Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3708

1       2       3              3708      
       3710              4533       4534       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

Well, the Blues started engines and then scrubbed the afternoon practice. We went out to the LSO shack at the approach end of 26 and waited for airplanes. And waited. And waited some more. A pair of CH-53's departed but refused the tower's request to take a 26 departure, so they were a mile or more away when the lifted off. Finally, a brace of T-45's departed 26, followed by another pair. Then it was quiet again for a good long while until a pair of Chinooks came in...but they refused the 26 arrival...

Finally, as we were headed for the buses in the gloaming, things got busy. T-45 recoveries, Prowler launches, and a C-130 arrival capped off our day. I was shooting the last Prowler at ISO 3200 f/4 @ 1/160sec: Webesee.

gerov
Total Posts: 9030

Jeff,
had a chance to read your article/interview and admire the pictures. Again, my hearty congratulations on getting published in f/11. I had been wondering what it would take to get published, and you seem to have answered the question

Gero

Razor17
Total Posts: 465

stevez wrote:
Jeff W. wrote:
stevez wrote:
I set off on a road trip to NAF El Centro yesterday and stopped along the Colorado River upstream from Moab to take photos and stretch the Phantom 2's legs a little. I uploaded a little unedited video, but my browser won't play it (just displays "Blocked Plugin"). Does it work for anyone else?

Worked well for me Steve. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. I've got my fingers crossed for some vapor and great photo-ops for NAFEC. I'm looking forward to your photographs

Thanks, Jeff. Turns out I had to install a later version of Flash to get it to work for me.

After all the horror stories, I'll certainly take the warnings about whizzing propellers to heart.

I ventured a couple miles from the highway today to shoot Mexican Hat Rock with the Phantom 2. No video yet, but here is a stereo-X pair from the quad, and a photo of it ready to take off from the hood of my car.

Steve, I really like the videos, have you ever tried to land it across the river but up on the side of the mountain looking back at you?

Lynn

Razor17
Total Posts: 465

Jeff, congrats on your article in F11. A really nice spread there...

Lynn

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

Farmed the Bonanza out for some video work with Andrew tonight but rode along for fun and was able to get a few snapshots...

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Glenn

Glenn Watson

View from the inside seat...

Glenn

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

Glenn, cannot see any of your last posts. Not sure if it's you or me.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Jeff W. wrote:
I am very proud to inform the MA2A family that my photography has been featured in the latest issue of f11 Magazine. I am only the second aviation oriented photographer to be featured - photography icon Paul Bowen being the first. To say that puts me in some very elite company would be a massive understatement. I am more than humbled. I'd truly appreciate it if you'd take a few minutes to read the article and give me your thoughts and impressions.

www.f11magazine.com

I've been a subscriber to f11 Magazine for a couple of years and believe it is one of the finest photography magazines available - an obvious biased statement. It is both a humbling and satisfying experience to have some of my work selected for their magazine. I encourage you to sign up for a free subscription and enjoy this excellent publication (shameless plug).

I would be remiss if I did not thank all of you for helping to inspire my photography and for your encouragement - who would have 'thunk it'.

For those wondering, the editor of f11 told me he found my work on Flickr. Talk about a needle in a very large haystack

Well Done Jeff!

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

Razor17 wrote:
stevez wrote:
Jeff W. wrote:
stevez wrote:
I set off on a road trip to NAF El Centro yesterday and stopped along the Colorado River upstream from Moab to take photos and stretch the Phantom 2's legs a little. I uploaded a little unedited video, but my browser won't play it (just displays "Blocked Plugin"). Does it work for anyone else?

Worked well for me Steve. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. I've got my fingers crossed for some vapor and great photo-ops for NAFEC. I'm looking forward to your photographs

Thanks, Jeff. Turns out I had to install a later version of Flash to get it to work for me.

After all the horror stories, I'll certainly take the warnings about whizzing propellers to heart.

I ventured a couple miles from the highway today to shoot Mexican Hat Rock with the Phantom 2. No video yet, but here is a stereo-X pair from the quad, and a photo of it ready to take off from the hood of my car.

