Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3647

1       2       3              3647      
       3649              4532       4533       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

Happy New Year, everyone! May you find peace and happiness...

...and get the shots.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9316

Happy New Year to everyone, and don't forget to change the year in your camera's copyright info, and if you have Upload & Sell on, change the year there too

NightOwl Cat

And Bob, that is a very lovely contract!

ELinder
Total Posts: 1070

Happy New Year everyone. Hope 2014 brings you what you truly need most.

First we had a white Christmas, and now a very white New Years. Time for a cup of coffee in front of a roaring crackling fireplace!

Erich

tom cardin
Total Posts: 1991

Happy New Years, from the Rockies. We had no snow, for Christmas, except what was on the ground. All our family, has returned safely home, so all is well with the Worl.

TOMd

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

HELP!

I have a verbatim 1TB portable HDD that I use for travel. I had just imported the catalogue of photos from my recent Vegas trip into LR on my PC, but not transferred them to my main storage drives yet. On booting up my PC today Windows says the drive needs formatted and there is no recognisable file system.
I have downloaded Recuva but this also doesn't recognise the file system.

This drive contains maybe around 300gb that I would like to recover.

Any advice appreciated before I proceed further.

Leo Hursh
Total Posts: 1651

Mark, you could try connecting it to a different OS or pulling the hard drive out and inserting it into a different housing. Another thing to try would be to run a check disk on it if your computer can see it enough to do that.

Leo Hursh
Total Posts: 1651

Happy New Year to all of you. We are currently traveling back to South AL from Central OH, ahead of the nasty weather. Not much photography recently but I always enjoy browsing the pictures here. Its great to be a part of this family.

God Bless!

MMcGrath

Leo Hursh wrote:
Mark, you could try connecting it to a different OS or pulling the hard drive out and inserting it into a different housing. Another thing to try would be to run a check disk on it if your computer can see it enough to do that.

Leo,

Thanks. A friend who works in IT has diagnosed a corrupted partition file based on the same info that I supplied here. He said this should be recoverable. Just need to research it fully before I progress further.

Mark

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19268

Sorry Mark, ugh! I have had wonderfully successful results using Stellar-Phoenix. You already know this, but don't reformat that drive until you have exhausted all options.

MMcGrath

Jim,

Many thanks. I'll have a look at that tomorrow. In the interim I have disconnected the drive from the PC.

Regards,

Mark

NightOwl Cat

Mark, try Hiren's Boot Disk, which has many tools available:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/hbcd-v152/

(trying to remember which tool it was on there that worked best)

MMcGrath wrote:

Leo Hursh wrote:

Leo,

Thanks. A friend who works in IT has diagnosed a corrupted partition file based on the same info that I supplied here. He said this should be recoverable. Just need to research it fully before I progress further.

Mark

Gary Sommer
Total Posts: 341

I took my grandson to Evergreen Aviation Museum this week.

Hughs H-4 Hercules (Spruce Goose)

Eight Pratt & Witney R4360 engines. 28 cylinders each. Two spark plugs per cylinder for a total of 448. Man, I would hate to do a tune-up on this baby.

JWilsonphoto

Over the past month or so I've been in dialogue with the nice folks at Phase One. When my schedule allows, I'm going to shoot with their Phase One 645DF+ using the IQ260 and IQ280 backs. Considerable research is convincing me that this system has it all over Hasselblad in a myriad of ways. Phase One's Raw Converter and image processing software is pretty incredible as well, but then it should be at five times the cost of CS6.

What led me to this research was the desire to blast through even the D800's capabilities for several upcoming projects that will be viewed around the world by a number of people who have the ability to open some substantial doors. Today I spoke at length with a couple of photographers in Sweden and the UK, and they claim the difference between a Phase one 45 file and anything in the 35mm DSLR market is sort of like comparing an iPhone to the D800. They say the Phase One IQ280 is really incredible The IQ260 allows exposures up to 60 minutes, at iso 50, with virtually no digital noise, a feature none of the other backs have. I'm not sure that would be something I would use very often, but it's quite something none the less.

Their local representative is in Arlington, not tremendously convenient, but certainly worth a trip in the near future. Funny, every tutorial/webinar I've reviewed on the Phase One product line brings a grin as I think of what our resident gurus could produce with the Phase One toolkit. Can you imagine, a 200mb file with a 13 stop dynamic range? I think there might be some law against the likes of Beckman, Zimmermann, Welker and others having a weapon like that in their possession

JWilsonphoto

Welcome Gary! Rumor has it that the museum has defaulted on a 50K balance on the Spruce Goose, you might be able to make a deal.

