Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3663

1       2       3              3663      
3664
       3665              4381       4382       end

mmniemi
Registered: Sep 20, 2007
Total Posts: 598
Country: Finland




Mikko



mmniemi
Registered: Sep 20, 2007
Total Posts: 598
Country: Finland

Hmmmm, I never showed you this. 18mm...



Mikko



Wrei
Registered: Aug 01, 2008
Total Posts: 2258
Country: United States

Houses next door, fences, what are these places where you guys live?








FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4580
Country: United States

Thanks Mikko! You're offerings are top shelf as well!

Not sure this has quite the same range as Steve's, but...



Chris Luvara
Registered: Nov 17, 2006
Total Posts: 140
Country: United States

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Proof that you can, in fact, lead a Horse to water...



And those Horses do drink...



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4580
Country: United States

Amen...



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 3498
Country: United States

mmniemi wrote:
Hmmmm, I never showed you this. 18mm...

Mikko


I guess he just wanted you to dip the tanks to make sure he had enough fuel to continue the mission?



Go4Long
Registered: Sep 04, 2005
Total Posts: 1592
Country: Canada

All my bags are packed...I'm ready to go



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16337
Country: United States

Funny, "McMansion" depends a lot on which side of the economic fence one sits on. A few years ago I was asked to shoot a neighborhood in Houston that was designed for families moving from apartments into single family home ownership. The entry price was under 100k. The agency that sent me to do the project made a number of tongue in cheek remarks about what a great time I was going to have and that I really had my work cut out for me, ho ho. I thought about it all the way down to Houston and it was one of those times God spoke very clearly to me. The message was, "Don't let Me catch you thinking you are above shooting these homes, and don't let Me hear you joining in on any of the chiding, as a matter of fact, keep your eyes and ears open because there's a lesson in this assignment."

I arrived and began setting up in the first model. The assignment would last four days and there were six models. All were around 900 to 1,100 square feet and they were very basic. As I noted before, these were designed and priced to allow someone who had very little hope of ever getting themselves, or their family out of apartment living. I did what I do when God takes time to really speak to me, I quietly went about my work and kept my eyes and ears open. About an hour after I began lighting and shooting, a guy and his wife and their three children walked through the front door. The first thing I heard was the wife gasp at how beautiful this little home was, then the kids began running from room to room getting "dibbs" on which one would be theirs if they were lucky enough to ever have a home like this one. Somewhere in the middle of their self guided tour, I overheard the husband and wife talking about what a "dream" it would be to settle into a home like this with their kids.

Over the balance of the assignment, that scenario replayed a couple dozen times, only the faces and the number of kids changed. Humbling? You bet! The message was loud and clear and I have not forgotten it for a second. When I packed everything up and headed north at the end of the week I remembered the rest of the conversation we had on the trip down, the part about not joining in with any sarcastic remarks when I delivered the product to the agency. The account rep and designer were all tuned up to have a good old time with me about the "downscale" shoot. I began by saying, "Let me tell you what I experienced in Houston this week..........".

I like it when God speaks to me so clearly, like He did the week after Glenn was killed. It's not always easy, in fact rarely so, but it is a a faith building exercise like few others.



astrobrian
Registered: Sep 27, 2012
Total Posts: 827
Country: United States

Steve and Jay, loving that Ansel feel you guys are giving these, fits like a glove.



Go4Long
Registered: Sep 04, 2005
Total Posts: 1592
Country: Canada

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Funny, "McMansion" depends a lot on which side of the economic fence one sits on. A few years ago I was asked to shoot a neighborhood in Houston that was designed for families moving from apartments into single family home ownership. The entry price was under 100k. The agency that sent me to do the project made a number of tongue in cheek remarks about what a great time I was going to have and that I really had my work cut out for me, ho ho. I thought about it all the way down to Houston and it was one of those times God spoke very clearly to me. The message was, "Don't let Me catch you thinking you are above shooting these homes, and don't let Me hear you joining in on any of the chiding, as a matter of fact, keep your eyes and ears open because there's a lesson in this assignment."

I arrived and began setting up in the first model. The assignment would last four days and there were six models. All were around 900 to 1,100 square feet and they were very basic. As I noted before, these were designed and priced to allow someone who had very little hope of ever getting themselves, or their family out of apartment living. I did what I do when God takes time to really speak to me, I quietly went about my work and kept my eyes and ears open. About an hour after I began lighting and shooting, a guy and his wife and their three children walked through the front door. The first thing I heard was the wife gasp at how beautiful this little home was, then the kids began running from room to room getting "dibbs" on which one would be theirs if they were lucky enough to buy the home. Somewhere in the middle of their self guided tour, I overheard the husband and wife talking about what a "dream" it would be to settle into a home like this with their kids.

