Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3687

1       2       3              3687      
3688
       3689              4309       4310       end

Wrei
Registered: Aug 01, 2008
Total Posts: 2221
Country: United States

The only cure for (being politically correct here, which is not my nature, just trying to be nice and I don't want to blame only men) for "human" made global climate change is to eliminate the human. Since we are not willing to go back to pre-fire cave man days on our own, any human activity, including manufacturing EV's contributes to human global warming.

TOPP edit:






dehowie
Registered: Oct 22, 2004
Total Posts: 996
Country: Australia

Work...







MMcGrath
Registered: Apr 15, 2006
Total Posts: 2152
Country: United Kingdom

Darren,

That is superb. Good to see you back posting.
What do you use for a camera mount?

Mark



Rodolfo Paiz
Registered: Jan 07, 2007
Total Posts: 9737
Country: United States

Superb indeed.



Rodolfo Paiz
Registered: Jan 07, 2007
Total Posts: 9737
Country: United States

Wrei wrote:
The only cure for (being politically correct here, which is not my nature, just trying to be nice and I don't want to blame only men) for "human" made global climate change is to eliminate the human. Since we are not willing to go back to pre-fire cave man days on our own, any human activity, including manufacturing EV's contributes to human global warming.


I'm much more optimistic. And I do think we need to make some hard choices, but certainly I agree with Jim that no one will, nor should, have to go back to the dark ages. Over the years, for example, I have come to favor nuclear energy and especially research into its improvement. In an ideal world, I'd prefer other energy sources. But in a world where roughly half the electricity comes from coal (anyone seen images from Beijing recently?), I'll take nuclear all day long if it means getting away from coal.

Once we've made a given set of improvements, we can then look to improve further still. For a given amount of light, bulbs have gone from 100W (incandescent) to 50W (halogen), to 30W (CFL), to 20W (LED). Cutting the energy we (the human race) use for lighting by 80% would be a big deal. And so on in other areas.

Please note that my reluctantly-pro-nuclear statement is not really part of a "climate change" discussion. It's only one of my preferences in responding to the world we face today, and it reflects my personal opinions and biases. As I said before, not only do I believe that we can do better, but also that we can do better (make more money, have better quality of life) while doing so. Less coal does not just impact climate change, for example: it directly affects human respiratory health and everyone's economics in healthcare.

Whoever leads the world in sustainable (or at least increasingly more sustainable) products and energy will be minting money throughout the 21st century, selling those products and energy to everyone else. The increasing demand is certainly there.

I'll shut up now... don't want to take us too far off-topic and I've surely expressed my opinion.



Leviathor
Registered: Dec 20, 2005
Total Posts: 192
Country: United States

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Wrei wrote:
The only cure for (being politically correct here, which is not my nature, just trying to be nice and I don't want to blame only men) for "human" made global climate change is to eliminate the human. Since we are not willing to go back to pre-fire cave man days on our own, any human activity, including manufacturing EV's contributes to human global warming.


I'm much more optimistic. And I do think we need to make some hard choices, but certainly I agree with Jim that no one will, nor should, have to go back to the dark ages. Over the years, for example, I have come to favor nuclear energy and especially research into its improvement. In an ideal world, I'd prefer other energy sources. But in a world where roughly half the electricity comes from coal (anyone seen images from Beijing recently?), I'll take nuclear all day long if it means getting away from coal.


Every bit of nuclear waste that humans have produced is still in existence today, and every bit that's in existence will exist until the sun dies.

Yes, there are ways to make nuclear power "safer" and "cleaner," but contingencies toward catastrophic failure will never be implemented. Then there's the non-issue issue of breeder reactors that would drastically lower the environmental footprint on how nuclear power is sustained. Ugh.

As I said before, not only do I believe that we can do better, but also that we can do better (make more money, have better quality of life) while doing so. Less coal does not just impact climate change, for example: it directly affects human respiratory health and everyone's economics in healthcare.

Whoever leads the world in sustainable (or at least increasingly more sustainable) products and energy will be minting money throughout the 21st century, selling those products and energy to everyone else. The increasing demand is certainly there.

I'll shut up now... don't want to take us too far off-topic and I've surely expressed my opinion.


We all must do better. More development into wind and solar are the first steps, and they'll take us a long way. Just recently one wind farm in California produced more power than California's combined nuclear output.

Getting renewable energy onto the road will help stave off the impending death of the fertilizer industry (we use phenomenally more fossil fuel now to produce the same amount of fertilizer as we did in 1940--bad, BAD news on many levels). Tidal generators and Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion are a couple more renewable solutions.

Must. Do. Better.








NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 7708
Country: United States

Maybe the Congress critters can agree on this without tacking on amendments that have nothing to do with the actual subject...



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 7708
Country: United States

, those are in the Missile and Space Gallery

Titan I

Titan II

stevez wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
The dash of the Tilt Rotor


Is that akin to the clash of the Titans?




JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16105
Country: United States

Very cool Dazz! Congrats on your new livery.



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 3370
Country: United States

I went out to Niwot Antique Airfield today for the annual picnic of the Colorado Antique Aircraft Association. There's just something about old taildraggers on a grass strip in the springtime.

By the way, the Pietenpol is the latest project of my 92-year-old friend, Jack Greiner, one of the owners of the airfield. He completed the Pietenpol in time to fly it to Blakesburg, Iowa last year for the annual Labor Day fly-in of the Antique Airplane Association. BTW, Blakesburg is one of my favorite aviation events: no air shows, no media, no crowds: just a bunch of old airplanes on a grass airstrip miles from the nearest town, and lots and lots of flying.

