Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3702

1       2       3              3702      
       3704              4374       4375       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3495

If you had to limit yourself to only one camera body, I consider the 5D3 to be the best choice for an all-around, do-everything-well FF body. It's nearly as good as the 1DX for sports and better for landscapes (more pixels!). While the D800 isn't as good for sports as either of the Canons, for everything else it's a superb tool. But in low light the 1DX outshines the others: it may have fewer pixels, but those it does have are mighty fine. And in the hand the 1DX is a joy: it just feels right.

[edit for TOPP: pulled from my iPad]

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

tom cardin wrote:
I love the expression on the boy, looks like he is waiting for someone to make up their mind. I still have a picture of me in my pedal car. Wish I still had that car, make a nice down payment on one of today's cars.

Tom

Funny thing about that Pedalcar , I searched high & low for one......then one afternoon my middle daughter comes home with her boyfriend ,...who casually comments he still has his original pedalcar....did I want to borrow it....

A week late one of my Fotog mates asked me about the Pedalcar,.....turns out his brother has a collection of them,...old new restored & unrestored originals....

Im thinkin about findin an old one & doping it up for the young fella....but boys will be boys.....I want a HotRod Pedalcar......

Al

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1920

stevez wrote:
If you had to limit yourself to only one camera body, I consider the 5D3 to be the best choice for an all-around, do-everything-well FF body. It's nearly as good as the 1DX for sports and better for landscapes (more pixels!). While the D800 isn't as good for sports as either of the Canons, for everything else it's a superb tool. But in low light the 1DX outshines the others: it may have fewer pixels, but those it does have are mighty fine. And in the hand the 1DX is a joy: it just feels right.

I certainly concur with Steve's assessment of the 5D3. I've not regretted selling my 1D4 for one minute. You can get two 5D3 bodies for the price of a single 1Dx. Definitely a great camera IMO.

BTW, your TOPP image Steve is wonderful - I like everything about it. Location please and sailplane ID please.

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

Thanks guys...
Seeing I already have a 1D4,..for the fast frame stuff with the 1.3 crop...
5D3 might fill the whole n make a good 2nd/other camera
Comment about price is correct,,,..

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3663

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Sunny Days are so over rated...

Gimme the giant softbox please!

Great series Jay but they turned Spam Can in a very nice VLR Mustang I must say

stevezzzz

Jeff W. wrote:
stevez wrote:

I certainly concur with Steve's assessment of the 5D3. I've not regretted selling my 1D4 for one minute. You can get two 5D3 bodies for the price of a single 1Dx. Definitely a great camera IMO.

BTW, your TOPP image Steve is wonderful - I like everything about it. Location please and sailplane ID please.

Thanks, Jeff. That's Livingston, MT during fire season a number of years ago (hence the haze on the hills). The glider is a Stemme S10-VT with its wings folded. This was the first photo of mine published in AOPA Pilot.

stevezzzz

Angry wrote:
Thanks guys...
Seeing I already have a 1D4,..for the fast frame stuff with the 1.3 crop...
5D3 might fill the whole n make a good 2nd/other camera
Comment about price is correct,,,..

Al, have I not made myself clear? The 1D4 you already have (for sports and longer reach) and a 5D3 for everything else: it's a great combo.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7833

In case anyone has some spare change, they can pick up this little beauty

I can see Jim flying this now

stevezzzz

Any guesses what the former AF1 might fetch? What's a clapped-out DC-9 without the fancy paint scheme worth on the open market? Not much, right?

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4567

What's the going rate for bulk aluminum scrap these days?

RobMoser
Total Posts: 841

stevez wrote:
Any guesses what the former AF1 might fetch? What's a clapped-out DC-9 without the fancy paint scheme worth on the open market? Not much, right?

Probably a good deal more than a 727

DC9s sell for 1-2M$ all things being equal. 727s can be had for less than the price of a new Piper Arrow because nobody can afford to use them UNLESS they're the VIP model. They're seriously fast (and that's represented in fuel burn) but for passenger travel they usually shut down the third engine after takeoff to conserve fuel, so they're back in the stupor-80 speed class. And since they require three pilots, no airline will touch the things. If you're rich and don't give a damn and don't need continental range, they're wonderful.

Rob

FlyingPhotog

Some of the fastet cycle to cycle flights I've ever been on were in the Northwest 727 days.

Darn near supersonic in comparison to the 737s of Southwest.

FlyingPhotog

At J-A...

They polished and painted her for a Breiteling (sp?) watch ad. She's now DOLLY on the left side but they kept Spam Can on the right.

Razor17
Total Posts: 340

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Just got this in at 16x24 to sign by request and then ship it to its new home...

Oh My! It's even better in print than I could have possibly hoped!

Thanks to all who helped with refining the concept!

Jay, I bet that would really look sharp as well on a canvas print from Mpix...

Lynn

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16320

I think someone is pumping up the history of that 9 so it will bring more than the spot aluminum price, I doubt any President ever stepped foot on a DC-9.

dtw757
Total Posts: 115

NBC News had some footage of Bill and Billary Clinton stepping off it in Buffalo, circa 1999.

Jan-Arie

FlyingPhotog wrote:
At J-A...

They polished and painted her for a Breiteling (sp?) watch ad. She's now DOLLY on the left side but they kept Spam Can on the right.

Thanks any chance of a photo of the other side?

jj_glos
Total Posts: 1236

I think I'll be looking into either renting a 100-400L (or 400L) for RIAT this year, either that or trying out a Canon mkIII 2.0x TC on the 70-200 (instead of the cheap Kenko I have)...

More from Abingdon:

Abingdon Airshow 2013 by jj_glos, on Flickr

Jan-Arie

jj_glos wrote:
I think I'll be looking into either renting a 100-400L (or 400L) for RIAT this year, either that or trying out a Canon mkIII 2.0x TC on the 70-200 (instead of the cheap Kenko I have)...

Be sure to check if you have autofocus when using the 2.0 TC or else you will be manual focusing and that is very hard with moving objects..

jj_glos
Total Posts: 1236

Jan-Arie wrote:
jj_glos wrote:

Be sure to check if you have autofocus when using the 2.0 TC or else you will be manual focusing and that is very hard with moving objects..

The 7D focuses OK with the Kenko 2.0x TC, it even manages it with stacked 1.4x and 2.0x although IQ is in the toilet!

Second hand I can get a Canon mkIII 2.0x TC for 300, a 100-400L is around 725... I'm convinced that as soon as I buy a 100-400 they'll announce the replacement I might have a look at the Sigma 50-500 as well, the 150-500 I had was OK for the money. I was hoping that the 7D/70-200/2.0x might be good enough for my invited needs, but I wasn't too happy with the results. Although I have to be honest that my panning wasn't very good either, so it might be unfair to blame the tools entirely just yet

1       2       3              3702      
       3704              4374       4375       end