Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3698

1       2       3              3698      
       3700              4321       4322       end

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4524

Glenn Watson wrote:
Do you find yourself using that filter a lot Jay? Can see lots of opportunities when shooting during the middle of the day for sure.
Do you notice any IQ loss?

These were shot around 4pm in the afternoon with .9 (3 stop) sheet ND cut to 52mm discs and sandwiched in the stock Canon drop in filter holder (ie, NOT the threaded one)

300mm f/2.8
1/125 @ f/4.5 ISO 100

500mm f/4
1/125 @ f/5.6 ISO 100

Now this was shot very early in the morning with the 300mm + ND and the light was such that wide open at f/2.8 and 1/125 was more or less the right exposure! Notice the foreground. That's not T/S effect. That's simply f/2.8 at work. You won't normally get this shallow DOF shooting props even first thing in the morning without the ND:

Oh, and major bonus, there was essentially ZERO dust spots!

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16141

Cool sequence JJ!

Leviathor
Total Posts: 193

JWilsonphoto wrote:
At 1/30th, the runway number are tack sharp, unreal. I can hardly wait to try some air to air tricks with this rig!

This is really gorgeous Jim!

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3399

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I hear that they are doing free sensor cleaning at HQ this week, which includes lunch at I'n'O............ For anyone with the initials GW, from Austin.................

All kidding aside, Ya gotta clean those sensors or you'll spend the rest of your life cloning crud. I hate it. The X and the D800, mostly the X get trashed very quickly.

Or you could just hand it off to your retoucher, and let him deal with the dust spots.

You think I'm kidding? I viewed a YouTube video yesterday, a Lamborghini Aventador studio shoot, and the photog was at some pains to add grid spots to make his retoucher's life a little easier, but in the final few seconds they showed a before-and-after sequence where there must have been a couple hundred dust spots in the original image, and those were just the ones visible at 480p.

I'll see if I can find the link...

Ah, here it is: http://fstoppers.com/aventador

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks Rich and Jay. It's so nice to have something you spend a bunch of money on end up being more than you had hoped for. Far too often the scenario is reversed. There's one winging it's way to a very talented MA2A'er as we speak. I can't wait to see the grin, as if his stuff isn't stellar enough as it is.

Oh, and just for grins I looked at every frame from tonight's flight. The results are in, 487 frames, three weren't sharp. I'm debating whether to send it back................. I wanted to shoot a video so badly, but that's not what I was there for and the light was changing rapidly as I orbited. Given how everything felt, it would have been velvety. Another day.

Knowing how unforgiving the D800's sensor is to the slightest bit of camera shake, I gotta tell you I'm super excited to get my hands on the 4x4. I played with a borrowed Kenyon once, maybe eight years ago, but the hassle of the extra weight, cord and battery pack didn't excite me.

But your tack sharp A2G in the deep, post-sunset gloaming: that excites me. I also think the dual-axis stabilization will be easier to adjust to than single-axis, which felt extremely uncooperative in my hands: single-axis precession forces just don't 'compute'.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3032

Single axis precession forces at work

Glenn Watson

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Good stuff Jay...ive been thinking about ways to stop down while flying. I always like the results when its dark enough to push the lens wide open before I have to start cranking ISO up the best.

Glenn

stevezzzz

Did any of our Phoenix-area members get over to Sky Harbor to see Solar Impulse while it's there?

http://www.solarimpulse.com/timeline/view/6971#.UYp3j4CxIHQ.gmail

http://www.solarimpulse.com/timeline/view/6970#.UYp5gzqHTfM.gmail

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7724

Interrupting your regularly scheduled airshow to toot my own horn .

Grades finally posted, and I've got a 3.769 GPA, and managed that A in Chemistry.

Back to your regularly scheduled airplanes

DanNehmer
Total Posts: 270

Laura,

That is awsome! Good work and very happy for you. You desirve it.

Dan

FlyingPhotog

stevez wrote:
Did any of our Phoenix-area members get over to Sky Harbor to see Solar Impulse while it's there?

It's going to be here for a while from what I understand.

stevezzzz

You should feel free to interrupt anytime, with news like that. Congratulations, and kudos to you for your dedication and hard work.

FlyingPhotog

Congrats Laura! You have no idea how much I wish I could do a large part of my education all over again. Maybe I'd have a chance to actually make something of myself.

Anywho...

Work in progress. There are times when I really wish I could actually draw.

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Very cool, Jay. Somehow, I don't that is going to buff right out of the Mig...

Gero

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3567

Jay can't see your photo Content protected by owner?

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1875

stevez wrote:

As I am not able to photograph much lately, I was amongst a cadre of brain damaged shooters that stood on top of a nearby parking garage to try and capture images of the Solar Impulse as it arrived in Phoenix. It landed at 12:27 AM and getting images in near total darkness was a crap shoot at best. Here are two of my better failures. I hope to get an opportunity to see it leave in the early morning. I apologize for lowering the MA2A bar so significantly, but this is all I've photographed (aviation wise) in the past few weeks - sorry.

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Jeff,
given the lighting, time of night, and the fact that JW didn't send you his Kenyon, these are great results. Must have been very cool to see that come in.

Gero

FlyingPhotog

Think I'm gonna run with this one...

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2096

Glenn Watson wrote:
Single axis precession forces at work

Absolutely stunning, Glenn.

1       2       3              3698      
       3700              4321       4322       end