Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3759

1       2       3              3759      
3760
       3761              4533       4534       end

Jeff W.
Registered: Feb 09, 2008
Total Posts: 2444
Country: United States

stevez wrote:

The weather yesterday was overcast, cold and windy. The weather today was variable: the sun peeked through from time to time and the mountain backdrop was gorgeous, but the airplanes are mostly up above the mountains and backlighted against the blinding white softbox in the sky. I'm still downloading today's CF cards or I'd post something.


If anyone can pull this off in challenging weather, it is you Steve. Looking forward to your images.

A MV-22 Osprey from VMM-161, "Greyhawks", on final approach into Luke Air Force Base.



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4084
Country: United States

That's my new favorite Osprey shot, Jeff: beautiful!!



Jan-Arie
Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Total Posts: 4097
Country: Netherlands

F22



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19275
Country: United States

Just when I think government has reached the pinnacle of ridiculousness, I am humbled by my lack of faith in their collective stupidity....................

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/17/304128931/one-mans-pee-pushes-portland-to-flush-38m-gallons-of-water



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19275
Country: United States

Chandler and I set a new record yesterday afternoon, we flew our Cubs together. I flew five flights yesterday without so much as a bug strike. Might be close to time to warm up the T-28. A trip to Mike's Hobby Shop yesterday secured a number of items for an upcoming event in early May.



dtw757
Registered: Jan 05, 2009
Total Posts: 129
Country: United States

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Just when I think government has reached the pinnacle of ridiculousness, I am humbled by my lack of faith in their collective stupidity....................

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/17/304128931/one-mans-pee-pushes-portland-to-flush-38m-gallons-of-water



Living across the Columbia (in Vancouver, WA) from this is why I don't live in Portland where I spent my late youth. The stupidity of this whole debacle is that the water has already been treated and is held in storage ready to be delivered to the taps of Oregonians city wide. There is NO cover to this water, and as a result it is open to acid rain, whatever is carried on the wind from "anywhere", ducks, geese, seagulls etc etc. The bozo who made the decision to empty it was only concerned about a beer bottles amount of urine mixed in with 38 million gallons, but has no issue with the daily attack of bird feces. The cost of the flush and cleaning of the reservoir would pay for a cover to prevent this kind of thing but he believes it is too expensive every time the subject comes up. And the City of Portland doesn't understand why it's always out of money. Glad I am not the only one who is amazed.....



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19275
Country: United States

Exxxxxaaaaactly! The other thing that doesn't seem to concern anyone is the fact that the guy whizzing in the 38 million gallons obviously could have walked up and introduced something that was considerably more lethal than recycled Coors.

I am getting to the point where I don't really care what side of the coin one is on, we need a few people in leadership who do what is right, without an agenda driving them. Has that ever been the case in the political arena? The yo yo's have spent 4 million dollars trying to collect 1 from that Bundy guy in Utah......what? We don't send snipers to defend our borders, but we send them to Utah over cattle grazing? Now I don't know whether the guy owes a million for grazing rights or not, but it seems like we should have learned a little something from Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Gotta go, Halle just told me she twinkled in the pool, better drain it.................



Jeff W.
Registered: Feb 09, 2008
Total Posts: 2444
Country: United States

stevez wrote:
That's my new favorite Osprey shot, Jeff: beautiful!!


Means a lot to me Steve - thank you.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19275
Country: United States

It is a beauty Jeff, it has that "Welkerized" feel to it. How are you coming on your Hasselblad retro journey?



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4084
Country: United States

Still downloading Saturday's take (it's late Saturday evening on this side of the date line), but I am here to report that patience and persistence got me a spot at pylon #2 for today's jet races, Reno style. Fly low, go fast, turn left. Three L-29s, an L-39 and two Vampires. And with Wanaka's mountain backdrop, too. Can't wait to see the day's haul, but that is some hours away at this rate.

By the way, the airshow announcers here are just fantastic: two guys who know everything about the airplanes and hold an open mike conversation about the displays, the people and the aircraft.



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4084
Country: United States

This one caught my eye as I was downloading. The RNZAF/Navy Kaman Sea Sprite at 1/25 sec.



Jan-Arie
Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Total Posts: 4097
Country: Netherlands

Great Steve did you get the C130 with the flares?



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4084
Country: United States

Jan-Arie wrote:
Great Steve did you get the C130 with the flares?


Yes, J-A, but the cloudy sky was brighter than the flare trails, so I don't think the results will be very good.



Jeff W.
Registered: Feb 09, 2008
Total Posts: 2444
Country: United States

JWilsonphoto wrote:
It is a beauty Jeff, it has that "Welkerized" feel to it. How are you coming on your Hasselblad retro journey?


