Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3674

1       2       3              3674      
       3676              4533       4534       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

FM's review of the Sony A7r with the same 36 MP sensor we've come to know and love on the D800. And you can adapt your Canon glass to it, too. Probably not useful for air show and sports (though I don't really know that, just guessing), but hell on wheels for landscapes and studio work.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/A7R-review/

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Steve, I read that earlier with excitement because I have been considering a D800 purchase this year. However, I became a bit confused with the review and comments when they discussed the issues with the adapter. Maybe I am just too dense to understand.

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2455

A while since I have posted and I've been going through some old images and came across a few that would stand posting
Niall

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

CHESTER and "THE BOSS"

Another image from the EOR at Luke.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19270

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Apologies for my absence. Apparently slowing down is not in the cards, but ramping it up is. I've been on a very clandestine assignment for a technology partner of the DOD's, unfortunately no more info or images on that subject They even registered the serial numbers of my cameras, tighter security than when I shoot for the President. Anyway, new client with huge upside potential. Still pre-dawn to late evenings, back to back on other, less sensitive assignments.

JR blasted off a few days ago to finalize several very large projects in the Caribbean. He hugged me, said goodbye and told me that this would most likely be the last commercial airline travel any of us would have to subject ourselves to. I love the way that Boy thinks! I have a trip to NAS Jacksonville, and Eglin AFB in a week or so that will most likely be on a tube however.

I'm spending a day next week with Phase One. They have a new product, the IQ250 that they think might be a perfect fit, big capture, extremely low noise. I don't know what they have in mind, but maybe I'll bring the system to the ISAP Symposium and we'll wring it out. I have a hunch it'll be like the first time I put a strip of Hasselblad transparencies on a light box, there was no turning back. A number of our upcoming projects have a photographic component to them, I'm thinking aerials with a Phase One would be pretty startling. I hear that I have the inside track to doing that work We have several projects spooling up in Africa in the near future as well, the timing might just be perfect, seems like these opportunities deserve Phase One quality.

More as I know more. Beautiful work, as usual. Jay that Mustang image is beyond incredible. You can even make a Camry look striking, wonder what we could do with an Aston in the Superstitions, or The Canyon.................? Jeff, "Wow!"

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4096

Question for all I want a bag or case for my photo-stuff preferably it would even fit in a 737 overhead luggage bin.
Maybe a case is better i always could take my backpack with me in my suitcase.
It would have to fit the following.

2 body's my 1D2 and 1D4
300 2.8
100-400
24-105
1.4 ext
2.0 ext
and battery's

Any suggestions.
I ask because last time my back pack wouldn't fit the overhead luggage bin and i had to take the body and 100-400 out and hold it on my lap..

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

JA -

Think Tank Airport Commuter or Airport International roller case.
I have both & have carried the following gear on 737 & A320 sized aircraft:

1DIV, 300 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 24-105, 17-40, 1.4x, 2x, 430ex, gopro hero 3, fuji x100s, spare batts.
The Airport commuter also has a nice front pocket that will also take a MacBook Air and an IPad.

JWilsonphoto

Hi Jan Arie,

I love my LowePro rolling cases. I have a 200 and a 300 and I'm ordering an additional 300 because my Nikon holdings have outgrown the 200. I'm thinking that the 200 fits in the overhead, not sure that the 300 will. Very adaptable in that the center unzips and turns into a back pack. They are designed to have a laptop slip in the outside pocket, unless you cram them full like I do, then I wouldn't risk it. They're reasonably priced, seem very durable.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

One other thing JA, European airline carry on size restrictions are usually a bit smaller than US carry on size restrictions.

JWilsonphoto

Phase One just sent me a note. Phase One IQ 250's are due in by 2/25 for some big Phase One marketing event. I might run over and get familiar with their other products prior to the event, but I think the 250 is probably the back that is best suited to my work.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4096

Thanks guys for the quick reply will look in to things this weekend still have to decide if i would get a new laptop but that would stretch the budget with all things planned for this year..

JakeB17
Total Posts: 324

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I'm thinking that the 200 fits in the overhead, not sure that the 300 will.

The 300 does, but you have to rotate it 90 degrees (ie, parallel with the direction of bin, not the airline recommended direction of the handle facing into the cabin).

The 300 definitely fits a lot of gear though. For reference, here is what I typically carry in mine (though it still doesn't fit everything, ha).

3 bodies (D4, D3, D800).
70-200/2.8
24-70/2.8
17-35/2.8
35-70/2.8
24/1.4
35/1.4
50/1.4
85/1.4
3x L brackets
5x pocketwizards
8x various 77mm screw on filters (cpl, NDs, etc)
2x 4x6 grad NDs
Plus a few blackrapid straps, CF cards, cables, etc.

