Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3748

1       2       3              3748      
       3750              4273       4274       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16036

Beautiful Sir Donald! Makes me want to suck up the gear and head east!

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1624

stevez wrote:
Beautiful shots of your green and pleasant land, Donald. The last one is a peach, though I'd be tempted to remove one or two distracting elements (yes, in Photoshop; though you might get by with LR5's new adjustment brush in Healing mode).

Odcombe methinks?
Very picturesque
Niall

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2583

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Mono?

Or, Color?

Both look great, but please could you try not to make them so sharp. I can't compete.

JWilsonphoto

Took the 4x4 down to 1/8th on this one.......................

futurshox
Total Posts: 2371

Wow, you wouldn't have thought that shot was even possible.

Here's some from Burnet Airshow, better late than never... I concentrated a bit more on people this time.

What was that dangling from the bomb bay, anyway?

A helicopter full of sheriffs

I want to park this next to my Jeep

Lots more over here.

tom cardin
Total Posts: 1991

Donald, that last image, is spectacular. I love the thatch roofs. How long are they good for?

Tom

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4394

Sorry Tim... (Kinda)

Jim: Kenyon Promo Worthy!

Jo: Nice Series!

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2285

Thanks for the comments all.
@ Steve - would appreciate your C&C re the elements you find distracting & need removal.

@ Niall, The second pub, 'The Mason's Arms' is in 'Lower' Odcombe. The church is in Norton-sub-Hamden. I had just bought a 70-200L and on my way home over Ham Hill. It had gone dusk. I always stop at the top of Ham Hill and take in the wonderful view. The mist was just rising out of the ground around the church. From memory, it was a 30 second exposure - the first image from the 70-200!

@ Tom a good thatch should hold tight and be waterproof for 20 ~ 25 years. There are various reeds used for thatching. A Norfolk Reed is supposed to be the best. The thatcher will cover his new thatch with wire netting to stop birds pulling reeds out for nesting materials! Various thatchers have their own trade mark. The make a straw sculpture of some sort. If you have a look on the roof of the Royal Oak pub, you can see the thatcher made several straw ducks thereupon.

Thatches are very warm in the winter and cool in the summer. They are beautiful but there is a downside. They are a fire risk. Imagine a spark or two from a well stoked fire. A new thatch can cost 20,000 or more (approx. $US32,000)

The other downside is that most thatch cottages are 'listed' buildings. That means that the owners will be under severe restrictions on what they can do with the building (re-modelling etc - must use same types of windows, not allowed to knock walls down or add extensions etc) and that means the must replace a thatched roof with a thatch... Here endeth the lesson!

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2285

JWilsonphoto wrote:

Any time, young James, any time

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 741

Nice to see you posting again Donald. Have to agree that the last image in your post is magical well done young Sir.

BTW The area around Donald's home really is that picturesque, and the folks in those parts are very nice to know. I've been the grateful recipient of much hospitality.

Donald and I will be flying a low level, two ship formation for White Ensign Day @Yeovilton on the 12th of July. All are welcome to join us please let me know If your coming so that I can arrange the right number of shooting towels, button badges, and ice-creams.

Until White Ensign Day this is as close to aviation as I get . oh well.

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 741

Donald Gray wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:

Any time, young James, any time

+1

JWilsonphoto

Thank you Donald!

Lady Jo, I've always been fairly pleased with my ability to capture challenging images from the air, but this stabilizer has taken both my abilities and my expectations to a whole new level. Granted, at 1/8th all the stars have to align and the air needs to be like velvet, but even with all those factors on one's side, that shot was made out of "unobtanium" as Glenn Smith would say, prior to the 4x4 and the D800/1DX.

JWilsonphoto

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3519

100 Years of Dutch Military Aviation Volkel Airbase Netherlands

MarcelK
Total Posts: 24

Nice aerials Jim!

Had a nice day with Jan-Arie and Roel @Volkel today

Marcel.

Jan-Arie

And a foggy one

Jan-Arie

New Type of B25

USM IS
Total Posts: 1232

Very nice capture of Ox Bend Dan! I think your class paid off a little, keep using it....

Mike

Jan-Arie

Spitfire Mk IX Dutch Airforce Historic Flight.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3268

Donald Gray wrote:
Thanks for the comments all.
@ Steve - would appreciate your C&C re the elements you find distracting & need removal.

@ Niall, The second pub, 'The Mason's Arms' is in 'Lower' Odcombe. The church is in Norton-sub-Hamden. I had just bought a 70-200L and on my way home over Ham Hill. It had gone dusk. I always stop at the top of Ham Hill and take in the wonderful view. The mist was just rising out of the ground around the church. From memory, it was a 30 second exposure - the first image from the 70-200!

@ Tom a good thatch should hold tight and be waterproof for 20 ~ 25 years. There are various reeds used for thatching. A Norfolk Reed is supposed to be the best. The thatcher will cover his new thatch with wire netting to stop birds pulling reeds out for nesting materials! Various thatchers have their own trade mark. The make a straw sculpture of some sort. If you have a look on the roof of the Royal Oak pub, you can see the thatcher made several straw ducks thereupon.

Thatches are very warm in the winter and cool in the summer. They are beautiful but there is a downside. They are a fire risk. Imagine a spark or two from a well stoked fire. A new thatch can cost 20,000 or more (approx. $US32,000)

The other downside is that most thatch cottages are 'listed' buildings. That means that the owners will be under severe restrictions on what they can do with the building (re-modelling etc - must use same types of windows, not allowed to knock walls down or add extensions etc) and that means the must replace a thatched roof with a thatch... Here endeth the lesson!

There are a couple of modern metal storage buildings I'd like to see gone, and perhaps one or two of the more obnoxious street lights.

1       2       3              3748      
       3750              4273       4274       end