Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

64, about to get very wet.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Jeff W. wrote:
MMcGrath wrote:
Jeff,

Both shots are outstanding. What sort of exposure times are they?

Mark

Thanks all for the kind comments. You'd be more than welcome in our group Jim; we have a ton of fun and there are some very accomplished shooters. I try and peak over their shoulders whenever I can - like I did last night.

@Mark - The Buff and Hustler were 2-minute and 30-second exposures. The F-84 below is a 10 minute exposure. I had to go to f/22 for depth of field purposes and that significantly increase my exposure time. Thank goodness for the high ISO and long exposure noise reduction built into my 5D3.

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I wonder how long an exposure you need for circular star trails to develop?

Saw this of one of the gate guards at Mojave:

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7717316&nseq=3

Mark

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

Jan-Arie wrote:

Featuring Glenn Watson

Thanks JA - Thats a cool video eh? Our very own Ryan Harris was invited to join Fred Miranda on that fateful day! If you look close, can you see Wrei's farm??

Glenn

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

Ran into Wayne P at the avionics shop where my Bonanza is the other day. Should have Sarah Jean on my wing soon in more optimal conditions that high noon overcast!

Glenn

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4083

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Since I was in the neighborhood this past Wednesday, I dropped in to the museum for a little while.

What an great series of shots in the museum, Laura. Thanks for posting!

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

stevez wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Since I was in the neighborhood this past Wednesday, I dropped in to the museum for a little while.

What an great series of shots in the museum, Laura. Thanks for posting!

+1 Laura. I've always thought it was tough sledding to obtain quality images in a public museum; but you nailed it in spades. As a side note for those that like shooting film from time to time, That Pen F 35mm camera in Laura's photos produces some very nice photographs

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

MMcGrath wrote:
Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I wonder how long an exposure you need for circular star trails to develop?

Saw this of one of the gate guards at Mojave:

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7717316&nseq=3

Mark

Hey Mark - I'm not experienced at shooting star trails, but a couple of my AzAP associates are. They were doing a little of that last night. If I understood their explanation correctly, they were taking a large series of 2 to 4 minute exposures and them creating a single composite image in PS. I would have tried for one extremely long exposure, but they tell me that does not work very well. Remember, I'm the dumbest guy in the room when it comes to that type of photography, so you best double-check my comments to make sure you don't waste your time

Edit for TOPP. This is a photo I took at sunset. The colors in the sky were wonderful and reflected nicely on the prop surfaces.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Jeff,

I would probably have done the same as you - shoot 1 long exposure, rather than multiple stacked shots.

Mark

Larry Grace
Total Posts: 130

I received an email tonight informing me of the passing of Tuskegee Airman Hilton Joseph. Hilton along with Lawton “Wilk” Wilkerson were our keynote speakers at ISAP XI, Norfolk VA. Wilk passed on to me the following statement:
“Hilton really enjoyed and constantly used the Nikon you folks give him! And I enjoy using mine as well! That was an occasion neither of us will ever forget.”Hilton, who was a concert violinist as well, will now be making music with a Heavenly Orchestra. May he rest in peace

Hilton Maceo Joseph • Feb 17, 1922- Nov. 1, 2013

stevezzzz

Larry, meeting those two fine gentlemen was the highlight of last year's ISAP. My condolences go out to Hilton's family and friends, and may he rest in peace.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19267

I agree Steve.

fryoy
Total Posts: 12

futurshox
Total Posts: 2776

I am sorry to hear of Hilton's passing.

Star trails are indeed best done with multiple exposures. If you take one long exposure then you run into problems with the sensor getting too hot, you can get bright pixels and extra noise in the image.

I use a program called StarStax which is quick and easy, to blend all the images. http://www.markus-enzweiler.de/software/software.html The only downside which I haven't figured out yet is the tiny gaps in the lines you get with this method. I am sure there are ways to diminish this but I haven't spent enough time playing with it.

As for getting circular trails, you start seeing curves after 10-20 minutes. An hour will give you plenty of curves. And there are always more stars that show up in your exposure than you think there are to look at, so things can get congested quickly!

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9312

So sad to hear.

Larry Grace wrote:
I received an email tonight informing me of the passing of Tuskegee Airman Hilton Joseph. Hilton along with Lawton “Wilk” Wilkerson were our keynote speakers at ISAP XI, Norfolk VA. Wilk passed on to me the following statement:
“Hilton really enjoyed and constantly used the Nikon you folks give him! And I enjoy using mine as well! That was an occasion neither of us will ever forget.”Hilton, who was a concert violinist as well, will now be making music with a Heavenly Orchestra. May he rest in peace

Hilton Maceo Joseph • Feb 17, 1922- Nov. 1, 2013

JamesG
Total Posts: 307

Hi guys, not been around much lately so trying to catch up on recent posts. Have got a week off work so grabbing the chance to work through my shots from the summer. What better way to start the week than with a few Spitfires...

Got too carried away with the filters on this one (must be the excitement of being on holiday!)

Cheers

James

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19267

Welcome back James! Wonderful shots!!

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Thanks JA - Thats a cool video eh? Our very own Ryan Harris was invited to join Fred Miranda on that fateful day! If you look close, can you see Wrei's farm??

I have looked in the video and your A2A shots Glenn. You guys were 1/4 south of the farm on the northern turn to south. Therefore, you were almost directly over the farm. I did not see the farm or our little yellow farm house in any of the fantastic photos/videos.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Welcome back James! Wonderful shots!!

What Jim said!

1       2       3              3632      
       3634              4532       4533       end