Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3686

1       2       3              3686      
       3688              4243       4244       end

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4369

@ Rodolfo, regarding Jim's project: It's precisely the lack of aviation and the challenge of something really different that appeals to me!

TOPP:

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3184

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Took both the math and chemistry finals today (May 2nd), and the chemistry final was graded quickly and results posted. I guess my brain isn't as rusty as I thought it was... I got a 90 on it! My average for the class is 88.9, so close to an A I can smell it... My psych class average is 89.65, even closer to that elusive A...

What makes this all special is that May 2nd last year is the day his brain tumors showed themselves and turned my world upside down.

Gosh, Laura, that's a lot of stuff attached to one date. And way to show those college kids a thing or two about lifelong learning.

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 719

Wonderful Laura just wonderful.

Tim Ashton
Total Posts: 3049

See next

T

Tim Ashton
Total Posts: 3049

DanNehmer wrote:
Started writing a letter today.

"Dear Al,

Please explain to me again your theories on this global warming thing. I dearly want to better understand, cause as you can see from the attached pictures today, May 2, 2013 from central Iowa there is certainly something I don't understand. This certainly can't be snow in May, not with all this warming going on.

Sincerely,
A fan that wants to believe spring is coming"

Yes, we have snow in central Iowa, and a friend up in Owatana has 18 inches of the white stuff. This is just crazy!

Dan

Suffice to say local weather mightnt be the total indicator

May 1 in Sydney was 84 but think about this

Pakistan is expecting a record year for rice production because of the record high temps in the Himalayas is causing record snow.glacial melt, hence more more water for irrigation

Temperature trends down under are up and up and I note your Arctic ice melt was yet another record

The world is more than your backyard

Tim

Wrei
Total Posts: 2178

Heading out to work at the Central Texas Air Show. We have to finish putting up fences, walkways, and setting up the seating areas. Looks like great weather for a great show!

edit: It was fun working in 48 and 40 mph winds yesterday!

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 15897

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Took both the math and chemistry finals today (May 2nd), and the chemistry final was graded quickly and results posted. I guess my brain isn't as rusty as I thought it was... I got a 90 on it! My average for the class is 88.9, so close to an A I can smell it... My psych class average is 89.65, even closer to that elusive A...

What makes this all special is that May 2nd last year is the day his brain tumors showed themselves and turned my world upside down.

Congratulations Laura! You are an inspiring example of character and determination. A lot of people never bounce back from the tragic set of circumstances you endured, I don't know if I could. God Bless you! Those grades look like "A's" to me!!

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 15897

If Global Warming is such a certainty, why did one of the leading universities in the cause, and it's scientists feel the necessity to falsify reams of data to support it's existence. I am not saying it does or does not exist. Seems to me that "climate change" is what climate does, and while climate is bigger than Kansas, the history of "climate is also bigger than 20 or 30 years, and it has had many trends over the last couple of million years. Certainly we should be good stewards of the environment God has blessed us with, and in many areas we are not living up to that, but a logical, rational approach that doesn't propel us into a very expensive version of the dark ages might make sense. The mandated "curly" light bulbs are a great example, as are the (albeit more benign) mandated water saving potties ...that need to be flushed multiple times! They save a lot of electricity, but there's that thing about having to call a hazmat team when you drop one at home, and where are they being disposed of/with what environmental effect?

But, once again, this is all part and parcel of left/right politics, which is becoming more and more polarized (if that's even possible) and reason has nothing at all to do with either belief system at their extremes. Power, greed and hubris are present in large quantities in the top levels of the right and the left, the proponents of each are just willing to turn a blind eye to their parties versions of it in pursuit of their particular agenda. Twas forever thus and, unfortunately it will likely forever be.

I hope that is enough of an egalitarian assessment to keep me out of the dog house, don't know how anyone could argue differently, unless they want to falsify evidence and rewrite history.......and who would ever do a thing like that?!

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9696

NightOwl Cat wrote:

Attagirl.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1479

More road trip fun again...there's not much snow left up here...but I saw some and welllllll, since it's a jeep I had to go drive in to it.

I found snow by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Rodolfo Paiz

This long post is about my views on climate change. Feel free to skip everything below the line... it's not intended to respond to Jim or anyone else: I encourage everyone to question all the evidence and make up their own mind. This is just a couple of comments I want to make on the subject, based on my own beliefs and convictions after years of reading everything I can get my hands on about the issue (both for and against).

The only thing that I want to keep above the line, so that hopefully everyone reads it, is this: the conversation about climate change must be science-based. Our individual biases, political or otherwise, should enter the conversation when we discuss responses to it... but the science of what is or is not happening, and what is or is not causing, should be kept as objective, data-driven, and free from bias as possible. I've seen flat-out lies and forgeries from people on all sides of this issue, and all that says to me is that there are liars among us, and people who will sacrifice integrity for fame, fortune, or power... it does not change the issue nor should it influence us. Discard those who are known to lie, and look for better evidence.

--------------

Now for the long part...

From everything I see, 99.99% of the scientific community worldwide agrees that climate change is real and is happening right now. Having some tiny number of people genuinely convinced of the opposite view does not constitute a "real debate" IMHO. Yes, there is a small number of scientists whose research leads them to believe that humans are not able to influence climate change. I think they're wrong. Or, if you want to look at it a different way, I'd say that this means we have a 99.99% probability of "yes" and a 0.01% probability of "no". Same thing, really.

