Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3498

Looking cool Jay

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4369

Thanks J-A

went
Total Posts: 1672

Jayyyyyyyyy, damn, I think you must have a series of amazing prop blur images that with the help of photo shop that you have found a way to apply them to the incredible series of aircraft that hang behind your photo rig in the sky. it seems that your'e sitting on top of Mt Everest while the rest of us are still wandering around in the foot hills.

went

WW1 cleared for take off

went

didn't realise these magnificent wonders could make music

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4369

Thanks very much.

That's an outstanding sequence on that mass scramble! Bet it does sound like mechanical harmony!

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 15895

Very cool Jay!

Nice work Al! Not many folks can lay claim to a historic series like that! Great backdrop!!

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

cute .. went by Dakota Kid when I was in the service ..

pfnskyshots
Total Posts: 909

Hey Jim - just wanted to throw my $0.05 in here...HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!!!

And congratulations on the exciting assignments coming up for you this year!

-Rich

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Rich! I was thinking about you yesterday and had planned on searching you out to see how you're doing. What's going on in your corner of the world?

JWilsonphoto

In the rush that seems to be my normal schedule, I don't think I mentioned this. Hasselblad has come on board as an ISAP sponsor so they'll be attending ISAP 2013. They will give a presentation, have gear there to play with, and technical/marketing people to assist anyone who is interested. They are also going to be joining the air to air activities. I shudder to think what Steve, Jay, and Jeff might capture with a 60 megapixel/Zeiss equipped Swedish box! Should be interesting at the very least. Sheila is even more glad I'm too booked to attend, knowing my long time affection for Blad gear.

pfnskyshots
Total Posts: 909

Been unemployed and job searching for over a year now. Not easy finding a job in the current sequestration climate when the government and nearly all the contractors are shedding jobs and not hiring. Not hurting $$ wise with my military retirement (at least I can pay all my bills) but sure don't have any spare cash either. I have a broke plane that isn't getting fixed right now (need new cylinder and both flap roller brackets replaced).

This is giving me to chance to take care of some little home maintenance stuff though like replacing about 600+ sq ft of carpet with tile, general clean up and selling stuff we've been keeping too long. So I'm staying busy.

Thanks for asking.

Keeping things aviation here, my new neighbor is part of the Red Thunder airshow team and they were flying off some rust here a couple of weeks ago in advance of the upcoming airshow season. So with that in mind, I offer a special "Jim Wilson" shot:

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3177

JWilsonphoto wrote:
In the rush that seems to be my normal schedule, I don't think I mentioned this. Hasselblad has come on board as an ISAP sponsor so they'll be attending ISAP 2013. They will give a presentation, have gear there to play with, and technical/marketing people to assist anyone who is interested. They are also going to be joining the air to air activities. I shudder to think what Steve, Jay, and Jeff might capture with a 60 megapixel/Zeiss equipped Swedish box! Should be interesting at the very least. Sheila is even more glad I'm too booked to attend, knowing my long time affection for Blad gear.

Hmmm...

...since I'm the lucky guy who grabbed the back seat of the T-6 before anyone else got their ducks in a row (I'm looking at you, Jay), maybe I can convince the Hasselblad people to give me a loaner for the day.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Oh yeah, and I found this neat parking space that is pretty much always vacant. I figured that there's not a Tesla closer than Miami or Colorado and I'm pretty sure my Landcruiser has electricity in it.........................

I'll take a stab at this before Rodolfo jumps in.

If that parking space is just an ordinary space with a 'electric vehicles only' sign, I'd only be mildly annoyed to find it "ICE'd" (that's what we electric car owners call it when an internal combustion engine vehicle parks in a spot designated for EV's) because I see no particular reason why EV's should be favored when it comes to parking. If they are favored, it's because the local political jurisdiction (or the lot's owner) wants to promote EV's.

If, however, a designated EV parking space is outfitted with a charging station, then it's a whole different thing. Blocking an EV charging station with a non-EV means that when an EV driver arrives needing a 'fill-up' to continue a trip, they're just SOL until the ICE driver shows up and moves. In the current state of the EV charging infrastructure, it's as if you were crossing west Texas in your Land Cruiser and the only gas pump in 50 miles was blocked by a phalanx of 5th-wheel trailers, with no one in sight: that gas pump is a scarce resource blocked by stuff that can't benefit from the resource.

Put another way, handicap spots are usually empty, too. It would make more sense to put charging points way out at the edges of parking lots, where the spots are less likely to be tempting to uncaring ICE drivers; but the reality is it's a lot less expensive to install chargers close to where electrical service already exists, and that usually means EV charging spots are located close in to the facility that's providing them, and thus they're typically adjacent to some primo parking spots.

There's an emerging etiquette among EV drivers about sharing public charging points (it's just as annoying to find a Nissan Leaf parked in an EV-only spot when they're not even plugged in, as it is to be ICE'd). I carry a sign to put on the dashboard when I'm charging at a public charge point that includes my cell phone number and a place to write in the time I'll be finished charging.

By the way, there's at least one Tesla Model S in McKinnie and Texas is one of Tesla's biggest markets, the auto dealer lobby's efforts to hobble Tesla's sales efforts notwithstanding.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2892

Hi Steve:
Cool word Phalanx - I had to look it up. I've seen at least 2 model S's in Austin lately - pretty dang sweet looking!

Glenn

stevezzzz

Baseball Weather

It is May 1st, right?

This is supposed to go on all day.

stevezzzz

@Jay: Love, love, loving the poster series.

@Went: I've got to get me to Omaka one of these years. Wanaka had a handful of these replicas, but nothing like the phalanx (right, Glenn?) in your terrific sequence. And could the weather have been any better?

@pnfskyshots: sorry to hear about your employment woes; hang in there. Any particular reason your subject chose to buzz the runway lights when you were standing near the centerline? Cool shot, but it would have been even better without the houses as the main feature of the background.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2357

I've seen dually trucks parked in the EV charging spots outside Whole Foods, too... and it's not like WF is short on parking spaces. *rolls eyes*

Wrei
Total Posts: 2177

I would think in Texas most people would guess EV=Extended-cab Vehicles.

(But then, we're not really ones who like rules...)

1       2       3              3681      
       3683              4242       4243       end