Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3700

1       2       3              3700      
       3702              4379       4380       end

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1759

Angry wrote:
Camera Upgrade help ...

Hi guys (& ladies) I currently have a 7D & a 1D4,...im thinking about upgrading the 7D as Im not happy witht he noise & the hit & miss AF.
I shoot Aussie Rules Footbal mostly daytime here but winter days offer low light so AF is a bit of luck...I also shoot Wakeboarding, Warbirds & Motorsport/ Ski Racing Boats ,MotoX & Freestyle MotoX..
The thing I find galling is the inconsistancy of the 7D AF & the 7D IQ especially the noise, when PPing the 7D images I find them less tolerant of PP work,...It does have a Crop advantage but sometimes this is outweighed by the Quality & Inconsistant AF issues.

I also have a pre loved 1D4 & find it really good..

I want another Body & have narrowed it down to the following,
1D3, 1Ds3, 5D3..
I can get a Pre Loved 1D4 here for around $2600/$3000. or...
A 1Ds3 for around $2500/$2800
a 1D3 for around $1500/$2000..
I can buy a new 5D3 for between $2600 /$3200 ..

The 1D3 is only 10mp,...so Im not tto keen on that body, ....
but the 1Ds3 has 20mp FPS is down at 5/6FPS which isnt bad as a number 2 body with the 1D4 able to crank out 10FPS at will..

I know the 5D3 doesnt have the 10FPS, but lateley Ive been trying my 1D4 slow speed drive @ 6FPS & find I can still get a hell of a lot of action at that FPS speed.
Ive heard that the 5D3 AF, especially in average & low light is really good, can anyone confirm this, my two main lenses are a Canon 300F2.8 IS & a Canon L 70-200F2.8 IS II....I also have a 100-400f5.6

I look forward to hearing from someone who has used these cameras.

Al

I have a 5D3 and have just done the latest Firmware upgrade that gives autofocus to F8 (but only with centre spot). I had been considering a 1Dx but it doesn't have F8 capability. At Shuttleworth at the weekend I did find the buffer filled unexpectedly (first time ever) but I had it recording to an SD card rather than the CF (I still haven't quite sorted out all the card options, I wanted it to record stills to CF and video to SD but got it the wrong way round!) I don't think you'll regret a 5D3 - I have a 7D as my back up but almost never use it.
Niall

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4580

Canon will have to call it a bug of some kind eventually because everyone I know with a 5D3 complains about how badly SD drags it down.

Stick with CF and you'll be much happier.

@ AL: I think I gave you my $0.02 on POTN...

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7841

Thanks Dan, Steve, Jay (I think you've done made something of yourself for sure!), Mark (and that's an excellent shot for TOPP 3700), Jim, Brian, Curtis, David, Jo, and Al.

Now on to Anatomy and Physiology I and its lab, Intro to Health Care Delivery, and then some classes for me, B&W Photography and Darkroom, Yoga, and Tai Chi for the summer session. Anatomy and Physiology II and Microbiology and their labs for Fall semester along with Computer Photography.

Jeff, wow on the Solar Impulse. reminds me of Close Encounters Hope you get to see it leave.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3497

@Al: I miss my old 5D3. And I own a 1DX.

Does that answer your question?

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2663

1DX will AF at f/8 also with the latest firmware. I'd go 5DmkIII. The AF is amazing. Best of any camera I have used. I would never even consider a 1dMkIII. The AF on that camera is just no good, and 10mp is no good either.

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

Thanks, Jeff, Niall, Jay Steve & Tim...

Out of all I think Tim probable shoots closest to my kind of images,...with Motorsport....
I just shoot with less skill...
Thinking about keeping the 1D$ & getting a 5D3,....7D might become Long range . good light camera/Backup....
Seems the 7D is like the 100-400 , OK in good light.....but not quite there...

Thanks guys..

Angry

BTW,..Ive become a Grand dad.....my eldest daughter has had a little boy..

Now were teaching him the driving thing,...you can never start em too young...

Angry

Tweety Bird anyone ?

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3669

Angry wrote:
BTW,..Ive become a Grand dad.....my eldest daughter has had a little boy..

Now were teaching him the driving thing,...you can never start em too young...

Great photo Alan

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3497

Angry wrote:
Thanks, Jeff, Niall, Jay Steve & Tim...

Out of all I think Tim probable shoots closest to my kind of images,...with Motorsport....
I just shoot with less skill...
Thinking about keeping the 1D$ & getting a 5D3,....7D might become Long range . good light camera/Backup....
Seems the 7D is like the 100-400 , OK in good light.....but not quite there...

Thanks guys..

That sound like a good plan, Al. You've already got the 1D4, right?

tom cardin
Total Posts: 1991

I love the expression on the boy, looks like he is waiting for someone to make up their mind. I still have a picture of me in my pedal car. Wish I still had that car, make a nice down payment on one of today's cars.

Tom

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1591

Espagaro by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16334

I agree with Tim, the X is most probably the finest action related pro frame in existence, even with it's warts. I've not shot with a 5D III so it could well be in the running, Zim would certainly be the default opinion if I were trying to make a decision.

Normally I have four bodies of the same model, currently I have two X's and two D800's. Don't believe I'll do anything until a next-gen is released from one or both of them. The company that does that will have a big influence on whether I remain an equal opportunity shooter, or go 100% in any one direction.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

The CIC visitin Austin for the day....

JWilsonphoto

Cute shot Al!

JWilsonphoto

Raining and rumbling at HQ at the moment, which is good for lush green backgrounds............

JWilsonphoto

Had lunch with "The Great Dobransky" a little while ago. We lamented the development of DBI, and revisited the old days. Ruminated on what a matched set of squeak marks would look like on the main thoroughfare in the middle of it.

JWilsonphoto

ISO 2500, 1/80th/2.8......................banding beginning to show in the shadow areas.

JWilsonphoto

Interesting, this is the identical exposure set up, but is a more perfect exposure for the existing light so no sliders required. No banding............... (and so sharp you can practically read the highway signs down the tollway!)

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Gorgeous shot Jim! Perfect light

1       2       3              3700      
       3702              4379       4380       end