Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3630

1       2       3              3630      
       3632              4530       4531       end

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

One for Jim. Hopefully people will be getting shots of his B-25 like this in the not too distant future!

PDumm
Total Posts: 204

Thanks again Zim, I have a bad habit of makeing changes like that and forgetting to change it back when I'm done.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

Taxi.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19259

Thanks for fielding Paul's question Zim. I was distracted when I read it and completely missed the over/under exposure part. Gotta love the knowledge here, among a host of other things.

Tim Adams

Hoot Gibson in 232 at pylon 2. Notice the common problem of racing Sea Fury's, the open tail wheel door. At the home pylon on the final lap it ingested the intake scoop. Hoot executed a perfect mayday landing.

Tim Adams

Sparky.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Just a small point of curiosity struck me today. We all have it understood that during an A2A it is full disc or go home pretty much, but what about G2A? Is there an agreed upon standard or "expected minimum percentage" of a disc? Take Jelly Belly above at about 25-30% of a disc as an example of what I mean. Just picking the fruit from the wealth of knowledge tree here.

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2306

At my age, prop blurr means the rest of the image is blurred too!

That is a great shot...

Tim Adams

I want to try to get most of the plane sharp in G2A so I shoot anywhere from 1/125-1/320. 1/320 is only for the tiny plastic planes, and aero acts that really turn the engine and prop hard. WWII big iron is never faster that 1/250.

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2448

As we are into the "Scottish Widows" team at the moment, these are at 1/500 but it's probably a bit fast, whilst the Dakota is at 1/250 (but not a brilliantly sharp image - probably due to camera shake because it was a long way off, rather than motion blur)
Niall

JWilsonphoto

Brian's wonderful Stearman image is a great example of the "full disc" goal. Not everyone can get them, no one can get them all the time, for some it's not even a goal, some like the effect, some don't care. Therein lies one of the beauties of our passion and trade. Kind of a "from each according to his/her ability, to each according to his/her vision" to paraphrase good 'Ol Karl.

Because of Brian's vision and skill at the instant the Stearman was captured, one can see something I don't ever remember seeing prior to this image, a perfect shade sketch of the radial engine on the back of the prop, very cool! Well done Brian!!

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Brian's wonderful Stearman image is a great example of the "full disc" goal. Not everyone can get them, no one can get them all the time, for some it's not even a goal, some like the effect, some don't care. Therein lies one of the beauties of our passion and trade. Kind of a "from each according to his/her ability, to each according to his/her vision" to paraphrase good 'Ol Karl.

Because of Brian's vision and skill at the instant the Stearman was captured, one can see something I don't ever remember seeing prior to this image, a perfect shade sketch of the radial engine on the back of the prop, very cool! Well done Brian!!

Not to mention both of the right wings! I puzzled over that shadow on the prop disc until Jim's note made it obvious...

Love the watermark 'stenciled' on the side of the fuselage, too, Brian

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 986

Oh, and did you see the orange / yellow “feathers” on the trailing edge of the main gear? Super job Brian.

Here in the UK I mostly find myself shooting G to A into a flat grey sky. In the past I've often ended up busting a gut trying for a full disk only to be rewarded with an invisible disk!
From now on I'm going to reserve silly shutter speeds for helicopters – getting any blur into those big two blade Bells is hard work.

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

I tend to go for as much prop blur as possible, no matter the situation. I like the motion blur I can get, and I enjoy the challenge. I lose more shots than I gain, but when I get the one it makes it all worth it.

That being said, I have learned that the gearing on the different engines will give a full disk on a Merlin (P-51) at 1/100, but that same setting will leave gaps on an Allison (P-40) or R-2800 (Corsair) powered airplane so I'm constantly adjusting depending on what is flying by. Number of prop blades also affects this, which is why Brian's shot with a 2-blade Stearman is not an easy one to get!

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2448

nickjohnson wrote:
Oh, and did you see the orange / yellow “feathers” on the trailing edge of the main gear? Super job Brian.

Here in the UK I mostly find myself shooting G to A into a flat grey sky. In the past I've often ended up busting a gut trying for a full disk only to be rewarded with an invisible disk!
From now on I'm going to reserve silly shutter speeds for helicopters – getting any blur into those big two blade Bells is hard work.

Amen to that
Niall

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

Aircraft with internal props are much easier to photograph

JWilsonphoto

Ain't that the truth Jeff! It's easy to get a full disc on the Global front stages Whenever I have a jet subject air to air, it's a whole different set of rules, and much less pressure. (That is , of course, if everything that is in the aircraft, remains in the aircraft……….. )

JWilsonphoto

Kids day at HQ, they are all bundled in throws laying around watching a marathon of Monsters Inc, Despicable Me etc. Chandler and I are working on the R/C Park Flyer Cub and his Nieuport kit. What this place needs is a fireplace…hmmm.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4092

Featuring Glenn Watson

gerov
Total Posts: 9030

Jan-Arie wrote:

Featuring Glenn Watson

very cool video - nice to get the view from the cockpit.

Thanks J-A

1       2       3              3630      
       3632              4530       4531       end