Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3651

1       2       3              3651      
       3653              4285       4286       end

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16065

Oh Gerov! That's one of those magical flights where one doesn't have to climb forever to get on top and play. Great air to air conditions too! I've been waiting for a day like that one to go up with the Hero3 on the Cub and get an hour of winding through the wisps. I'll bet that air was like glass too. Nice capture.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16065

I was doing some research on the Movi10 last night, after talking with Vince Laforet. A guy commented on his Vimeo blog about the Movi not being new technology, further he said there was an identical unit being manufactured by a Chinese (what a surprise) company at a fraction of the cost. I've Googled it about six times and have found zip. Anyone know anything about it? Looks like the Movi5 will run about $7,500 decked out, and the 10 will be around $15,000. Admittedly, that is a big stack of bills either way, but the capability they demonstrate on the initial demo videos would open up new worlds in video capture.

I think they are going to make a bunch of announcements this week at some film/video venue that Vince is involved in. According to him, they are taking deposits on the 10 and it's in production, the 5 is supposed to be following in pretty short order.

I've done a dozen or so video assignments that turned out "fine", but just weren't as smooth as I would have liked. You know, that velvety smooth look you see from the gimbal mounts on LongRangers and A-Stars. If a guy could mimic that quality for the price of either Movi, I think you could amortize the investment pretty quickly. Then add what you could do with surface video capture. I can think of several clients that would go crazy over that capability. I just haven't sold it, because I haven't been convinced that I could produce the product to my standards.

Those of you heading to ISAP 2013 are in for a treat. We sought out several photographers/videographers who are heavy into the new video techniques. Should be very enjoyable, enlightening presentations. You know, the kind that got Zim and me to drop 20k on Nikon gear........

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2140

Jim,

The event Vince was at is NAB in vegas. It's some big video event similar to what we get for stills.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2961

In other news, FedEx just dropped off my D800

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4432

MMcGrath wrote:
Jim,

The event Vince was at is NAB in vegas. It's some big video event similar to what we get for stills.

NAB = National Association Of Broadcasters

Their annual clam bake in Vegas is akin to the Consumer Electronics Show + Photokina for the professional broadcasting world.

FlyingPhotog

In Other, Other News...

I'm looking for lodging for Oshkosh. Anyone interested in sharing space for the full Sunday to Sunday stretch?

gerov

Jay,
that is a jaw-dropper - the colors and textures in that landscape are fabulous.

Gero

MMcGrath

@ Steve Z - your shot of the Elks in trail is the sort of thing I see getting syndicated across news agencies in their pic of the day sections.

gerov

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Oh Gerov! That's one of those magical flights where one doesn't have to climb forever to get on top and play. Great air to air conditions too! I've been waiting for a day like that one to go up with the Hero3 on the Cub and get an hour of winding through the wisps. I'll bet that air was like glass too. Nice capture.

Thank you Jim. The flight was really nice. Can't say the same for the guide I had that day, but that's another story. I wish I'd had my Hero3 that day...

Beautiful moon shot

Gero

Leviathor
Total Posts: 192

FlyingPhotog wrote:

One of the most magnificent and compelling Powell images I've seen. Great job, Jay!

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1511

how would I go about finding out what kind of flight restrictions are in place over a national park here?

Lake Minnewanka, where I scuba dive during the summer, is a beautiful piece of scenery that I'd love to fly over...as is Morraine Lake by lake louise...I'm curious...

MMcGrath

A VFR flight map of the area you want to fly over would show any permanent restrictions, and Notams would give you details of any temporary restrictions.

FlyingPhotog

Thanks for the nice feedback on the shoreline shot... Kinda looks like Chocolate Mousse with a Bacon capper to me...

A sectional chart should have dotted lines around natural areas and / or wildlife-sensitive areas and IIRC, 1500' above is the reg.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3302

Glenn Watson wrote:
In other news, FedEx just dropped off my D800

That is good news, Glenn. You will enjoy the heck out of wringing great images from that camera. I think the D800 + 24-70 f/2.8 is a match made in heaven; just wish Nikon made a VR version of that lens, because the 36-megapixel sensor is very unforgiving when it comes to camera shake. Still, in your capable hands it's sure to produce some stunning, close-in air-to-air. Can't wait to see some.

Leviathor
Total Posts: 192

FlyingPhotog wrote:
A sectional chart should have dotted lines around natural areas and / or wildlife-sensitive areas and IIRC, 1500' above is the reg.

2000 AGL. Requested.

Go4Long wrote:
how would I go about finding out what kind of flight restrictions are in place over a national park here?

Lake Minnewanka, where I scuba dive during the summer, is a beautiful piece of scenery that I'd love to fly over...as is Morraine Lake by lake louise...I'm curious...

This it?

http://skyvector.com/?ll=51.260253411221775,-115.35882568595362&chart=301&zoom=1&plan=A.K3.KFAR:A.K5.KRNH

I'm not sure if it's complete, but it looks like there're no restrictions. Find a float plane and have fun!

gerov

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Thanks for the nice feedback on the shoreline shot... Kinda looks like Chocolate Mousse with a Bacon capper to me...

Jay,
It's common knowledge that everything is better with bacon

Gero

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3302

Not to let Jay get too far ahead of me, here's a view of the north shore of Lake Powell just a few minutes before sunset.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1511

Leviathor wrote:
FlyingPhotog wrote:

2000 AGL. Requested.

Go4Long wrote:

This it?

http://skyvector.com/?ll=51.260253411221775,-115.35882568595362&chart=301&zoom=1&plan=A.K3.KFAR:A.K5.KRNH

I'm not sure if it's complete, but it looks like there're no restrictions. Find a float plane and have fun!

That would be her yup...beautiful lake, as are most of the lakes in the mountains around here...although I'd imagine actually flying over it to be not the most pleasant thing unless the conditions were perfect. All the lakes in Banff National Park are a very bright green due to the sediment.

Razor17
Total Posts: 303

The other girls from the Banff area...

Lynn

1       2       3              3651      
       3653              4285       4286       end