/forum/topic/600984/3633

1       2       3              3633      
       3635              4531       4532       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

[deleted as redundant]

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9308

Thanks Steve and Jeff. I had to ask my professor if I could switch the time for taking a final in order to get to the museum for the day the Osprey was supposed to land, however, the landing was cancelled due to inclement weather, so they did it on Thursday instead. Glad I listened to the little voice in my head that said go inside for a while. Guess while I'm on break I'll go to the other two galleries that have reopened and spend some quality time there.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19267

I found myself at Lowe's today buying 500 bucks worth of incandescent light bulbs, 60, 40, 25 watt and 65 watt floods. Seems in their infinite wisdom our legislators have decided that the incandescent bulb should be illegal beginning January 1, 2014. I know eventually the government will win, but in this instance, I can now hold their stupidity off for a couple of years at least.

None of the mercury filled, or LED bulbs radiate the same warmth as the incandescents, and if you are photographing a room, they look dumb in translucent fixtures. The 65 watt floods at HQ have lasted for three years so far, based on that life expectancy, I have enough back ups to last until I don't care anymore. So, you can come to HQ, enjoy warm inviting light, have a sugary soft drink larger than 16 ounces, kick back and be a real rebel. You just can't make this stuff up!

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4118

I hear ya on the bulbs Jim, stock up while ya can, the Costco led lights are great for wife's and kids that forget to hit that switch, can run all night and not cost a dime

JWilsonphoto

I suppose, like everything else, we'll get used to the light from the new stuff, but I'd like to hold that off as long as possible photographically speaking. Lowe's and Home Depot say they think they have enough back stock to last into mid 2014, but as people realize that those bulbs will be vanishing forever, the rate of depletion will accelerate.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

Not to mention a 12 pack of bulbs is $4 compared to $26 for a single!

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Jim, since you live in a large city, just shop in the liberal/yuppie areas, the shelves will still be full.

Or you could locate some of these: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/12/16/man-who-saved-lightbulb/

JWilsonphoto

There you go, good old fashioned capitalism, the Pope doesn't care for it, but then I have some issues with a few things they've allowed to go on.

JWilsonphoto

After over 30 years, I finally tracked down the gentleman who walked into my office at Cat with a silver case filled with Hasselblad gear. I've wanted to tell him just what that act of faith and kindness meant to me, and what it set in motion. This evening I composed a note to just that purpose and sent it off to him. Other than the events surrounding my friendship with Glenn, and his subsequent loss, I don't believe I've ever seen God's hand quite so clearly in my life as when it set down a case of Blads on my desk in 1981.

JWilsonphoto

Off to shoot one last assignment before Christmas, then a little R&R.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

JWilsonphoto wrote:
There you go, good old fashioned capitalism, the Pope doesn't care for it, but then I have some issues with a few things they've allowed to go on.

Jim,

You'd be surprised at some of the entities that the Vatican have large share holdings in - American Tobacco, FIAT, GM & allegedly the 2nd largest shareholder in Beretta.

Mark

carrg1954
Total Posts: 1262

JamesG wrote:
Hi guys, not been around much lately so trying to catch up on recent posts. Have got a week off work so grabbing the chance to work through my shots from the summer. What better way to start the week than with a few Spitfires...

Got too carried away with the filters on this one (must be the excitement of being on holiday!)

Cheers

James
very nice series

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

JWilsonphoto wrote:
After over 30 years, I finally tracked down the gentleman who walked into my office at Cat with a silver case filled with Hasselblad gear. I've wanted to tell him just what that act of faith and kindness meant to me, and what it set in motion. This evening I composed a note to just that purpose and sent it off to him. Other than the events surrounding my friendship with Glenn, and his subsequent loss, I don't believe I've ever seen God's hand quite so clearly in my life as when it set down a case of Blads on my desk in 1981.

Thanks for sharing those feelings Jim. As I've grown older, I find it truly satisfying and humbling to sit and reflect on my life. In those quiet moments, the blessings that have been mine shine forth with total clarity. While there have been many challenges, the blessings far out weigh those brief moments of difficulty. In fact, if I'm honest with myself about the times of strife, I generally find that those were also God's blessings of refinement and making the rough edges smooth. Such reflection makes me grateful for God's tender mercies. An understanding that gives me comfort and confidence in these tumultuous times.

Another night shot from PASM.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Jeff, I like the nocturnal -47 even better than your -52, and that's going some.

Ernie Aubert
Total Posts: 4797

Jeff, that's a really wonderful shot of the B-47; brings to mind Jimmy Stewart in Strategic Air Command, which I saw in a theater in its initial run.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

Anybody wants a project, going up for auction soon.

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/?survivors/serial/44-84896

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4094

Tim Adams wrote:
Anybody wants a project, going up for auction soon.

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/?survivors/serial/44-84896

Shees just spend my money on something else.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

stevez wrote:
Jeff, I like the nocturnal -47 even better than your -52, and that's going some.

Thanks Steve. I wasn't sure how I felt about this image initially, but it got better the more I looked at it on my monitor. Frankly, I've never been much of a B-47 fan, but this one is starting to grow on me

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Jeff, that's a really wonderful shot of the B-47; brings to mind Jimmy Stewart in Strategic Air Command, which I saw in a theater in its initial run.

Thanks Ernie. I also saw the movie; however, a few years after you did. You see, Strategic Air Command was released about 6 months before I was born

Zane Adams
Total Posts: 371

Anyone have an opinion on LightRocket.com?

Seems like a decent deal for $50 a year. I'm currnetly only involved in paying Flickr $25 a year. Seems like there is a lot offered on LightRocket....if I want more exposure it might be a way to go...Getty included some how.

Zane Adams
Total Posts: 371

Caught Kirby Chambliss doing a Red Bull Air Race photo/video shoot at Texas Motor Speedway yesterday. I just happened to be driving up I-35 past Alliance when they departed and dove for the speedway.
Cool to watch for a few minutes.

1       2       3              3633      
       3635              4531       4532       end