I've never had a problem with mine flying domestically, especially because you can always pull the fragile/expensive item card if they give you trouble. I've even used it as an excuse to board earlier to make sure mine stays directly above me, and is never out of my sight, ha.

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

Tim Adams wrote:
It would only work for statics, but it is amazing what money can buy you.

http://www.naturescapes.net/articles/opinions/the-case-for-and-against-medium-format/

Jim, did you get a chance to read this Phase One review that Tim posted a few days ago? The images are amazing, but I couldn't help but wonder if you could put up with the glitches, especially on your kind of fast-paced shoots.

Mark

JWilsonphoto

Hi Mark,

Yes, I just read it while trying to catch up here, very helpful. Thanks Tim!

I agree Mark, I think the only way to get handle on whether that system works for me, is to spend some time with it in real world situations. They have invited me to a hands on event on the 25th of February, and while I'm not a big fan of those deals because I never feel it's fair to monopolize a particular piece of equipment, I'm going to try to make it and begin to get feel for the support people and the gear. They have agreed to provide test gear for me to fly with, and that would tell me a lot in a a short time. The IQ250 is a 1.3 crop, which wouldn't bother me in some situations, but when you're dropping 40K+ I don't see myself having a 1.3 and a full frame. Especially when you think about back ups. I wouldn't feel comfortable with less than two of everything.............................um...............pretty soon you're talking real money

Some of the photographic opportunities that are on the horizon may well justify that kind of expenditure though. I'd really hate to be standing in some far flung place, a once in a lifetime spread out in front of me, and not shoot it with the most incredible equipment available. That being said, I'm not going to jump in with both feet (as I am known to do), without a substantial level of confidence in both the equipment, and the people behind it. I can't help but wince a little that Hasselblad isn't even in the running for me, makes me a little sad.

JWilsonphoto

I have been shooting a lot this week with the 60mm Nikkor Macro, and just added the 105 Macro to the arsenal. Mounted on the D800, shooting little bitty electronic things, they are dynamite! My shopping cart overfloweth at the moment with a Chimera 7' Octa, a Chimera 84" Strip Bank, and a couple of other goodies I need for an upcoming assignment. I have a Chimera 84" Strip, but the interior silver has dulled considerably over the past two decades. Still works, but lacks the "pop" it once had.

After AOPA publishes our story on the Caravan, I'll post the images showing the kind of great light Chimera banks and strips can produce, I have always loved them, and strips are so controllable that you can really achieve some dramatic effects.

With all that has been swirling around me so far this year I have found myself in more frequent prayer throughout the day. I have become more and more cognizant of what a gift it is to do something that you love every single day. Tom Horne from AOPA looked at me as we wrapped up the last shot of my 16 hour day, and said, "How are you still standing?" I smiled back at him and, very sincerely said, "It's been a great day Tom, an opportunity to do what I love, who get's to say that every day?" Sure you get tired, exhausted even, but it's the good kind of exhausted. I could just as easily be puddling concrete, or stamping out widgets, but I get to do this thing we all love so much and how great is that?

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

Good to hear from you, Shooter. You get tired and need a spear carrier, you let me know, OK?

JWilsonphoto

Hi Zim! Thanks!! I've missed being here, but succumbed to the "only so many hours in a day" syndrome. Based upon recent events, hoping for a trip to Broomfield fairly soon. I'll keep you posted.

Sitting by the fire with Charlie, kind of relieved that we're going to have winds/clouds/fog at sunrise, I've pulled the plug on a 4:30 wake up call for a dawn shot.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Good to hear your cup runneth over Jim...

We'll keep the lights on.

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Jay! Of that I have little doubt, you all are just knocking them out. What a great spot this is.

JWilsonphoto

Just got an email from P1, they don't want to wait for the IQ250 to arrive, they'd like to demo the 260 to me asap. Here's a question for the brain trust, the 250 is 1.3, probably a deal breaker, and it's 50 MP, good, but on the lower side. The 260 is 60MP, mo better but isn't low noise on higher iso's, not even really higher iso's, like 400 area. I can count the times I have bumped my iso past 160 on about three fingers. Below that apparently it is noiseless, and it's full frame.

Our WX is headed south for the next week or so (1-3 inches of white a week from tomorrow), then I'm on assignment for at least a week at an undisclosed location. I'm thinking I wait for a decent forecast, line up Scott Slocum and a cool subject and wring that baby out.

1       2       3              3674      
       3676              4533       4534       end