story for a short answer - Nope no shots of the P-51

Matt

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Puff the magic Dog

JWilsonphoto

Ahhhh Brian, Great shot! I can hear it, feel it and smell the sweet aroma of Aeroshell 120/LL

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Brian,
great timing on that shot. I have to say I get a chuckle when I see the size of the B-25 and its engines compared to that little fire extinguisher

Gero

Squirrely Eyed
Total Posts: 366

Brian,

Nice shot of a great aircraft. I wish I had my gear with me last year to catch the Easter egg drop.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
Brian,

Nice shot of a great aircraft. I wish I had my gear with me last year to catch the Easter egg drop.

Yeah, a shame they didn't do it this year too. A victim of it's own success I guess.

KZinnack
Total Posts: 147

Razor17 wrote:
astrobrian wrote:
That would go well on "There I Fixed It"

More like, here hold my beer while I fix that...

Oh boy, I'm pretty sure he was holding the beer while he fixed it.....maybe two of them.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2674

A little old school drag racing from Joliet, although in 1969 A/Stock cars were not running in the low 10's.

1       2       3              3777      
       3779              4395       4396       end