Steve, I really like the videos, have you ever tried to land it across the river but up on the side of the mountain looking back at you?

Lynn

Why, no, Lynn: that would require skills I do not possess.

Here are the first quick-and-dirty laptop edits from today's meager haul at El Centro. Both are from very late in the day.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19272

Meager, but worth it!

JWilsonphoto

Sure glad I don't shoot weddings........

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/08/22/New-Mexico-Court-Christian-Photographer-Cannot-Refuse-Gay-Marriage-Ceremony-Next-Stop-U-S-Supreme-Court

JWilsonphoto

Nice work Glenn! They didn't show up at first, but now they are there in typical 3D Watson style!

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9316

One could also use The Bible to justify not serving bi-racial couples, or anyone "different" than the proprietor of the business.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Sure glad I don't shoot weddings........

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/08/22/New-Mexico-Court-Christian-Photographer-Cannot-Refuse-Gay-Marriage-Ceremony-Next-Stop-U-S-Supreme-Court

JWilsonphoto

Good Morning Laura,

This is a tangled web for certain, but refusing a bi-racial couple would be very hard to justify from a Christian perspective. I'd have to say that would be a decision made on racism, not religious conviction. Scripture makes the definition of marriage about as clear as it can be. While I firmly believe that people should have the freedom and right to make decisions like same sex marriage, without judgement form others, I don't think someone should be coerced into being a part of such an event if it is contrary to their faith. It's a real stretch to compare a bi-racial couple tying the knot to a same sex marriage, there is no reasonable faith based defense for rejecting that union. This isn't a case of an ignorant bigot refusing someone service based upon their skin color, but it is a case of a being forced to participate in a ceremony that is in polar opposition to many people's beliefs. No one is saying that there should be sign carrying idiots from Kansas outside the wedding, but neither should we be forced to be a part of it. It's an agenda, that's why it becomes high profile like this. I would guess that there are plenty of wedding photographers in every geographic locale who have no particular spiritual grounding, or whose belief system has no problem with this type of union. If I shot weddings, I'd decline the opportunity to shoot a skin head wedding, should I be forced to?

I'm sure it will go to the Supreme Court, and once again, like the decision that allows us to murder 4,000 of our innocent unborn children every 24 hours, Christians will see another layer of their personal freedoms eroded, so that an activist group can push their agenda. This has nothing to do with whether I think they should be able to make their decision, live whatever lifestyle they choose, their "sin" is no different in God's eyes, than mine. It's about being forced to participate in theirs that seems more than a bit unfair in a free society.

JWilsonphoto

I guess folks can take down the age old signs that read, "This establishment retains the right to refuse service to anyone", or "No shoes, no shirt, no service."

On the other side of that coin, there is no reason to heap judgement on the people who are asking you to shoot their wedding. That would be equally wrong. One could, without turning it into a big issue, just be booked, and leave it at that. I believe very much in Christ's admonishment to "Remove the beam from my own eye, before I worry too much about the splinter in someone else's".

My post was not to stir up a huge debate, it was more just saying, I'm glad I don't serve a market that is becoming high profile, because the way things seem to be "progressing", it's unlikely people of faith are going to win this, or any other battle surrounding their freedoms.

Taking it a step further, if I was entering into this form of union, I wouldn't want a photographer there who didn't believe in what I was doing, or wasn't at least neutral on the subject. How ridiculous to think that the images wouldn't be severely compromised. If we could peel away the "agenda" layer of all of this and apply a little common sense, I think Kermit's objective of us "all getting along", would be easier to achieve.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

stevez wrote:

Here are the first quick-and-dirty laptop edits from today's meager haul at El Centro. Both are from very late in the day.

Nice work Steve. Were you standing on the centerline or were these boys having to crab into the stiff breeze

I always love the soft light and warm tones of the early evening at NAFEC

Edit for TOPP:

1       2       3              3708      
       3710              4533       4534       end