Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3641

1       2       3              3641      
       3643              4344       4345       end

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2171

Guys,

You've got to check out Vincent Laforet's latest blog post.

A 3.5lbs digital gimbal designed for DSLR type video.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16221

That is unbelievable Mark! Here's the link Boys and Girls:

http://vimeo.com/63297368

JWilsonphoto

On the subject of stabilization, my friend Bobbye Kenyon is sending me her new KS-6x6 design to flight test. I'll be doing an article on it in an upcoming ISnAP and comparing it to the existing uni directional gyro designs.

Now I'm off to the Movi site to see what this rig is all about!

Thanks Mark!!

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2171

Jim,

What impressed me was the footage shot out of the helicopter over Manhattan.
Thats the sort of stuff you normally need a very expensive heli cam set up for.

Price is out of my league however.

Mark

JWilsonphoto

It is amazing Mark. Looks like that particular model will be in the $15,000 range. Pricey, but that's only 7.5 helicopter rentals with the stabilized camera set up. Kenyon is sending me a 4x4. After a little discussion we decided the 6x6 would be considerable overkill. The 4x4 is the equivalent of a KS-8 in stabilization, plus the other axis. Still, the Movi is a completely different product and would make a great addition for a number of DSLR video applications. One just has to have the assignments that make investing in these a viable option.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3613

Mmmm interesting piece of film amazing to see how far technology has come very nice.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3613

Had a long think if i would convert it to B&W but i liked the little bit of color that was in the photo.

JWilsonphoto

I agree Jan Arie, very subtle, but very cool!

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

Airport tower closing now set for mid june WHEN funding will absolutely be cut off.

http://news.yahoo.com/faa-delays-closing-airport-control-towers-184834504--politics.html

JWilsonphoto

Just ordered the quick release base and Arca Swiss plate for the Kenyon KS-4x4. I'll have the Kenyon unit in a week or so for evaluation. I don't think I would consider it if it weren't for the video possibilities. I really rarely use my KS4, it's like new, on the other hand I like to have it when I feel like I need it. The 4x4 adds the dimension that creates smooth video clips, hopefully akin to what Mark discovered in the MOVI unit. I shot that HD clip of the Mustang and the T38 and it's pretty darn good, but there's a little chop here and there and it really annoys me. You develop a feel for shooting between the chop when you're shooting stills, obviously video is terribly unforgiving of any hiccup in the air, or motion induced by the videographer. I've tried video sequences air to ground in the smoothest of air, none of it has really produced anything up to our standards here. There's always a bump, or a tilt, that just trashes the feel of the clip. If this unit performs as suggested, and smooths all that out, it's worth it's weight in gold, and a bargain at $3,500. An hour in a LongRanger with a stabilized HD rig mounted on the nose will eat up 2/3 of that cost. While the 4x4 won't give me all the perspectives of the nose mounted HD unit, it should do the majority of what I need in still and video. We'll see.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4544

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Just ordered the quick release base and Arca Swiss plate for the Kenyon KS-4x4. I'll have the Kenyon unit in a week or so for evaluation. I don't think I would consider it if it weren't for the video possibilities. I really rarely use my KS4, it's like new, on the other hand I like to have it when I feel like I need it. The 4x4 adds the dimension that creates smooth video clips, hopefully akin to what Mark discovered in the MOVI unit. I shot that HD clip of the Mustang and the T38 and it's pretty darn good, but there's a little chop here and there and it really annoys me. You develop a feel for shooting between the chop when you're shooting stills, obviously video is terribly unforgiving of any hiccup in the air, or motion induced by the videographer. I've tried video sequences air to ground in the smoothest of air, none of it has really produced anything up to our standards here. There's always a bump, or a tilt, that just trashes the feel of the clip. If this unit performs as suggested, and smooths all that out, it's worth it's weight in gold, and a bargain at $3,500. An hour in a LongRanger with a stabilized HD rig mounted on the nose will eat up 2/3 of that cost. While the 4x4 won't give me all the perspectives of the nose mounted HD unit, it should do the majority of what I need in still and video. We'll see.

Jim, have you explored any lashups using bungees to suspend the camera? I seem to recall our friend Mr. Slocum talking about doing something like this at the last ISAP Symposium. Long bungee across the cabin and then basically "hanging" the camera off of that to absorb the bumps.

JWilsonphoto

Hi Jay,

I have, and it helps a little, but it doesn't come anywhere near giving you that buttery smooth look the Movi, or the 4x4 designs do. I'm pumped! If the 4x4 can really do that, it's an absolute necessity for some of the stuff I do, and work I shy away from because I don't think I can produce the end result I expect.

Man, I wish I was tagging along with you and Zim for the next few days, it'd be good for the soul. I've been getting his "Find Me Spot" alerts since early this morning. When you see him, give him a great big hug for me would Ya? You Guys have a great time and shoot 'em up! What fun!

Mrussfoto
Total Posts: 16

I can definitely see this costing me money because I'm grinning right now.

JWilsonphoto

Oh Yeah Micheal! No way around it. The good news is, you grin, you buy stuff, you shoot stuff, you grin more. It's kind of a nice cycle.

JWilsonphoto

BTW, If I am smitten by the Kenyon 4x4, my mint KS-4 will go on the market in pretty short order. It's in a Stormcase with two batteries and all the accessories.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3071

Ill put my name down for the ks4. It'll go nice with my new D800

JWilsonphoto

I knew it was just a matter of time before you began easing up through the gear ranks Glenn. Congratulations! You will have to post warnings before you exhibit your D800 captures, might just be overload! I'll keep you posted on the KS-4. It'll be a couple of weeks I would imagine. Like I said, you won't use it all the time, but when you feel you need it, it's awfully nice to have in the bag.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4544

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Man, I wish I was tagging along with you and Zim for the next few days, it'd be good for the soul. I've been getting his "Find Me Spot" alerts since early this morning. When you see him, give him a great big hug for me would Ya? You Guys have a great time and shoot 'em up! What fun!

Will Do..

Wish you were going with as well.

Razor17
Total Posts: 336

A few from the Stallion 51 hangar back in 2008

Razor17
Total Posts: 336

A few more...

1       2       3              3641      
       3643              4344       4345       end