Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3631

1       2       3              3631      
       3633              4533       4534       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19275

Good example of old fashioned drive, Glenn created that opportunity from nothing. He knew they were going to be in town, did some research and learned where the previous stop was going to be, contacted the powers that be and proposed his photographic plan. Well done Glenn!

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Brian's wonderful Stearman image is a great example of the "full disc" goal. Not everyone can get them, no one can get them all the time, for some it's not even a goal, some like the effect, some don't care. Therein lies one of the beauties of our passion and trade. Kind of a "from each according to his/her ability, to each according to his/her vision" to paraphrase good 'Ol Karl.

Because of Brian's vision and skill at the instant the Stearman was captured, one can see something I don't ever remember seeing prior to this image, a perfect shade sketch of the radial engine on the back of the prop, very cool! Well done Brian!!

There was a little bit of the man upstairs putting me and the sun in agreeable spots as well Thank you for the kind words on that.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

stevez wrote:
Not to mention both of the right wings! I puzzled over that shadow on the prop disc until Jim's note made it obvious...

Love the watermark 'stenciled' on the side of the fuselage, too, Brian

Thanks! I wasn't totally sure what I would get on the reverse side of the disc when I shot it but I knew at the very least it would show up given the sun angle, the shadows were a nice bonus. With the watermark I try to put that in a place that looks a part of the photo when I can, this one worked out nicely for that.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

A number of our Arizona Aviation Photographers (AzAP) group went to Tucson for some night photography at the Pima Air & Space Museum. While this is a semi-annual event for our group, it was my first time. We had nearly a full moon, clear skies and some ambient light from Tucson. It got a tad chilly as the hour grew late, but nothing a warm coat could not handle. Here are a couple of my efforts at long exposures. It was a fun way to spend an evening with some talented shooters in a non-typical aviation photography environment. I have a lot to learn

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2306

That B52 ia outstanding. Is that a 'shooting star' that you captured? (above the wing wheel on the left...

Jeff W.

Donald Gray wrote:
That B52 ia outstanding. Is that a 'shooting star' that you captured? (above the wing wheel on the left...

Thanks Donald. Actually, I believe that was a left-over from a meteor shower we had the evening before.

gerov
Total Posts: 9030

I'll second what Donald said on the B52, and raise him with a fabulous on the Hustler shot - the star trails are a really nice touch.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19275

Wow Jeff! Wish I was a bit closer, sure would love to be a part of your active, and talented group.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4097

Looks like with all the different shadow patterns that the B52 has some splinter camo on it's engines...

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Jeff,

Both shots are outstanding. What sort of exposure times are they?

Mark

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

Love the Buff, Jeff!

Now for something completely different...

http://bit.ly/INwSYz

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

So I'm sitting here in Dallas this morning and wake up to Kirby Chambliss (I think) doing aerobatics over the fancy suspension bridge near downtown, with a camera 407 in tow. Not a bad way to wake up on a Sunday morning!

Jeff W.

MMcGrath wrote:
Jeff,

Both shots are outstanding. What sort of exposure times are they?

Mark

Thanks all for the kind comments. You'd be more than welcome in our group Jim; we have a ton of fun and there are some very accomplished shooters. I try and peak over their shoulders whenever I can - like I did last night.

@Mark - The Buff and Hustler were 2-minute and 30-second exposures. The F-84 below is a 10 minute exposure. I had to go to f/22 for depth of field purposes and that significantly increase my exposure time. Thank goodness for the high ISO and long exposure noise reduction built into my 5D3.

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4122

Gee !
Which one do I fly today, --

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4122

Ps...beautiful shots Jeff, love night time photography.

dtw757
Total Posts: 129

Jeff W. wrote:
A number of our Arizona Aviation Photographers (AzAP) group went to Tucson for some night photography at the Pima Air & Space Museum. While this is a semi-annual event for our group, it was my first time. We had nearly a full moon, clear skies and some ambient light from Tucson. It got a tad chilly as the hour grew late, but nothing a warm coat could not handle. Here are a couple of my efforts at long exposures. It was a fun way to spend an evening with some talented shooters in a non-typical aviation photography environment. I have a lot to learn

Looking at the stars in the B-52 shot...the curved pattern in the top middle, I am wondering if that wasn't part of the big dipper. The relevance being that Comet Lovejoy is now visible to binoculars and is visible south and west of the Big Dip. Perhaps, you inadvertantly caught Lovejoy in the photo? Who knows?

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

GIB looks familiar.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9318

Since I was in the neighborhood this past Wednesday, I dropped in to the museum for a little while.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4097

How cool is that R2D2

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9318

1       2       3              3631      
       3633              4533       4534       end