JWilsonphoto

Keep us posted Mark. One of the many scenarios that keeps me up at night since our images became composed of zeros and ones. What with all the card corruptions I've had over the past year, my workflow (when it allows) is to shoot a scene, back it up to two external Lacie rubber coated travel drives, and my MacBook Pro. I have all my cameras programmed to write the files to double media in camera.............. "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after you!"

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Over the past month or so I've been in dialogue with the nice folks at Phase One. When my schedule allows, I'm going to shoot with their Phase One 645DF+ using the IQ260 and IQ280 backs. Considerable research is convincing me that this system has it all over Hasselblad in a myriad of ways. Phase One's Raw Converter and image processing software is pretty incredible as well, but then it should be at five times the cost of CS6.

What led me to this research was the desire to blast through even the D800's capabilities for several upcoming projects that will be viewed around the world by a number of people who have the ability to open some substantial doors. Today I spoke at length with a couple of photographers in Sweden and the UK, and they claim the difference between a Phase one 45 file and anything in the 35mm DSLR market is sort of like comparing an iPhone to the D800. They say the Phase One IQ280 is really incredible The IQ260 allows exposures up to 60 minutes, at iso 50, with virtually no digital noise, a feature none of the other backs have. I'm not sure that would be something I would use very often, but it's quite something none the less.

Their local representative is in Arlington, not tremendously convenient, but certainly worth a trip in the near future. Funny, every tutorial/webinar I've reviewed on the Phase One product line brings a grin as I think of what our resident gurus could produce with the Phase One toolkit. Can you imagine, a 200mb file with a 13 stop dynamic range? I think there might be some law against the likes of Beckman, Zimmermann, Welker and others having a weapon like that in their possession

Jim - About 6-months ago I had an unexpected opportunity to play with a Phase One setup. I was in my local camera store and a pro walked in with one in hand. He later emailed me a RAW file and I was blown away by the IQ. I did some considerable research after that experience and I concluded that Phase One surpasses Hasselblad "H" system in both image and build quality. I am of the opinion that their sensor design is second to none. The lenses are superb and the software is going to give Adobe a run for the money.

IMO, Phase One must be doing something right. In a world where mainstream camera manufacturers are trying to avoid losing more market share to the mobile phone camera crowd, Phase One is succeeding while producing the most expensive camera system in the world. For work that requires a tripod (i.e. architectural, aircraft interiors, etc) some folks are buying the Phase One IQ280 back and coupling it with a ALPA 12 FPS camera system (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/the_new_alpa_12_fps.shtml). It allows a photographer to use nearly any lens on the planet to create a platform that meets the needs of virtually any project imaginable.

I can see you wielding an ALPA 12 FPS with the Phase One IQ280 back inside an Airbus, BBJ, Global, or any other such aircraft and producing unrivaled imagery. From the tail of your B-25, you can put that IQ280 on the 645DF with a Schneider Kreuznach lens and achieve A2A like no other. I'm getting excited about it just typing this post.

I love to spend your money Jim

JWilsonphoto

That's the impression I'm getting Jeff. Much as I would like Blad to be back on top, I think they've lost sight of the prize. Sure wish these guys would produce a TS lens. Phase One has a YouTube describing the design and manufacturing process of the Schneider lenses for the 645, very impressive. always loved my Schneider glass. As great as the Capture One software is, the market for six thousand dollar image processing software has to be pretty limited. The stuff is really intuitive though, like creating new layers each time one selects an area to lighten/darken, or color correct. You can easily name the layer and return to it to tweak it. Really we'll thought out menus and interface. I guess if I dropped 50 on Phase One gear, the software would be a no brainer.

stevezzzz

Exciting news: I just learned that my new Pipistrel Virus SWiS is in a container on a ship about to leave the Med for the open Atlantic. Based on what I'm seeing on the wind maps, they may want to wait a few days and/or take the southerly route with my precious cargo.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-23.77,57.47,597

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Keep us posted Mark. One of the many scenarios that keeps me up at night since our images became composed of zeros and ones. What with all the card corruptions I've had over the past year, my workflow (when it allows) is to shoot a scene, back it up to two external Lacie rubber coated travel drives, and my MacBook Pro. I have all my cameras programmed to write the files to double media in camera.............. "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after you!"

This kind of thing gives me the willies, too. I took the first of my two, identical 20TB Drobo 5S units to the safe deposit box on Tuesday, swapped it for its brother, and brought the brother home to take its place as the archival, 3rd-copy drive here at Studio Z. But this evening I found the Drobo with errors on one disk slot and the unit rebuilding data from the other four disks. So far, nothing has been lost and I have both the local primary backup copy and the second Drobo in my safe deposit box (my backup scheme is holding together, in other words), but it sure is disconcerting to see all the red and yellow flashing lights.

1       2       3              3647      
       3649              4532       4533       end