Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3642

1       2       3              3642      
       3644              4529       4530       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19249

Chandler has mastered the RC Super Cub. We picked up what the guy at the RC store told us is the next level of trainer "actually easier to fly than your Super Cub...." a T-28 with ailerons. Not wanting Chandler to have the guilt and defeat of burying the new plane in a smoking hole, I did the honors. Take off, left turn into a race track oval pattern, another left turn over head, beginning the turn for another oval, abrupt pitch up, take off and departure stall to the right, .....bye-bye. Cost to fly the T28 with our skill level computes to $259.00 a minute. Have I mentioned that I really dislike the RC hobby?

Of course when you return to the RC store the guy tells us, "what you really need is this 400 buck Spektrum controller, the potentiometers will make flying much easier" . I equate this whole experience with the carnival barker who tells you that you are so close to winning the big stuffed animal, five bucks more and you're a shoe in. Sheesh! We're going to fly 1:1 today, it's much cheaper!

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4092

yeah that's a costly hobby indeed will keep it at plastic non flying models.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

Great video from Saturday's gold race.

Check out how fast the Bear comes in to land. No flaps=mega landing speed!!

J Mosher
Total Posts: 176

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Looks like a William S Phillips painting. Love It!

Lol! That's the reason I couldn't stop staring at it. I was trying to decide if I should re-edit it.

Thank you for your feedback everybody. Much appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Jeremy

tom cardin
Total Posts: 1991

Don't let them sell you anything else, Jim, the Super Cub will last a long time and it will really teach Chandler to fly. Most First time RC fliers, will build a Mustang and they are not trainers.. The Cub is a good trainer. Worst part about building them, is knowing they are going to end up in dumpster. Don't give up.
Hope the plane wasn't a Christmas gift

Tom

JWilsonphoto

Hi Tom,

Sage advice, thanks! No it wasn't a gift, an unfortunate impulse buy yesterday afternoon after we had a great couple of hours flying the Cub. The 28 will fly again, the good thing about foam is it's cheap to fix. 39 bucks gets a new fuselage, everything else seems ok. The pilot, I'm afraid, was the victim of massive blunt force trauma, Chandler says he looks like his eyes are closed, I don't wonder!

Ernie Aubert
Total Posts: 4794

Jim, I have a lot of experience flying RC models. It's generally recommended to start with a high-wing trainer as a first 4-channel. You mention that the T28 has ailerons; does that mean that the Super Cub is 3-channel? The model I was about to recommend doesn't seem to be on the market any more: a Great Planes Trainer; they have something now they call the "Perfect Trainer", and it's probably good, but to my eye, it looks a little ugly because of what I regard as an excessive amount of dihedral. (But for all I know, the plans might offer different degrees; that wouldn't be unheard of.) Here's a link that shows a variety of high-wing trainers; it might be useful: http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/rc-trainer-planes.html

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Morning Majesty
Fresh from this AM...

ELinder
Total Posts: 1068

Jim, whatever you do, don't let yourself be talked into an RC heli. THAT gets expensive really fast, especially if you have no prior RC experience. My resultant remains are back in the box awaiting rebuilding some day...

Erich

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

If I were to get some prints done, what settings and sizes do you guys recommend in PS before I take it to the print shop? I want them to be high quality of course, but everything I keep testing in PS doesn't quite look like I want it to.

Any suggestions?

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9297

First thing I would do is talk to the print shop and see what they want. They may just want the PSD file and handle the color management themselves..

Ryan Harris wrote:
If I were to get some prints done, what settings and sizes do you guys recommend in PS before I take it to the print shop? I want them to be high quality of course, but everything I keep testing in PS doesn't quite look like I want it to.

Any suggestions?

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

An interesting video of Dubai International for starters. Seems there is an ongoing series about this airport.

Jan-Arie

Cool Video

It's not always war and horror

http://viralgo.com/operation-christmas-drop/

yipDog
Total Posts: 148

More from Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ (alongside Jay Beckman)

This one's called "Morning Traffic Sucks!"

And this one… "I think the 500mm plus 1.4 TC might have been a bit too much lens!"

Jan-Arie

There is not such thing as to much Lens nice detail and close-up..

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3166

Love the traffic shot. Looks like a big mama bird with her chicks.

Mark

JWilsonphoto

Chandler and our battle worn Super Cub.........Duct Tape and Super Glue seem to be the tools of the RC trade.......

dtw757
Total Posts: 129

Jim,

UMX Carbon Cub SS BNF by eFlite......great way for any one to learn to fly ailerons on a R/C plane. Even has a "leveler" to make the plane more stable. Will fly 7-10 minutes on a charge and has a complete set of lights for low vis flying. If you can remember to say " stick to the low wing" anytime the aircraft is coming AT you and you want to roll wings level ...put (push) the stick to the same side of the low wing and you will roll wings level. No thinking required, no panic involved. No smoking hole.

Cheers...Mike

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3829

Jim:
I presume you are talking about the parkzone t-28? I've turned at least 4 of those into styropfoam bits. But they really are easy to fly! wink wink...

what happened? do you think the battery shifted rear? All joking aside they are a breeze to fly as long as the CG is right.

Glenn

JWilsonphoto

A little 1:1 scale, fortunately I'm much better at that!

1       2       3              3642      
       3644              4529       4530       end