3650              4531       4532       end

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Just A Typical Southwest Sunset...

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Just A Typical Southwest Sunset...

The Phoenix skyline sunset images from Sky Harbor have always been a favorite of mine. Your latest photograph is excellent as always Jay - a terrific combination of our metro/urban landscape and aviation.

Jeff W.

stevez wrote:
Exciting news: I just learned that my new Pipistrel Virus SWiS is in a container on a ship about to leave the Med for the open Atlantic. Based on what I'm seeing on the wind maps, they may want to wait a few days and/or take the southerly route with my precious cargo.

Congrats Steve. I imagine you are really starting to anticipate putting some quality hours on this new bird. Looking forward to the wonderful images you'll create from that platform.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4093

Mark I also have used Stellar-Phoenix on a crashed drive with movies and model building reference data and I had a 99% recovery success..

Jeff W.

One of America's finest getting ready to go pound the range.

ELinder
Total Posts: 1070

The only things flying around here are the flakes.

Erich

tom cardin
Total Posts: 1991

I see, you have a birdhouse tree, too. We actually had a wren check them all out, but they didn't mov in. zi guessit wasn't good enough, for them.
Tom

ELinder
Total Posts: 1070

Unfortunately some type of hawk has now included our back yard in its feeding grounds. Found the remains of another bird a few days ago.

Erich

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Here's the link to a thought-provoking piece in The New Yorker entitled "Goodbye, Cameras".

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/12/goodbye-cameras.html

[Edit for TOPP: "Dreaming of Summer Skies"]

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19260

Did the hair stand up on anyone else's neck as you read that? No doubt the writer echoes the sentiments of millions, look at Nikon/Canon's sales figures. Maybe this is yet another area where I represent the last flicker of an expiring dinosaur. I see this as the dumbing down of photography. Certainly if the "photographer?" never has an aspiration beyond FB or Instagram for their capture, why burden one's self with the weight of the equipment, or knowledge that quality imaging requires? Look at the mass demise of pro photographic labs, obviously there are pitifully few of us who find the need for even a 4x6 print, much less the glorious representations of our talent that we like to produce and display.

I guess if one can strip all the years of learning and striving to reach what we consider our "pinnacle" in the photographic creative process, one can just shrug the current trend off to, what the heck some people shoot with a 100 buck P&S and some reach for a fifty thousand dollar medium format digital. So what? It's a free country. Me being me, and caring so deeply for so long about the magic of the still image, it's difficult to watch this trend to some degree, but I find a lot of things difficult to watch these days, this isn't high on the list.

JWilsonphoto

Beautiful Zim! What do you suppose it would look like in 200mb/13 stop dynamic range? …………or on an iPhone? I don't see us being victims of the aforementioned "dumbing down", do you?

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

I guess I see the changes the article talks about as just an evolution of alternatives depending on what you want or need to accomplish.

How many Hasselblad owners do you think also owned an Instamatic? Zim took only his m4/3 Olympus with him to Italy. I have a friend that's an accomplished portrait and wedding photographer up in Maine. She admitted to me that she only used an iPhone to photograph a family trip to France last year.

There have always been snapshooters versus artists/masters. There may be more folks in the snapshooter category than ever before, but I think (hope) there will be room for the photographic artists in this world for at least the rest of our lifetimes. I think it's great that we have so many new alternatives for those times where all we need is something simple and light.

Mark

JWilsonphoto

I don't know if I mentioned it, but we're involved in a deal funding a new NASCAR track at an undisclosed location in the South. NASCAR has never been high on my radar as a subject (but I'm very excited now!!!! ) There are obviously lots of other types of events, racing and otherwise, that take place at those facilities. Let me say that securing a credential shouldn't be a problem for any of the family here, and yes, I'm doing the progress photography……… More as it unfolds.

JWilsonphoto

Yes Mark, but Zim with the Oly is an even match for most with a Blad………….

msalvetti

Ugh, just checked the temperature and it is has dropped over 10 degrees in the last hour. It's now 9F, I need to go shovel the driveway before my son gets home, and I think we'll be getting another foot overnight.

