Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3663

1       2       3              3663      
       3665              4532       4533       end

seattlebruin
Total Posts: 389

A random question from a newbie to this... are there any legal/responsibility concerns to photographing military aircraft from outside base fences? I very close to MCAS Miramar, and would love to know if it's OK for me to go and shoot photos of the F/A-18s coming in almost every night

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

seattlebruin wrote:
A random question from a newbie to this... are there any legal/responsibility concerns to photographing military aircraft from outside base fences? I very close to MCAS Miramar, and would love to know if it's OK for me to go and shoot photos of the F/A-18s coming in almost every night

Generally Speaking (and every base has a different vibe .. Miramar is known to be a little hard-assed at times), so long as you make it abundantly obvious that you are pointing your lens AWAY from the fence and capturing landing aircraft, and you stick to locations where photographers are known to congregate, you usually won't have any issues. Be obvious and don't appear to be "slinking" around the fence line. You can "peek" on base, but avoid letting your lens linger pointed inside the fence.

It also depends on what is going on, on base. When they're in the middle of an exercise (which can often bring in out of town guests), bases tend to be a little more sensitive. Even if the local guys are used to you, Squadron CO's and such from out of town may not like having their birds photographed. It also depends on whether or not there's a regular pattern of having photographers around. Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, knows where we usually hang out and we stick to a pretty strict protocol about not lingering on the elevated spot we use. We walk up, shoot a plane or two and then walk back down below the top of the berm. Tucson International (AZ ANG Base) knows we shoot from the cargo ramp parking lot but it took a couple years before the cops said "don't bother calling ahead anymore" and a little while longer before they just stopped coming around.

Are you familiar with APSoCal? The Aviation Photographers of Southern California are a VERY active group and they have all the local knowledge you could ever want.

http://www.apsocal.com/

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

seattlebruin wrote:

Probably not, in fact I have only seen local law enforcement hassle people outside fences. The military has jurisdiction within the fence.

Come on back and post your photos, love to see 'em!

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

Seattlebruin, welcome to our favorite place on the world wide web. Hang around and enjoy the photos and the discussions. There is a lot of knowledge here, and the only way to learn is to keep coming back and seeing what is being said and what is being shown.

Regards, Colin

yipDog
Total Posts: 148

Some round cowled thingy's from Coolidge...

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19268

Sincerest apologies Colin, for my part. I have been meaning to return to those, but have been distracted by the pace of this week. I appreciate your bringing them to my attention. I'm concerned that the generation being "raised" currently might lose the ability to actually communicate on a personal level. Try as I might with my Grandchildren, it's a very difficult tide to turn. On the subject of appreciation for all who have defended this wonderful nation, I beat that drum 24/7, and will every day I breath the air they have paid for. One of the reasons I so resent what is taking place in this country, is that I consider it an abject slap in the face to every man and woman who has put it on the line for all of us, we have an obligation to them.

Thanks for your fervor, I think I might have some welcome company in the dinosaur club.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

360 degree cockpit view of Voodoo, complete with a MAP guage that goes to 150 inches.

http://www.airspacemag.com/panorama/225183382.html

Colin Giersberg

Jim, I believed that several members had probably watched the videos, but did not have the time to comment about them. I may have sounded harsh in my questioning if anyone saw them. For that, I apologize. I realize how fast this thread can move at times, and I know that we are all busy so I can see how a short sentence with a video link attached can be easily overlooked, especially since a lot of people do not like to click on a link when there is no background for what that link is about. That has been fixed. Thanks Lady Jo for telling me that I needed to tell what the videos were about. I will try to add more information about any video link that I include in my posts here and elsewhere.

Colin Giersberg

I need to time my posts better. This is the third or fourth time that I started a new page, and I have nothing picture wise that I can post. I'll have to see if I can at least post something.

Colin Giersberg

Here goes. This is Wilburn Mill, which is about 31 miles as the crow flies from our home. As the road curves, probably about 45 miles. I have no idea what this mill was used for. It does have a waterwheel, so I figure it powered some sort of machinery.
After doing a search, this is what I found out.

The Fall River Mill, located on Clear Creek in Southeastern Lawrence County, is a three story structure 36 ft. high which was erected in October 1898. In 1924 G.T. Wilburn purchased the mill where he ground both corn and wheat until 1942. Today the mill stands as a picturesque and interesting monument to a by gone era.

Colin Giersberg

One more.

Zane Adams
Total Posts: 371

Tim Adams wrote:
360 degree cockpit view of Voodoo, complete with a MAP guage that goes to 150 inches.

http://www.airspacemag.com/panorama/225183382.html

Brother Lyle does amazing things with his 360 rig. He ha quite the thing going there... For good reason. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy,
Good on him!

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

FlyingPhotog wrote:
stevez wrote:
Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, behold my modest effort to follow Jay's lead.

I had forgotten that Google sent me the full suite of Nik tools; had to go looking for it, but Analog Efex is one of them. I still don't know how to get to tool to play nicely with LR or PS; if anyone has suggestions, I'd welcome their advice.

The install routine should simply make them available under Filters in PS...

Nope. The other Nik filters are there. Except once in a while, Analog Efex does show up with the rest.

Intermittent problems are the worst.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

I know why nobody ever says F/22 and be there!

Glenn

Colin Giersberg

Geez Glenn, it looks like your image has been incorporated into the Lawrence Welk Show. Lots and lots of bubbles.

Glenn Watson

Just wait until its pitch black out to shoot - no dust spots on this one!

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Glenn

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Glenn Watson wrote:

Glenn

Two words Glenn...

Neutral Density...

yipDog
Total Posts: 148

Glenn Watson wrote:

Glenn

Feel your pain!
Looks just like my 1Dx…AFTER EVERY SHOOT! grrrrrrrrr

.6ND is my friend!

But let me also say…fantastic pics! Love the V-tail!

Glenn Watson

Good idea guys - i keep forgetting about those. I need to bite the bullet and buy that vari-ND adjustable. Im just scared that it'll find its way to a position i dont want and wont notice and screw me up and I dont want to mess with screw on filters while flying. I'll just go get a kleenex now to dry my tears..

Glenn

1       2       3              3663      
       3665              4532       4533       end