Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3748

1       2       3              3748      
3749
       3750              4273       4274       end

JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16036
Country: United States

Beautiful Sir Donald! Makes me want to suck up the gear and head east!



nrferguson
Registered: Apr 20, 2004
Total Posts: 1624
Country: United Kingdom

stevez wrote:
Beautiful shots of your green and pleasant land, Donald. The last one is a peach, though I'd be tempted to remove one or two distracting elements (yes, in Photoshop; though you might get by with LR5's new adjustment brush in Healing mode).

Odcombe methinks?
Very picturesque
Niall



Tim Adams
Registered: Jan 01, 2004
Total Posts: 2583
Country: United States

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Mono?


Or, Color?


Both look great, but please could you try not to make them so sharp. I can't compete.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16036
Country: United States

Took the 4x4 down to 1/8th on this one.......................



futurshox
Registered: Feb 15, 2008
Total Posts: 2371
Country: United States

Wow, you wouldn't have thought that shot was even possible.

Here's some from Burnet Airshow, better late than never... I concentrated a bit more on people this time.



What was that dangling from the bomb bay, anyway?


A helicopter full of sheriffs


I want to park this next to my Jeep


















Lots more over here.



tom cardin
Registered: Mar 08, 2005
Total Posts: 1991
Country: United States

Donald, that last image, is spectacular. I love the thatch roofs. How long are they good for?


Tom



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4394
Country: United States

Sorry Tim... (Kinda)

Jim: Kenyon Promo Worthy!

Jo: Nice Series!



Donald Gray
Registered: Nov 12, 2005
Total Posts: 2285
Country: United Kingdom

Thanks for the comments all.
@ Steve - would appreciate your C&C re the elements you find distracting & need removal.

@ Niall, The second pub, 'The Mason's Arms' is in 'Lower' Odcombe. The church is in Norton-sub-Hamden. I had just bought a 70-200L and on my way home over Ham Hill. It had gone dusk. I always stop at the top of Ham Hill and take in the wonderful view. The mist was just rising out of the ground around the church. From memory, it was a 30 second exposure - the first image from the 70-200!

@ Tom a good thatch should hold tight and be waterproof for 20 ~ 25 years. There are various reeds used for thatching. A Norfolk Reed is supposed to be the best. The thatcher will cover his new thatch with wire netting to stop birds pulling reeds out for nesting materials! Various thatchers have their own trade mark. The make a straw sculpture of some sort. If you have a look on the roof of the Royal Oak pub, you can see the thatcher made several straw ducks thereupon.

Thatches are very warm in the winter and cool in the summer. They are beautiful but there is a downside. They are a fire risk. Imagine a spark or two from a well stoked fire. A new thatch can cost 20,000 or more (approx. $US32,000)

The other downside is that most thatch cottages are 'listed' buildings. That means that the owners will be under severe restrictions on what they can do with the building (re-modelling etc - must use same types of windows, not allowed to knock walls down or add extensions etc) and that means the must replace a thatched roof with a thatch... Here endeth the lesson!



Donald Gray
Registered: Nov 12, 2005
Total Posts: 2285
Country: United Kingdom

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Beautiful Sir Donald! Makes me want to suck up the gear and head east!


Any time, young James, any time



nickjohnson
Registered: Sep 15, 2009
Total Posts: 741
Country: United Kingdom

Nice to see you posting again Donald. Have to agree that the last image in your post is magical well done young Sir.

BTW The area around Donald's home really is that picturesque, and the folks in those parts are very nice to know. I've been the grateful recipient of much hospitality.

Donald and I will be flying a low level, two ship formation for White Ensign Day @Yeovilton on the 12th of July. All are welcome to join us please let me know If your coming so that I can arrange the right number of shooting towels, button badges, and ice-creams.

Until White Ensign Day this is as close to aviation as I get . oh well.




nickjohnson
Registered: Sep 15, 2009
Total Posts: 741
Country: United Kingdom

Donald Gray wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
Beautiful Sir Donald! Makes me want to suck up the gear and head east!


Any time, young James, any time


+1



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16036
Country: United States

Thank you Donald!

Lady Jo, I've always been fairly pleased with my ability to capture challenging images from the air, but this stabilizer has taken both my abilities and my expectations to a whole new level. Granted, at 1/8th all the stars have to align and the air needs to be like velvet, but even with all those factors on one's side, that shot was made out of "unobtanium" as Glenn Smith would say, prior to the 4x4 and the D800/1DX.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16036
Country: United States

..................



Jan-Arie
Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Total Posts: 3519
Country: Netherlands

100 Years of Dutch Military Aviation Volkel Airbase Netherlands



MarcelK
Registered: Jan 30, 2010
Total Posts: 24
Country: Netherlands

Nice aerials Jim!

Had a nice day with Jan-Arie and Roel @Volkel today





Marcel.



Jan-Arie
Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Total Posts: 3519
Country: Netherlands

And a foggy one



Jan-Arie
Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Total Posts: 3519
Country: Netherlands

New Type of B25



USM IS
Registered: Apr 12, 2010
Total Posts: 1232
Country: United States

Very nice capture of Ox Bend Dan! I think your class paid off a little, keep using it....

Mike



Jan-Arie
Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Total Posts: 3519
Country: Netherlands

Spitfire Mk IX Dutch Airforce Historic Flight.



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 3268
Country: United States

Donald Gray wrote:
Thanks for the comments all.
@ Steve - would appreciate your C&C re the elements you find distracting & need removal.

@ Niall, The second pub, 'The Mason's Arms' is in 'Lower' Odcombe. The church is in Norton-sub-Hamden. I had just bought a 70-200L and on my way home over Ham Hill. It had gone dusk. I always stop at the top of Ham Hill and take in the wonderful view. The mist was just rising out of the ground around the church. From memory, it was a 30 second exposure - the first image from the 70-200!

@ Tom a good thatch should hold tight and be waterproof for 20 ~ 25 years. There are various reeds used for thatching. A Norfolk Reed is supposed to be the best. The thatcher will cover his new thatch with wire netting to stop birds pulling reeds out for nesting materials! Various thatchers have their own trade mark. The make a straw sculpture of some sort. If you have a look on the roof of the Royal Oak pub, you can see the thatcher made several straw ducks thereupon.

Thatches are very warm in the winter and cool in the summer. They are beautiful but there is a downside. They are a fire risk. Imagine a spark or two from a well stoked fire. A new thatch can cost 20,000 or more (approx. $US32,000)

The other downside is that most thatch cottages are 'listed' buildings. That means that the owners will be under severe restrictions on what they can do with the building (re-modelling etc - must use same types of windows, not allowed to knock walls down or add extensions etc) and that means the must replace a thatched roof with a thatch... Here endeth the lesson!


There are a couple of modern metal storage buildings I'd like to see gone, and perhaps one or two of the more obnoxious street lights.



1       2       3              3748      
3749
       3750              4273       4274       end