Over the balance of the assignment, that scenario replayed a couple dozen times, only the faces and the number of kids changed. Humbling? You bet! The message was loud and clear and I have not forgotten it for a second. When I packed everything up and headed north at the end of the week I remembered the rest of the conversation we had on the trip down, the part about not joining in with any sarcastic remarks when I delivered the product to the agency. The account rep and designer were all tuned up to have a good old time with me about the "downscale" shoot. I began by saying, "Let me tell you what I experienced in Houston this week..........".

I like it when God speaks to me so clearly, like He did the week after Glenn was killed. It's not always easy, in fact rarely so, but it is a a faith building exercise like few others.


Jim:

Great story. It's easy to forget what it's like to not have everything when you've been blessed with the opportunity (and dedication) to have it. As an aside...a starting price under $100k? gah...I wish. Calgary has the third most expensive real estate market in Canada...you can't even buy a studio apartment here for under $100k, even after the downturn.

My wife moved from her parents house in to a 600 sq ft apartment...pre construction it was in the mid $160's

It was one of the things I noticed about the Fort Worth area when I was there...that I wish I could do my job from there :P



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16337
Country: United States

Wrei wrote:
Houses next door, fences, what are these places where you guys live?









Now you're talking Wrei!


JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16337
Country: United States

Thanks Steven, true indeed. You are right about Texas real estate, lots of bang for the buck. Add our natural resources, relatively conservative leadership, no state income tax, a pervasive independent entrepreneurial spirit, and you have a wonderful environment in which to hang out a shingle, raise a family, etc.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16337
Country: United States

Looks like it's going to be next week before I am going to be able to put the KS-4x4 through it's paces. Looks like another great Kenyon product, more compact than I expected. I can hardly wait to spool it up and see what it'll do.



Wrei
Registered: Aug 01, 2008
Total Posts: 2258
Country: United States

$160k for 600 sq ft...and I almost puked for a week when I had to pay $100k for 100+ acres!

()



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16337
Country: United States

Oh man Wrei, I paid twice that for less than an acre, 14 years ago......................should I be getting nauseated?



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16337
Country: United States

And then, people had the audacity to build something on both sides of me!



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 16337
Country: United States

BTW, had a little incident with one of my Drobo S units. I got a message that the S was having a problem with one drive. With five relatively new 4TB drives, I thought a failure was unlikely. The point of this story is, called Drobo, waited about a minute before a great guy (not from Mumbai) picked up my call. Two clicks and I was sending him a diagnostic zip file generated from the Drobo menu. A few minutes later he determined that there was nothing wrong with the unit, I had moved the Drobo and something joggled a connection, the Drobo sensed it, protected my data and is now rebuilding the drive it perceived as a problem. Five minutes or less with tech help, pretty impressive.



Wrei
Registered: Aug 01, 2008
Total Posts: 2258
Country: United States

Bought it in 2005. Friends were telling me farm land was $700-800/acre. I later found out they were using numbers from 5-6 years prior. I got over it.

I look at it like this, when you sit down in your favorite chair, look around at the surroundings and the people with you, then say "this is home"...it doesn't matter how little or how much you paid, it's home, and that is priceless!



Go4Long
Registered: Sep 04, 2005
Total Posts: 1592
Country: Canada

Wrei wrote:
$160k for 600 sq ft...and I almost puked for a week when I had to pay $100k for 100+ acres!

()


Yeah, the only places in Canada that are more sickening are Vancouver and Toronto. A "starter" home in Vancouver is $800k. It's funny though, they brought in some new regulations on mortgage insurance that said that you didn't qualify for the CMHC insurance on low down payment mortgages if your house was over $1 million...that, along with a couple other economic factors have had a pretty big impact on the prices in Vancouver. Mind you, in my opinion, if you can't afford to be putting 20% down on your million dollar home, you shouldn't be buying it...

Just my opinion of course.

Our lot alone on our new house was $150k...and we only have 8 foot side yards.

I agree with your sentiments on home though...I sit in our hot tub on the deck (we back on to a park) and I can't help but be happy with it.



1       2       3              3663      
3664
       3665              4381       4382       end