Jack is currently teaching aircraft construction techniques to a bunch of middle- and high-school kids, who give up their Saturdays twice a month to spend the day with an old codger rebuilding a Taylorcraft.



nrferguson
Registered: Apr 20, 2004
Total Posts: 1686
Country: United Kingdom

Just back from the Shuttleworth Trust's evening show. despite some rain earlier, the weather cleared just in time for the show, but unfortunately didn't drop enough (it needs to be practically non-existent) for them to fly the pre-Great War aircraft - maybe one day I'll see them!
Photos still downloading and 23.30 here so just one that's downloaded already before I go to bed.
Niall



cbrandt
Registered: Aug 03, 2006
Total Posts: 1486
Country: United States

Beautiful .. much older than the antiques that fly in to Horne Point



nrferguson
Registered: Apr 20, 2004
Total Posts: 1686
Country: United Kingdom

OK One more - the Lysander



cbrandt
Registered: Aug 03, 2006
Total Posts: 1486
Country: United States

Was out at the local airport .. thinking I should go back .. the back * garage * door of the Spitfire Hangar was open and there was the most beautiful deep yellow flawless looking Spitfire chocked right at the back door next to two reallllllllllly old cars that I had no idea what they were but were shinin' just like the Spitfire .. couple of spitfires, a p51, old cars, t39, I can't remember everything that in there .. but for sure a Huge Investment ! The owner no longer keeps a crew here .. they fly in .. do maintenance - fly a few and leave.

I could of at least gotten the N number off that jewel ...



cbrandt
Registered: Aug 03, 2006
Total Posts: 1486
Country: United States

I thought I'd post pricing for different seats on the following aircraft when they come to Martin State Park in Baltimore in June .. time to start saving

Fifi - B29 pricing Copy paste this entire URL below

http://www.airpowersquadron.org/#!b-29-superfortress/c11zx

The rest of the planes they say will be here June 3 - 5, 2013

http://www.airpowersquadron.org/#!baltimore-md/cleg

have no prices as of yet, so they probably won't be here ......... I didn't see them last year either ..



Tim Ashton
Registered: Dec 27, 2006
Total Posts: 3067
Country: Australia

Leviathor wrote:
Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Wrei wrote:
The only cure for (being politically correct here, which is not my nature, just trying to be nice and I don't want to blame only men) for "human" made global climate change is to eliminate the human. Since we are not willing to go back to pre-fire cave man days on our own, any human activity, including manufacturing EV's contributes to human global warming.


I'm much more optimistic. And I do think we need to make some hard choices, but certainly I agree with Jim that no one will, nor should, have to go back to the dark ages. Over the years, for example, I have come to favor nuclear energy and especially research into its improvement. In an ideal world, I'd prefer other energy sources. But in a world where roughly half the electricity comes from coal (anyone seen images from Beijing recently?), I'll take nuclear all day long if it means getting away from coal.


Every bit of nuclear waste that humans have produced is still in existence today, and every bit that's in existence will exist until the sun dies.

Yes, there are ways to make nuclear power "safer" and "cleaner," but contingencies toward catastrophic failure will never be implemented. Then there's the non-issue issue of breeder reactors that would drastically lower the environmental footprint on how nuclear power is sustained. Ugh.

As I said before, not only do I believe that we can do better, but also that we can do better (make more money, have better quality of life) while doing so. Less coal does not just impact climate change, for example: it directly affects human respiratory health and everyone's economics in healthcare.

Whoever leads the world in sustainable (or at least increasingly more sustainable) products and energy will be minting money throughout the 21st century, selling those products and energy to everyone else. The increasing demand is certainly there.

I'll shut up now... don't want to take us too far off-topic and I've surely expressed my opinion.


We all must do better. More development into wind and solar are the first steps, and they'll take us a long way. Just recently one wind farm in California produced more power than California's combined nuclear output.

Getting renewable energy onto the road will help stave off the impending death of the fertilizer industry (we use phenomenally more fossil fuel now to produce the same amount of fertilizer as we did in 1940--bad, BAD news on many levels). Tidal generators and Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion are a couple more renewable solutions.

Must. Do. Better.

MUST DO BETTER
Yeah, I'll second that
Thorium powered molten salt might be the answer for base load with further development and hot rock downunder has potential but the one that staggers me is Germany where they expect all domestic requirements can/will be met by solar by 2020.

They are already on the way and all they do is buy excess power from homeowners with solar panels by day which is fed into the grid for industry. Homeowners win, the environment wins and they are doing this in a country where the sun dont shine; relatively speaking to the USA and Australia

Can be done, and as Leviathor says, the country that builds these new technologies will win. USA anybody??

Tim



dehowie
Registered: Oct 22, 2004
Total Posts: 996
Country: Australia

Higuys thanks yes is nice to have time to shoot and then get into images.
Hey Mark i use a Manfrotto agic arm mounted on the jumpseat.
Works really well quite rigid.
The Airbus A-320 has quite a bit of vibration with flap out and i still get a good number of keepers.
Highly recommended for this sort of thing.
Cheers







JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16105
Country: United States

Those are wonderful Dazz! Now you need to get another one of those beauties that you capture with a whopping lightning display going on in the distance.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16105
Country: United States

I was on my way to fly an aerial this morning and as I pulled out of the neighborhood a black Tesla S with the Texas plate "Tesla V" Nice looking ride for sure. I couldn't hear "the quiet" cuz I was driving JR's 2.5 ton Ram diesel pick up, kind of the other end of the spectrum.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16105
Country: United States

Initial test of the Kenyon 4x4, (100% electric mind you) were positive. Winds were 25/35G40 today. A Kenyon slogan might be "When it absolutely must be shot today, better screw a Kenyon to it!" Didn't do any video, that will come Tuesday, along with a dusk aerial of KTKI with the lights cranked up, both will be acid tests.



1       2       3              3687      
3688
       3689              4309       4310       end