Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3681

1       2       3              3681      
       3683              4529       4530       end

Alpha_Geist
Total Posts: 802

Jeff W. wrote:
OV-10-D Bronco resting quietly on the ramp at KIWA.

Great shot! I see a Bronco flying overhead almost every week at work since McClellan Field (AFB from 1935-2001) is just a jump skip and a hop away.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Jeff, I'm loving the OV-10 series. What's the history of those airframes? That last photo, in particular: everything except the trailing-link nose gear looks brand new: perfect paint and plexi, smooth skins, etc. The nose gear, OTOH, looks like it's survived some really harsh runway environments.

viczig
Total Posts: 2385

Good news for New Englanders the Blue Angels have added the Rhode Island Airshow May 17 & 18 to their schedule.

http://www.riairshow.org/performers.html

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3829

Jeff - the last image rocks! I continue to be amazed by your images clarity and sharpness. Did you take the trip to Vegas as well?

Glenn

stevezzzz

yipDog wrote:
Here's a few from Coolidge this past Sat...

Nice set, yipDog. That Hispano HA-200 is one odd-looking beast.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

Thanks all for the generous and supportive comments regarding my OV-10 images. It was a terrific opportunity and I was happy with the results.

@Steve: I don't have the background on these airframes, but the two shooters I was with are Bronco fanatics and I've asked them for some background. I will share a little later. These two OV-10's were recently painted and the OV-10-D just received upgraded engines. The pilot told me he hit 260 knots on the trip from California

@Glenn: I believe there are 5 or 6 of the AzAP crew at Red Flag - I was not able to attend. I look forward to their images - especially Jay's. Regarding the clarity and sharpness of my images, that is why I pestered Zim to sell me his 5D3 - it has a boat load of magic pixels inside

Whoops - Edit for TOPP…….

mikegeng
Total Posts: 336

Wrei and Glenn, thanks for the comments on my post. Jim doesn't know this, but a day after we were together my dad called and let me know my 94 year old grandmother had passed while I was in Dallas (she had a wonderful full life and still kept her own household), so I had to fly to Europe right after my trip to DFW.

Sorry, been away again for a bit and getting caught up again. I must say, the photography on this thread from everyone is stunning. I recently bumped into another aviation shooter in Atlanta at a copyright talk at an ASMP meeting (John Slemp). I'd like to shoot more aviation this year, and am working on plans for Oshkosh and maybe even Sun n' Fun IF my calendar allows.

SteveZ, a friend of mine just bought a Tesla S as well and is taking delivery in 2 weeks and was at the other end of the Coast to Coast event a week ago. We are talking of taking the Tesla to Oshkosh. Will see if it comes together.

Jim, again, thank you for the gracious hospitality a few weeks ago.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19252

Dear Mike,

Sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing. I enjoyed our time together as well, thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you again soon.

JW

Jeff W.

stevez wrote:
Jeff, I'm loving the OV-10 series. What's the history of those airframes? That last photo, in particular: everything except the trailing-link nose gear looks brand new: perfect paint and plexi, smooth skins, etc. The nose gear, OTOH, looks like it's survived some really harsh runway environments.

Here you go Zim - from a fellow AzAP shooter.

"The three bladed Bronco (OV-10A BuNo 155428) most likely flew with VMO-2 out of Camp Pendleton most of its career. Likely that it served in Vietnam out of Marble Mountain near Da Nang. Once retired in the early nineties it was tucked away at AMARC/MASDC for a while before being pulled out and handed over to the California Department of Forestry (CDF) now Calfire.

The four-bladed Bronco (BuNo 155502) (Calfire 505) was built as an OV-10A as they all were (US Marines and Air Force) with the three bladed props. Early on it was with VMO-8 (USMC reserve squadron) which started out a Selfridge AFB in MI and later moved to Los Alamitos CA. At some point around 1980 a batch of about 18 were converted to OV-10D configuration with uprated engines, wider chord but still three-bladed props, and an extended nose that had a FLIR (forward looking infra-red) unit much like a Cobra or Apache. This was for detecting and marking targets with a laser. The system was referred to as NOGS (night observation gunship system). Originally the system was supposed to include a turret under the belly housing a 20mm gatling gun. Two prototypes and one actual D model had the turret but it was never funded. The prototypes were tested in Vietnam.