I am utterly and completely convinced that human-influenced climate change is absolutely real and already happening. (Is that definitive enough? ) The natural cycles of Earth's climate may also be a factor... but are we humans changing our climate's equilibrium? You bet... I'll put every dollar I have on that bet. We are pushing the Earth away from the equilibrium point, and the next equilibrium point will be significantly warmer because the preponderance of what we're doing to the climate pushes toward hotter temperatures.

But the fact that we're pushing toward a hotter equilibrium does not mean everything will get steadily warmer. Any natural system of discrete variables "wobbles" when pushed away from equilibrium: you get some warmer instances and some colder instances, but most importantly you get more frequent cases of extreme weather and gradually greater deviations from the mean as the system "wobbles" more and more unsteadily. Throughout this wobbling, the average (mean) temperature will gradually get warmer, but not by much. That's where we are today and where we'll likely be for the entire 21st century.

And therein lies the problem: some day, who knows when, the system will -- not might, will wobble a bit too far to come back, and then it'll tip over and find itself a new point of equilibrium. At that point, things are going to get really bad for us. The Earth will survive... but we may not. And until we reach that tipping point, maybe in 2100 or 2200 but maybe also in 2050, there will be no burning bush nor fiery skies to herald imminent danger.

We must change. We must. Or our grandchildren will pay a very heavy price for our negligence and greed. We are gambling with the survival of our species and I do not want to make that bet.

We must change. However, that change need not be a negative. As more and more people come to realize that this is all true and is really happening, the world will both need and want better solutions. Someone will develop new technologies to give us great quality of life without harming the planet... and we can be that someone. Light bulbs have gone from incandescent to halogen to CFL (not a great technology IMHO) to LED. A 100W bulb wastes 95% of its electricity as heat. A 10W LED lamp gives off the same amount of light, but no heat. My Tesla runs neck-and-neck with a BMW M5, but is 700% more energy-efficient. 54 mpg standards by 2025? Bah... I've got 100 mpg-e in 2013. We can do better, and we can make money doing better.

I repeat: there is no reason for "greater environmental responsibility" to mean significantly greater costs, or reduced quality of life, or anything like that. No dark ages... far from it, let us move to a new Enlightenment!

People keep asking me: what if I'm wrong? Well, if I'm wrong, the only bad thing to happen is that we'll spend a little more money in the short term favoring the introduction of new technologies that produce energy and products with less pollution, and new technologies that allow us to enjoy the same lives we already lead with less consumption and (again) less pollution. Nothing bad will happen if we work for conservation, for clean energy, and against pollution, but very, very bad things will happen if we don't.

Lastly, let me flip the question around, if you're still reading this and you happen to be convinced that the climate won't change. If you're 99% confident that the climate won't change, and there's only a 1% chance that you're wrong... are you willing to take that chance?

I'm not.

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1580

Is anyone in the UK thinking of going to the Shuttleworth Evening Display tomorrow? I really want to see the pre-Great War aircraft but the wind is forecast at 10-12mph which, I think, means they might not be able to fly!
Niall

Rodolfo Paiz

Rolf is in swimming lessons: first goal, survival. Yesterday was his first "trial by fire" as he got thrown in with his clothes on, and had a series of tasks to accomplish in all those layers. He did just fine... but here's how he looked when the whole thing started...

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7553

Thanks Steve, wish employers realized that us "old folks" can not only do the job but learn new things too.

Thanks Nick!

Thanks Jim, it's been a tough slog through this last year. For me, I think it's more that I can't feel sorry for myself cause I know someone out there has it rougher than me. I at least still have the house and the cars to get around with, good friends for support, and evidently the gray matter works somewhat well too We'll see if the professors bump those two up or not with them being so close. Onwards to Anatomy and Physiology. Also taking some "me" classes during the summer, a photo class working in B&W film and darkroom processing, Yoga, and Tai Chi.

Thanks Rodolfo! Love the shot of Rolf going in the water, you caught that one foot splash just right.

Steve, that Jeep photo reminds me of the one year we'd had quite a bit of snow, and at the mall, there was this HUGE pile of snow that the plows had left when clearing the parking spots. Someone in their four wheel drive Jeep decided that since the rest of the snow had melted away, that pile of snow was too good to pass up, and started driving up. They got stuck, and had to call a tow truck to get them out

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7553

The dash of the Tilt Rotor

Rodolfo Paiz

Steve, I love both the Jeep and the train photos... but the train image speaks to me.

Razor17
Total Posts: 299

FlyingPhotog wrote:
@ Rodolfo, regarding Jim's project: It's precisely the lack of aviation and the challenge of something really different that appeals to me!

TOPP:

I really like the posters Jay and look forward to seeing your pictures from Chino this weekend...

Lynn

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3184

NightOwl Cat wrote:
The dash of the Tilt Rotor

Is that akin to the clash of the Titans?

astrobrian
Total Posts: 821

A quick one from Central Texas Air Show

Slug69
Total Posts: 1070

For those of you who might still believe humans don't have an impact on global warming.

Take a look at NASA's website and in particular have a look at the picture laid out of earth at night then ask yourself the same question.

Nasa earth at night series page

1       2       3              3686      
       3688              4243       4244       end