Thanks Jim for the kind words. To date, I've not had as much time to bond with the Hasselblad as I'd like. The few opportunities did not facilitate extra time for me to play with film. Hopefully that will change in the next few weeks and I can post some results. I'm still excited and looking forward to becoming more proficient



Jeff W.
Registered: Feb 09, 2008
Total Posts: 2444
Country: United States

stevez wrote:
This one caught my eye as I was downloading. The RNZAF/Navy Kaman Sea Sprite at 1/25 sec.


Simply WOW Steve. Can't wait to see this after you get a chance to process. Looking forward to the other images.



Tim Adams
Registered: Jan 01, 2004
Total Posts: 2887
Country: United States

stevez wrote:
Still downloading Saturday's take (it's late Saturday evening on this side of the date line), but I am here to report that patience and persistence got me a spot at pylon #2 for today's jet races, Reno style. Fly low, go fast, turn left. Three L-29s, an L-39 and two Vampires. And with Wanaka's mountain backdrop, too. Can't wait to see the day's haul, but that is some hours away at this rate.

By the way, the airshow announcers here are just fantastic: two guys who know everything about the airplanes and hold an open mike conversation about the displays, the people and the aircraft.


One of my CA based Reno pylon photog friends is also at the show.



briancphoto
Registered: Jan 07, 2011
Total Posts: 320
Country: United States

I tried asking this on the Landscape section and someone suggested I try here. I am looking for advice on shooting out of a smaller cessna plane. I am trying to get shots of the valley I live in with Mt Hood in the background. I have a D800e with a 70-300 g, Tamron macro 100 , Nikon 85 1.8, Nikon 50 1.8, Nikon 18-35 g, and a Samyung 14mm.

I was thinking of taking off right at sunrise or so and staying in the air for up to an hour and was looking for suggestions on which lenses to bring or not, Minimum shutter speeds, if you would leave earlier or latter etc. Or if anyone has any good links to article which cover this. Thanks in advance for any help. Brian



kwbarnes
Registered: Jun 26, 2005
Total Posts: 286
Country: United States

About that 38 million gallons of "contaminated" water.

A sensible solution would be to add 15 million gallons of quality Scotch, stir well, and serve over ice.



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4084
Country: United States

Welcome, Brian. You've come to the right place for air-to-ground advice. Here are some simple rules for you...

- shoot at the highest shutter speed conditions allow. The smoother the air and the better your technique, the slower you can go, but there's little need for small apertures since most aerial subjects are effectively at infinity. For wide angle shots try and stay faster than 1/250 and with the longer lenses strive for 1/800 or better. That said, if you have to shoot slower take lots of frames and be prepared to throw most of them away.
- try and arrange for an open window or door to shoot through: plexiglas is a lousy optical medium. Most Cessna side windows will open all the way in flight if you remove one screw from the closer mechanism.
- leave your lens hoods on the ground and keep the lens barrel out of the airstream to reduce shake.
- the only part of you that touches the airframe should be your backside. Don't brace against anything, and don't let the camera touch anything: airframe vibrations will ruin your shots.
- don't change lenses in the air to avoid sensor contamination in the swirling cabin air: if you want to use two lenses, bring two bodies and leave the lenses on the whole time.
- I use the 70-200 for most overhead shots and the 24-70 for most landscapes. A wider lens isn't very useful because you'll end up with bits of the airplane in your frame.
- secure everything, including yourself! You don't want to lose anything out the door/window. Hats, eyeglasses, etc. tend to get sucked out the opening. I've seen news photos of a very expensive (and very dead) Canon lens that fell from an airplane: you don't want to be that guy. Don't stick anything out in the airstream.

Most great aerial photography is done in the hour or so around sunrise or sunset. The air is smoother in the morning, usually, but launching before dawn to be in position when the light is good can be unappealing. If you're shooting a mountain peak and also want light in the valley, expect some compromises on the light: the peak will be in full sun long before you can make out detail in the valley.

Now that you've found us, stick around! And by all means post your results from the shoot.



nrferguson
Registered: Apr 20, 2004
Total Posts: 2456
Country: United Kingdom

briancphoto wrote:
I tried asking this on the Landscape section and someone suggested I try here. I am looking for advice on shooting out of a smaller cessna plane. I am trying to get shots of the valley I live in with Mt Hood in the background. I have a D800e with a 70-300 g, Tamron macro 100 , Nikon 85 1.8, Nikon 50 1.8, Nikon 18-35 g, and a Samyung 14mm.

I was thinking of taking off right at sunrise or so and staying in the air for up to an hour and was looking for suggestions on which lenses to bring or not, Minimum shutter speeds, if you would leave earlier or latter etc. Or if anyone has any good links to article which cover this. Thanks in advance for any help. Brian

That was me
Niall



1       2       3              3759      
3760
       3761              4533       4534       end