Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3634

1       2       3              3634      
       3636              4531       4532       end

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

I know this is not a political forum, but I am MAD AS HELL! Congress is passing a budget bill to cut COLA increases to current and future military retirees, under the age of 62, by reducing their retirement pay increases 1% below the cost of living. This includes disabled military retirees under the age of 62. Using the present value/future value of dollars, this becomes a compounded reduction in pay over the years and will put their income significantly below the cost of living.

Also, most of the enlisted personnel who retire at E-6 are paid $20k after 20 years service.

(NOTE: This does not affect me, I am over 62 and my pay is less than $10k/year.)

This is the only REAL cut in the budget, all the rest of the cuts simply reduce the growth; that is, instead of increasing a departments annual 5% increase, they will only increase the budget 4.5%.

Current federal employees and retirees are not affected by this bill. Future Federal employees who are not hired yet, will be. Congressional and presidential pensions were untouched...and remember, this is the wealthiest congress ever!

I feel the House of Representatives, Senate (after they pass the bill today), and the President (after he signs the bill, which he said he would) have just dumped a big turd on these heroes we have sent to war zones over and over again.

I have never been ashamed of our country until this. This is a joint effort by Democrats and Republicans, so all the representatives, senators and president should be ashamed of themselves, but their ego and power won't let them.

We need to clean out the capitol and white house.

Edmond Ray Swindle

Ernie Aubert
Total Posts: 4797

VTBO - and the B doesn't stand for "Bums". Whatever one may think of Pat Buchanan, I give him credit for saying this: "The Democratic Party and the Republican Party are two wings of the same bird of prey."

Many years ago when he was still living in Sri Lanka, one of the high government officials, maybe the main one, asked Swami Satchidananda for advice on improving the country. The Swami told him that he wouldn't like the answer, so he shouldn't ask. But the official pressed and insisted, so the Swami told him, "Take all the political leaders and put them in a boat, take all the religious leaders and put them in another boat, and send those two boats to No Man's Island; the people will be happy."

yipDog
Total Posts: 148

A few random shots...

Ridin' the Rail

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Random stuff from my corner of the world...
(Which is very near Rob's!)

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19263

Just wrapped up a two day shoot using my new RRS 55 Ball Head. I'm still fumbling a little, looking for the twisty handles on my Gitzo platform head, but that is going away quickly. First impressions are, I like it, and it's built the way we like things here, beautifully. As I suspected, verticals are wonderfully simple, I ended up extending about 8 inches of last section of my Gitzo's legs because the camera sits a little lower on the ball head. One thing I didn't anticipate is the lack of arms catching on straps, cords me, whatever, very clean and noticeably lighter that the mass of my Gitzo platform. Now I need to find a nice padded corder bag to transport it in. One more good tip from Zim! On that subject, the perspectives where I feel the 17 T/S is appropriate, the shots just knock my architects out. Just the physical presence of the lens is enough to put a photographer ahead of the pack in the client's eyes, but the images it creates seal the deal. Sure wish Nikon would get on the stick with their 17mm product.

JWilsonphoto

Beautiful images Yip and Jay. I'm having a meeting in a few minutes at HQ and I'll be pitching your image of KTKI framed in Cirrus Jay. Let's see if I can make you a little walking around money.

JWilsonphoto

You know, back in the day I actually ended up injuring myself with a Bogen tripod. There was something about the arm positions and the force required to lock everything down that damaged the tendons in my hands and my forearms. I bought a Gitzo and chucked the Bogen in a dumpster on the way to a shoot. The Gitzo I bought was a big Studex, with a geared center column for the Sinar and my Blads. It didn't hurt my hands, but it sure wasn't back friendly. I still have it, picked it up the other day when I was reorganizing my trailer, gee whiz! How I drug that thing around all day for a couple of decades I'll never know. Maybe I'll mount Glenn's MiG on it out in front of the hangar.

JWilsonphoto

The "pointy" end………….

JWilsonphoto

Still sexy after all these years……………….