Mark

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Jim, my take on this article is that the 'dumbing down' of photography is analogous to what has happened to audio recordings with the advent of MP3 players and file sharing, or the publishing industry with the rise of Amazon and eBooks. For the vast majority of the population, MP3's and eBooks are plenty good enough; for the vast majority of the population, Facebook and Instagram are just fine, too, thank you very much.

The music industry is still reeling from the implications of digital file sharing; photography is undergoing a similar upheaval. Meanwhile, people like you and me and the rest of the good folks here on MA2A are able to take advantage of the rapid advances in imaging technology to create ever more stunning imagery with today's ever more capable gear. The fact that there are still clients out there who value your dedication and the quality product you deliver is a testament to an eternal truth: cream rises to the top.

I sit here in my studio with twenty large photo prints of my favorite images staring down at me from the walls. There is still nothing in the digital world to match the experience of coming face to face with a large photo print, or handling a beautifully printed and bound book, or hearing a symphony orchestra perform live in one of the great concert halls. But the democratization of information guarantees the ascendancy of 'good enough'; and the best we can hope for is that there will always remain an audience, however small, for the truly great products of those human endeavors that first arose and reached maturity in the physical world, rather than in cyberspace.

msalvetti

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Yes Mark, but Zim with the Oly is an even match for most with a Blad………….

I was trying to add that the MA2A crew with an iPhone would be an even match, but I couldn't get the words right.

Mark

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Here's your "warm fuzzy" for the day...

This is Lt Col Brian Olson (USAFR Ret) and his son Maxwell "Ace" Olson...

Behind them is a 40x60 metal print of Brian bringing a C-5 to OSH 2012. It was his last operational flight in the AF Reserve. Fellow ISAP member Steve Burke was the Loadmaster on this flight and after having a similar print made for their squadron's ops building, Steve hooked me up with Brian's wife and now they have the same print hanging in their home to enjoy for years to come...

The Shot:

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Sorry Mark, ugh! I have had wonderfully successful results using Stellar-Phoenix. You already know this, but don't reformat that drive until you have exhausted all options.

Jim,

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the trial version and ran it on the affected disk. All of the missing files and folders were found on the scan, so I then proceeded to purchase the product and am now in the process of recovering data off the disk.
Once I have the data off the disk, I think I shall be consigning it to the garbage bin.

Mark

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Over the past month or so I've been in dialogue with the nice folks at Phase One. When my schedule allows, I'm going to shoot with their Phase One 645DF+ using the IQ260 and IQ280 backs. Considerable research is convincing me that this system has it all over Hasselblad in a myriad of ways. Phase One's Raw Converter and image processing software is pretty incredible as well, but then it should be at five times the cost of CS6.

What led me to this research was the desire to blast through even the D800's capabilities for several upcoming projects that will be viewed around the world by a number of people who have the ability to open some substantial doors. Today I spoke at length with a couple of photographers in Sweden and the UK, and they claim the difference between a Phase one 45 file and anything in the 35mm DSLR market is sort of like comparing an iPhone to the D800. They say the Phase One IQ280 is really incredible The IQ260 allows exposures up to 60 minutes, at iso 50, with virtually no digital noise, a feature none of the other backs have. I'm not sure that would be something I would use very often, but it's quite something none the less.

Their local representative is in Arlington, not tremendously convenient, but certainly worth a trip in the near future. Funny, every tutorial/webinar I've reviewed on the Phase One product line brings a grin as I think of what our resident gurus could produce with the Phase One toolkit. Can you imagine, a 200mb file with a 13 stop dynamic range? I think there might be some law against the likes of Beckman, Zimmermann, Welker and others having a weapon like that in their possession

Jim,

There have been some rumours over the past few months that a certain Japanese camera manufacturer is considering a move into medium format and has been sniffing around Phase One.

Mark

1       2       3              3648      
       3650              4531       4532       end