Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

A remarkable story about WestJet.

http://mashable.com/2013/12/09/westjet-christmas-miracle-ad/

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19267

JWilsonphoto

Shot a little Texas stock early Friday morning before Y'all showed up at AFW................

JWilsonphoto

Incredible sky that morning, should have been up in the 25...........

JWilsonphoto

Just a breathtaking, ever changing canvas.............

JWilsonphoto

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Colin Giersberg wrote:
A remarkable story about WestJet.

http://mashable.com/2013/12/09/westjet-christmas-miracle-ad/

Now, that's how great advertising is done.

JWilsonphoto

The Sixty.............

JWilsonphoto

GIV.................

david russell
Total Posts: 754

....and you hit 4000 pages with that one....congrats.

JWilsonphoto

Zoom, Zoom................

JWilsonphoto

The only way to fly.....................

JWilsonphoto

Home away from home................

JWilsonphoto

What 1.3 buys in North Texas................

JWilsonphoto

1.2 in The Woodlands

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

Just a little bungalow...

david russell
Total Posts: 754

1.2 sure doesn't go as far in my neck of the woods.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Jeff W. wrote:

I guess I see it another way Jay. We all generally bring our best tools with us on a shoot. Some simply can afford more and better tools than others. I think the luck part is simply the dynamics of shooting a static subject on the ground from a moving airplane at a low AGL, not every frame is going to be a keeper. To me it looks like this rig allows the photographer and pilot to collaborate and craft precisely the image desired. Sometimes I bet that does not reveal itself until they have made several passes.

I can only assume that the "forward looking" aspect of his gimbal arrangement gives the photographer the option and/or advantage to capture imagery that he and/or his client desires. It is no different that when Jim does architectural work compared to when I do it. His lighting resources easily overwhelm my humble set-up. Unfortunately, any gear debate always seems to avoid what I believe is the most important factors - talent, skill and vision.

I'm guessing I could take most of Jim's lighting equipment away from him and he'd still produce superior architectural photographs for his clients. In fact, that is probably exactly what he had to do in the early years of his career. Don't get me wrong, I want the best equipment I can afford, but IMHO that will never overcome a deficit in talent, skill and vision.

I give this photographer credit for finding an innovative approach to taking these photographs.

Don't forget my brother, compared to most everyone else at an AzAP photocall, you are the guy that "spent a crap-ton of money on gear". All that great gear not withstanding, it is your talent that separates you from other shooters. I prefer to admire this photographers vision and skill to create some terrific images.

Dear Jeff et al...

Perhaps my analysis was colored by the term "crap-ton"

My intent was to take nothing away from the results, however, my impression from watching the "making of" video was that the photographer wasn't really sure exactly what he wanted to get and seemed oddly grateful to have tripped over at least a portion of what he captured. I got the feeling that he was admitting he was (to some degree) dependent on the pilot and was just along for the ride happily snapping away. To a degree, his attitude struck me as almost "apologetic" for being fortunate enough to snag that assignment (or to have found a sugar daddy to pay the freight.)

The telling comment, to me, was his mention of the word "serendipity" and that left me feeling as if the photographer was expressing the notion that he "lucked" into at least some of what he shot. Of course, we all "fall" into certain shots from time to time and that's where much of the joy comes from in this crazy activity called photography but most of my luck comes on a tank of auto gas and isn't being generated by a project that costs cubic dollars.

I don't mean he should come off like a certain former wildlife shooter (who shall remain nameless), but there's no reason to not "own" your project. It's one thing to wallow in obscurity, but it's another to damn yourself with faint praise.

I dunno. Maybe I need to go watch it again...

<shrug>

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

Wow Jim, I can't decide what has the more luxurious living accommodations; the GIV or the home in North Texas. I know which one is more expensive

Jay - I understand where you're coming from. I interpreted his comments as being humble, maybe I'm being naive. Frankly, I was more interested in seeing the method he employed that resulted in the terrific photographs.

Here is a Royal Singapore Air Force (RSAF) McDonnell Douglas F-15SG Strike Eagle taxiing to the active at Luke AFB. These Strike Eagles are some serious hot rods with tons of horsepower

1       2       3              3625      
       3627              4531       4532       end