Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3668

1       2       3              3668      
       3670              4529       4530       end

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3832

Didnt want to post on facebook the real story, but its probably okay here - Had the very special privilege of flying chase today for a local wounded warrior flight. Short story - 2nd gulf war, wounded combat medic, surgery, hepatitis, stroke, wheelchair... with the help of lots of folks we were able to get this hero comfy in the back seat and get him the ride of his life.

Hope he likes a large framed copy because thats what he is getting!

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Had to break my cardinal rule of "full disc or its garbage" today and fall back on safety shots..gues thats why you take them!

Front blowing in 20G30, high noon, 160knots with the door off bumping and bouncing around. JW than Kenyon earned its keep today!

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

We Veterans appreciate that Glenn!

Is that the 800?

Glenn Watson

800? is that a lens joke along the 2000 zoom lens lines?

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

(too many steroids)
D800?

Glenn Watson

crap - sorry! Yes d800..

I was telling Wrei this story last weekend - sometime back a friend of mine asked me if I would get some pics of her on stage at her first bodybuilding contest. I agreed and showed up, sat in the back row with my 300/2.8 and snapped away. When it was over some meathead walks by and his eyes almost pop out of his head when he sees the lens and he yells "whoah!! is that a 2000" I said nope, just a 300mm. He got this confused look on his face and while scratching his head told me about the 500 that he had that was half that size. Guess he took too many steroids.

Glenn Watson

Break right!

Glenn

Glenn Watson

High noon wouldnt have been my first choice, but nobody thought to ask me!

Glenn

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

When life gives you lemons, Glenn...

stevezzzz

Infrared video from surveillance cameras of the Aspen crash.

Holy cow, that's a lot of tailwind. I've witnessed a number of landings over the years where the pilot attempted to touch down nose wheel first. PIO's are never pretty, but this one goes bad more rapidly than most. In this case I suspect wind shear, in the form of a *decreasing* tailwind encountered close to the ground, added 20 knots or so of airspeed at the end of an approach that was probably never stabilized to begin with. The topography at Aspen requires a relatively steep approach angle and the tailwind would have just increased the difficulty factor and reduced the time available to sort things out.

http://aspenjournalism.org/2014/01/21/aspen-airport-releases-video-of-jan-5-jet-crash/

tonyniev
Total Posts: 71

USAF Thunderbirds

tonyniev
Total Posts: 71

Two Sabres

gerov
Total Posts: 9029

Well done, Glenn!

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

Tony, nice shots and welcome to the family as well. Stick around, the flight is long, and the inflight movie lasts even longer.

Regards, Colin

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4092

Cool stuff Glenn and welcome Tony enjoy the ride.

Jan-Arie

Glenn I like the No4 Photo which one are you going to give him?

stevezzzz

Jan-Arie wrote:
Glenn I like the No4 Photo which one are you going to give him?

I like #4, too, but #1 is probably a better choice for a hero shot.

Glenn Watson

Hi Ripper:

how are you buddy? I like #4 and others best but as Steve said #1 is the choice as it has his face the clearest. With his limited flexibility we had to remove the seat pack chute for him so he was really sunk down in there and hard to see. I dont have Jay Beckman skill in photoshop but what do you think about using #4 and them super imposing a closeup of just the camopy in the corner?

Glenn

Jan-Arie

Hi Glenn I'm fine thanks, You all are right about the face didn't look at it that way but that's a strong point.
I think a close-up in the photo doesn't do the photo justice then you better stay with the first photo.

You always could ask Jay and Steve for help for editing purposes like they did with the photo of Glenn that we gave to Jim.. just an Idea..

gerov
Total Posts: 9029

Glenn,
I like the angle on No. 4, but I also like how the front windscreen framing is not obstructing the view into the cockpit in No. 1. I like your idea of superimposing the cockpit as you suggest above, but in his shoes, I'd also be very happy with the first image.

Gero

1       2       3              3668      
       3670              4529       4530       end