Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3702

1       2       3              3702      
3703
       3704              4854       4855       end

stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4060
Country: United States

Angry wrote:
Thanks guys...
Seeing I already have a 1D4,..for the fast frame stuff with the 1.3 crop...
5D3 might fill the whole n make a good 2nd/other camera
Comment about price is correct,,,..


Al, have I not made myself clear? The 1D4 you already have (for sports and longer reach) and a 5D3 for everything else: it's a great combo.



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 8878
Country: United States

In case anyone has some spare change, they can pick up this little beauty

I can see Jim flying this now



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4060
Country: United States

Any guesses what the former AF1 might fetch? What's a clapped-out DC-9 without the fancy paint scheme worth on the open market? Not much, right?



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4775
Country: United States

What's the going rate for bulk aluminum scrap these days?



RobMoser
Registered: Sep 04, 2007
Total Posts: 865
Country: United States

stevez wrote:
Any guesses what the former AF1 might fetch? What's a clapped-out DC-9 without the fancy paint scheme worth on the open market? Not much, right?


Probably a good deal more than a 727

DC9s sell for 1-2M$ all things being equal. 727s can be had for less than the price of a new Piper Arrow because nobody can afford to use them UNLESS they're the VIP model. They're seriously fast (and that's represented in fuel burn) but for passenger travel they usually shut down the third engine after takeoff to conserve fuel, so they're back in the stupor-80 speed class. And since they require three pilots, no airline will touch the things. If you're rich and don't give a damn and don't need continental range, they're wonderful.

Rob



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4775
Country: United States

Some of the fastet cycle to cycle flights I've ever been on were in the Northwest 727 days.

Darn near supersonic in comparison to the 737s of Southwest.



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4775
Country: United States

At J-A...

They polished and painted her for a Breiteling (sp?) watch ad. She's now DOLLY on the left side but they kept Spam Can on the right.



Razor17
Registered: Oct 08, 2012
Total Posts: 465
Country: United States

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Just got this in at 16x24 to sign by request and then ship it to its new home...

Oh My! It's even better in print than I could have possibly hoped!

Thanks to all who helped with refining the concept!




Jay, I bet that would really look sharp as well on a canvas print from Mpix...

Lynn



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 18955
Country: United States

I think someone is pumping up the history of that 9 so it will bring more than the spot aluminum price, I doubt any President ever stepped foot on a DC-9.



dtw757
Registered: Jan 05, 2009
Total Posts: 129
Country: United States

NBC News had some footage of Bill and Billary Clinton stepping off it in Buffalo, circa 1999.



Jan-Arie
Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Total Posts: 4053
Country: Netherlands

FlyingPhotog wrote:
At J-A...

They polished and painted her for a Breiteling (sp?) watch ad. She's now DOLLY on the left side but they kept Spam Can on the right.


Thanks any chance of a photo of the other side?



jj_glos
Registered: Apr 11, 2010
Total Posts: 1317
Country: United Kingdom

I think I'll be looking into either renting a 100-400L (or 400L) for RIAT this year, either that or trying out a Canon mkIII 2.0x TC on the 70-200 (instead of the cheap Kenko I have)...

More from Abingdon:


Abingdon Airshow 2013 by jj_glos, on Flickr



Abingdon Airshow 2013 by jj_glos, on Flickr



Abingdon Airshow 2013 by jj_glos, on Flickr


Jan-Arie
Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Total Posts: 4053
Country: Netherlands

jj_glos wrote:
I think I'll be looking into either renting a 100-400L (or 400L) for RIAT this year, either that or trying out a Canon mkIII 2.0x TC on the 70-200 (instead of the cheap Kenko I have)...


Be sure to check if you have autofocus when using the 2.0 TC or else you will be manual focusing and that is very hard with moving objects..



jj_glos
Registered: Apr 11, 2010
Total Posts: 1317
Country: United Kingdom

Jan-Arie wrote:
jj_glos wrote:
I think I'll be looking into either renting a 100-400L (or 400L) for RIAT this year, either that or trying out a Canon mkIII 2.0x TC on the 70-200 (instead of the cheap Kenko I have)...