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

The new MacPro is to be released tomorrow...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/18/apple_mac_pro_out_tomorrow/

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

The cylindrical form factor kind of reminds me of the old Cray-1, but smaller and better looking. And it's undoubtedly faster, at 0.01% of the price (not adjusting for inflation!): it's amazing how rapidly computer technology advances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray-1

I remember in the late 70's when NCAR's Cray-1 was installed and sat in its own room under a transparent ceiling visible from the lobby of the iconic, I. M. Pei-designed Mesa Laboratory building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_Laboratory

To bring this back to aviation: I knew Walter Orr Roberts, the founding director of NCAR. He was a glider pilot and owned a Beech Baron; my instrument instructor was also his safety pilot (Walter had lost his medical somewhere along the way) and I once rode in the Baron from Boulder to Aspen on a winter wave day, getting beat to hell in the rotor on the westbound flight over the Divide. As we climbed out over the foothills and began to hit the rotor turbulence, I was asked to roust out the oxygen masks from back in the baggage area behind the seats; by the time I found them after searching through the piles of other stuff back there, riding backwards with my head down in the hold had turned me a lovely shade of green. I didn't exactly toss my cookies, but it was a near thing.

Funny how one thing will remind you of something else that brings a memory floating up from the recesses of the old noggin. I hadn't thought about that flight for 30 years.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Beautiful images Yip and Jay. I'm having a meeting in a few minutes at HQ and I'll be pitching your image of KTKI framed in Cirrus Jay. Let's see if I can make you a little walking around money.

Appreciate the representation my friend...

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Just wrapped up a two day shoot using my new RRS 55 Ball Head. I'm still fumbling a little, looking for the twisty handles on my Gitzo platform head, but that is going away quickly. First impressions are, I like it, and it's built the way we like things here, beautifully. As I suspected, verticals are wonderfully simple, I ended up extending about 8 inches of last section of my Gitzo's legs because the camera sits a little lower on the ball head. One thing I didn't anticipate is the lack of arms catching on straps, cords me, whatever, very clean and noticeably lighter that the mass of my Gitzo platform. Now I need to find a nice padded corder bag to transport it in. One more good tip from Zim! On that subject, the perspectives where I feel the 17 T/S is appropriate, the shots just knock my architects out. Just the physical presence of the lens is enough to put a photographer ahead of the pack in the client's eyes, but the images it creates seal the deal. Sure wish Nikon would get on the stick with their 17mm product.

Glad the BH-55 is working out for you, Jim. I used mine (and the 17 T/S, natch) on an architectural shoot the other day, making MLS images to help market the condo my daughter is currently renting from me (she's moving to a house she and her fiancee are having built a few miles away). Kids, they do grow up.

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

Decided to break away from photo flight pics to do some Wings Over Houston stuff today.

First, an angry angle of a different B-25 for Jim...

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

Ok I lied, I re-did one photo flight Mustang shot from 2008. The result is much better this time, but I realized today why everyone prefers editing with Raw files vs. Jpeg...

HansB
Total Posts: 1490

All these years on FM, I never came to this forum. I didn't expect to find fantastic aviation photography!

Here are a few of mine from St. Maarten:

HansB

I didn't take the last photo...I was flying the airplane.

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

Welcome to our humble little world, Hans. We have become a family over the years and that family still keeps on growing. Hang around and enjoy the ride, because it only gets better with time.

Regards, Colin

JWilsonphoto

Welcome Hans!

Ryan!! That Mustang in the haze is incredible. Thanks for the Mitchell pass I just can't warm up to the solid nose models. I guess it doesn't matter cuz my favorite spot is the opposite end but if we get one, it'll be a glass nose version .

JWilsonphoto

Colin, you are so great at welcoming new folks! Well done!

HansB

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Welcome to our humble little world, Hans. We have become a family over the years and that family still keeps on growing. Hang around and enjoy the ride, because it only gets better with time.

Regards, Colin

Thank you Colin, it's a pleasure to see everyones work here.

1       2       3              3634      
       3636              4531       4532       end