Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3678

1       2       3              3678      
       3680              4531       4532       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Adding to the full-disk tutorial:

1. Radial engines turn slower than other engines, whether piston or turbine.
2. The more prop blades, the easier it is to get a full disk (T-6 engines swing only a two-blade prop, while a P-47 engine, which turns at similar rpm's, has a four-blade prop).
3. Takeoff is easier than landing or a photo pass (because engine rpm is higher).
4. Shooting with the sun behind you (or at least on your side of the subject) makes the prop disk more visible; c.f. Glenn's splendid example at the top of this page.
5. If you want a full disk of a helicopter's rotor, better start at 1/15 sec and work down from there. Oh, and see #2, above.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19267

And there you have an example of the best of the best in this neighborhood, posting the ultimate challenge full disc.

Does my dusk shot of the Encore Wire manufacturing facility, at 1/8th and 1/15th air to ground set any records? I don't believe that I have ever shot slower than that in that situation. Keeper rate dropped precipitously, but there were keepers, ones that went to 24 x 30" and now hang in the lobby.

JWilsonphoto

Shooting a home today. Almost blew it off because of the overcast and gloom and doom forecast. Turns out the light is perfect for interiors and I already have five in the can. You just never know.

Eddie Ray, sometime you should come up and spend the day with me when I'm shooting this kind of stuff. I know you love shooting your beautiful new home, you could probably teach me something.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

I don't think you want to learn any bad habits!

We are in the process of working with the project manager I hired to begin Phase II, the final addition to the farm house. Work will probably begin late this month or March. Susan and I are very excited to have it completed.

JWilsonphoto

That is exciting Wrei! I look forward to seeing the progress.

A comfortable study on a cold North Texas day..................

JWilsonphoto

If Sheila and I ever do change addresses, these folks will probably build the new one..............

JWilsonphoto

It's all about "The Familia".....................

JWilsonphoto

They built the home we are in, seventeen years ago.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

Full disc is fine for air to air. Ground to air, for me, I want something I can use that is sharp. 1/125 to 1/250, or 1/320 for aero acts or F1's which spin the crap out of their props. I would hate to spend 10 days in Reno trying to shoot full discs. All I would have is a bunch of junk.

1/160 here.

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

Sweet shot, Tim.

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

Beautiful interiors as well, Jim.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Tim Adams wrote:
Full disc is fine for air to air. Ground to air, for me, I want something I can use that is sharp. 1/125 to 1/250, or 1/320 for aero acts or F1's which spin the crap out of their props. I would hate to spend 10 days in Reno trying to shoot full discs. All I would have is a bunch of junk.

1/160 here.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Beautiful Jim, awesome interiors!

Alpha_Geist
Total Posts: 802

Those are some excellent examples guys! I haven't had a chance to try helicopters, but I think I know how that will end up...in frustration. Haha!

I'm bookmarking all of these full prop spin highlights for the next air show.

Tim, was that taken at the (recent?) Reno air races? Such a sleek profile of that racer in that photo. Fantastic!

david russell
Total Posts: 754

Helicopters? Just use the surrounding mist to give you that soft focus look.

1/40th with a six blade main rotor...I don't know what it would take to get a full rotor on these...but some quick math tells me about 1/15th or so.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Those are some excellent examples guys! I haven't had a chance to try helicopters, but I think I know how that will end up...in frustration. Haha!

I'm bookmarking all of these full prop spin highlights for the next air show.

Tim, was that taken at the (recent?) Reno air races? Such a sleek profile of that racer in that photo. Fantastic!

Yes it was this past year. It was the first test flight after they had blown the canopy to bits early in the week.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4094

Arty Farty Mustang

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

There is a DC-7 on the ramp at Coolidge, AZ that's being restored to airworthy condition and I managed to squeeze out a few angles during the February breakfast fly in...

12-shot stitched pano:

100% Crop from pano (it's got a little detail to it)

Remnants of the aft lounge:

Panel up front:

"1 of 4"

Word is she may fly by the fall...

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

stevez wrote:
Adding to the full-disk tutorial:

1. Radial engines turn slower than other engines, whether piston or turbine.
2. The more prop blades, the easier it is to get a full disk (T-6 engines swing only a two-blade prop, while a P-47 engine, which turns at similar rpm's, has a four-blade prop).
3. Takeoff is easier than landing or a photo pass (because engine rpm is higher).
4. Shooting with the sun behind you (or at least on your side of the subject) makes the prop disk more visible; c.f. Glenn's splendid example at the top of this page.
5. If you want a full disk of a helicopter's rotor, better start at 1/15 sec and work down from there. Oh, and see #2, above.

I would throw a caveat on #1 regarding radials: Gear Reduction or Direct Drive?

JWilsonphoto

Wow! That's a project!

1       2       3              3678      
       3680              4531       4532       end