Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3764

1       2       3              3764      
       3766              4137       4138       end

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7196

Dear FAA/NTSB, why oh why, in the news stories can you not get a point of contact in for where you would like people to turn in photos and videos into all these news stories? At the airshow, you mentioned people should go to the information booth. Well, the information booth was not manned, so I wound up handing the discs to a police officer who was packing up to leave.

Edit for TOPP

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3367

Great shot Laura and not to bad considering you were in a Huey weren't you?

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7196

Thanks Ripper, yes, I was in the Huey. Only thing I did was to correct the pitch of the water tower

futurshox
Total Posts: 2293

ELinder wrote:
During the first quick glance thru my Dayton images this one jumped out at me. First time I've been able to capture the roll effect this well. Woohoo!

Erich

Woohoo indeed, that's definitely one of the best examples I have seen of that!

I will look forward to lunch at HQ, thank you Jim :-) Certainly intrigued to see one of these mysterious cards, too.

JDE1
Total Posts: 23

Hello everybody. I have been lurking here for months and have found the forum very inspiring. I'm almost ready to post something, but not today. First I have to get over two recent gut punches.

First, of course, Dayton. I had my photo pass and would have been there if "FIFI" had not come to KPDK. At PDK I had better access with fewer people, so I traded Dayton for shooting at PDK and a ride in the Flight Observer seat. The gut punch, of course, was news of the crash. Others have said all that can be said and better than I could have. I can only add an Amen.

The second gut punch were reports that the world-class aircraft collection at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach might be up for sale. I attended their recent "Warbirds Over the Beach" show (my first visit to MAM), and I was blown away by this unbelievable facility and I was looking forward to attending their (now cancelled) WWI show in October. I had hoped the reports were untrue, but an article yesterday in The Virginia-Pilot newspaper (http://hamptonroads.com/2013/06/va-beach-museum-owner-selling-plane-collection) seems to remove all doubt.

I'm still determined to offer up an image (taken at MAM) for comments here, but it'll take a few more days.

Certainly not what I had planned for my debut on the forum, but, as the poster said, we'll all "Keep Calm and Carry On."

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 3813

Jan-Arie wrote:

Chevy Corvette C6 ZR1

Wayyyyyyyy Kooooooooool !

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3367

Thanks Bill

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1735

Hard Leading Edge...

astrobrian
Total Posts: 814

Fingers crossed, I might have a day job of sorts in a photo taking field It won't be the desired money being converted to noise, but can't be too picky can I if it pays.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 814

Jeff, that is a gorgeous Viper.

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1516

Anyone going to either Flying Legends (I'll be there alone, probably on the "tank bank") or RIAT (I'll be in the Pimms Tent on Saturday with two sons-in-law and a brother-in-law)? Also, though not aircraft, I'll be at TankFest at Bovington this coming Saturday. Anyone going we could PM mobile numbers.
Niall

ELinder
Total Posts: 372

Thanks Jim, Laura, Brian, and Jo. That shot of Mike Goulian is probably my best of the whole weekend., which is OK by me.

NightOwl Cat's Huey flight from the outside.

Erich

ELinder
Total Posts: 372

End of the flight

Erich

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4220

Collings Foundation "Witchcraft" runs 'em up prior to an evening revenue flight at Marana, AZ

FlyingPhotog

Oops

futurshox
Total Posts: 2293

It was worth seeing twice :-)

Jeff W.

astrobrian wrote:
Jeff, that is a gorgeous Viper.

Thanks Brian, always fun being close to the F-16's at Luke.

Regarding your new career opportunity - "May the road rise up to meet you; may the wind always be at your back…"

FlyingPhotog

...and back again.

Jeff W.

Jay - I always enjoy your images of Audre and these two are dynamite.

To all MA2A members; Jay, Paul, Rob & I will be hosting the first of several contests this summer involving frying eggs on the sidewalk.

The greater Phoenix forecast for this coming Saturday is 115* to 118*. With any luck, we could hit 120*

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 2840

nrferguson wrote:
Just back from a trip to the battlefields around Verdun, France. Not much aircraft-wise, but we visited the grave of Hamilton Coolidge, first world war fighter pilot and a friend of Eddie Rickenbacker
Hamilton Coolidge (September 1, 1895 – October 27, 1918), was an American pursuit pilot, flying ace in World War I, and recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross.

Coolidge was the great-great-great grandson of U.S. President Thomas Jefferson and the best friend of Quentin Roosevelt, the youngest son of President Theodore Roosevelt. Ham Coolidge and Quentin Roosevelt attended the Groton School together, attended Harvard together, and served together in the U.S. Army Air Service First Pursuit Group in France. They were killed in action within a few months of each other in 1918.

Coolidge dropped out of Harvard College during his senior year to join the U.S. Army Air Service. He was one of ten Harvard undergraduates accepted from a field of forty applicants for training at the Curtiss Flying School in Buffalo, New York in July 1916.

A private with the Aviation Section, U.S. Signal Corps, stationed in Miami, Florida when the United States entered the war, Coolidge was sent the School of Military Aeronautics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on June 5, 1917. He embarked for France on July 23, 1917 and was commissioned first lieutenant on September 29, 1917. After serving as a test pilot at Issoudun, he was assigned to the 94th Aero Squadron, commanded by Eddie Rickenbacker, on June 16, 1918. He was promoted to captain on October 3, 1918.

On October 27, 1918, he was killed in action, his SPAD S.XIII taking a direct hit from a German anti-aircraft shell near Grandpré, Ardennes. He had eight confirmed "kills" when he was shot down. Like Quentin Roosevelt, he was posthumously awarded an A.B. {War Degree}, Harvard Class of 1919.

Last year they discovered, buried in the ground next to his grave (he was buried where he fell) the engine of his Spad XIII - you can see what I think is the attachment point for one of the exhaust manifolds in the photo.
Niall

Very interesting post, thanks for sharing!

Here is a pic taken in the Memorial of Verdun : not a Spad but a "Bébé" Nieuport.

1       2       3              3764      
       3766              4137       4138       end