There was another batch of conversions later that upgraded the D models further and also brought a bunch of A models up to the same standard. 155502 might have been in the second batch. 155502 may have flown with VMO-4 or VMO-1 in its later years. Maybe VMO-4 (Atlanta, GA). Possibly both. After retirement it was pulled from storage and modified for the DOS for spraying Cocaine crops in Colombia. Marsh Aviation (Mesa, AZ) further upgraded it with the four bladed props and some other significant upgrades. After that it went to Calfire who removed the long nose and basically rebuilt it with new avionics, no ejections seats, weapons systems, etc. That aircraft is unique in that it has the large engines of a D and the four-bladed props from the Marsh conversion but has the short original nose of an A. Basically it's a hot rod"

yipDog
Total Posts: 148

Should have seen what it did when they shut the engines down! Fire department guys started running to it as the cloud of smoke engulfed the whole plane! Apparently it's the norm and no intervention was needed. The pic I posted was about 20 min after the smoke bomb and you can still see a bit swirling around in the intake!

stevez wrote:
yipDog wrote:
Here's a few from Coolidge this past Sat...

Nice set, yipDog. That Hispano HA-200 is one odd-looking beast.

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

Interesting little fact about the Hispano is that Willy Messerschmitt designed it...yes that Willy Messerschmitt of Bf109 fame.

We hope to add an OV-10 to the collection in Houston if NASA will ever stop flying theirs. She has documented combat history over the trail with the USAF. They are very cool little airplanes. The trailing link gear was designed for extremely rugged operations and there is even one story of crews not knocking the mud off of airframes in Vietnam until it became an aerodynamic deficiency.

Here are two cool OV-10 video links:

The first shows the rough field capabilities with the prototype

And this is Hoover doing a demo in one

ifxbonz
Total Posts: 1880

OV 10 from 2007
I believe the OV-10 also served as a target towing air ship. Behind the second seat there is a cargo area that would hold a large cable winching system. This Ov-10 rear cargo area was converted to an air to air flag ship with a removable aft door for a photographer.

on roll out.

Andy

futurshox
Total Posts: 2775

You just made a lot of people around here suddenly that much more interested in the OV-10 ;-)

Jeff W.

Ryan & Andy - very cool stuff on the OV-10. Thanks for sharing. Using the Bronco as a platform for A2A would certainly be a unique and interesting ride - especially in the isolated position shown in Andy's photos. As folks my age used to say; "that looks like an E-ticket ride"

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

Sweet shot, Jeff.

ELinder
Total Posts: 1069

Interesting tour of an SR-71 cockpit from a former pilot.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=674_1391299493

Erich

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4118

My neighbor was a Bronco pilot in the Marine Corp. We was a pilot that started flying prop planes and went to jets in his military history. The storys of the Panama crap and stuff were pretty intersting. He was one of the first pilots to eject out of a Bronco and survive, after finding out from him what was killing all the other pilots they were able to fix the ejection system so pilots wouldn't die when they had to eject.

stevezzzz

Wow, that's interesting, Bill. Did you learn what it was that was killing the pilots who ejected?

stevezzzz

In unrelated news, the ship carrying my new Pipistrel docked in Houston overnight. It's getting close...

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4118

stevez wrote:
Wow, that's interesting, Bill. Did you learn what it was that was killing the pilots who ejected?

Something to do with the way the canopy would jettison off, best I can remember.
Ps...Bet your way excited...I would be too. Can't find sh*t for anyone to go flying with anymore, all my pilots are mia, .

1       2       3              3681      
       3683              4529       4530       end