Be sure to check if you have autofocus when using the 2.0 TC or else you will be manual focusing and that is very hard with moving objects..


The 7D focuses OK with the Kenko 2.0x TC, it even manages it with stacked 1.4x and 2.0x although IQ is in the toilet!

Second hand I can get a Canon mkIII 2.0x TC for 300, a 100-400L is around 725... I'm convinced that as soon as I buy a 100-400 they'll announce the replacement I might have a look at the Sigma 50-500 as well, the 150-500 I had was OK for the money. I was hoping that the 7D/70-200/2.0x might be good enough for my invited needs, but I wasn't too happy with the results. Although I have to be honest that my panning wasn't very good either, so it might be unfair to blame the tools entirely just yet



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 18955
Country: United States

dtw757 wrote:
NBC News had some footage of Bill and Billary Clinton stepping off it in Buffalo, circa 1999.


So it would need a thorough scrubbing.............................?



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 18955
Country: United States

jj_glos wrote:
Jan-Arie wrote:
jj_glos wrote:
I think I'll be looking into either renting a 100-400L (or 400L) for RIAT this year, either that or trying out a Canon mkIII 2.0x TC on the 70-200 (instead of the cheap Kenko I have)...


Be sure to check if you have autofocus when using the 2.0 TC or else you will be manual focusing and that is very hard with moving objects..


The 7D focuses OK with the Kenko 2.0x TC, it even manages it with stacked 1.4x and 2.0x although IQ is in the toilet!

Second hand I can get a Canon mkIII 2.0x TC for 300, a 100-400L is around 725... I'm convinced that as soon as I buy a 100-400 they'll announce the replacement I might have a look at the Sigma 50-500 as well, the 150-500 I had was OK for the money. I was hoping that the 7D/70-200/2.0x might be good enough for my invited needs, but I wasn't too happy with the results. Although I have to be honest that my panning wasn't very good either, so it might be unfair to blame the tools entirely just yet



I kept buying the newest iteration of Canon's 2X because they kept telling me I'd love "the new one", that has not been the case. Canon's 2X III is just about worthless on the existing 100-400. They make reasonable, but expensive paper weights. Sigma has always been "ok for the money".

Rumor has it that the new 100-400 will be released this year, but I wouldn't put much stock in that, given their inability to bring the 200-400 to market.



jj_glos
Registered: Apr 11, 2010
Total Posts: 1317
Country: United Kingdom

Yeah I wouldn't be using a 2.0x on a 100-400, it's more using the 2.0x on a 70-200 mkII instead of buying a 100-400. My main use for a longer lens would be airshows and motorsports, as I'm able to stop down (slow shutter speeds as I prefer shooting props) I was hoping it would suffice... I'll get a proper long lens eventually but it's not likely to be this year.



saph
Registered: Jun 10, 2012
Total Posts: 3519
Country: United States

Folks, anyone know when the Solar Impulse is due in DC?



Ernie Aubert
Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Total Posts: 4734
Country: United States

JWilsonphoto wrote:
dtw757 wrote:
NBC News had some footage of Bill and Billary Clinton stepping off it in Buffalo, circa 1999.


So it would need a thorough scrubbing.............................?


Yes - or any other politician.

Looking at that Mustang, I find myself a bit confused: It looks like either the flaps are down, or both ailerons are up; and it looks like the left aileron is longer than the right one. Are my eyes playing some kind of tricks on me?



Jan-Arie
Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Total Posts: 4053
Country: Netherlands

Ernie Aubert wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
dtw757 wrote:
NBC News had some footage of Bill and Billary Clinton stepping off it in Buffalo, circa 1999.


So it would need a thorough scrubbing.............................?


Yes - or any other politician.

Looking at that Mustang, I find myself a bit confused: It looks like either the flaps are down, or both ailerons are up; and it looks like the left aileron is longer than the right one. Are my eyes playing some kind of tricks on me?


Flaps are down possibly to slow down for the camera ship and port side aileron is deflected a little bit translating in the right bank of the Mustang if I'm correct.



1       2       3              3702      
3703
       3704              4854       4855       end