Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3622

1       2       3              3622      
       3624              4533       4534       end

azbill
Total Posts: 510

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

Love that angle on the Strike Eagle Bill. Nice work, especially considering the iffy conditions you had today.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

stevez wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
The more I think about it, this is probably the one you meant........... Are those knobs easy to lock down?

Yes, that's the one I have. Both heads you've shown have the same knobs, except for the extra panning stage on the clamp of the first one. The only knob you use routinely is the big one: it locks down the ball completely. The first little knob sets the drag on the ball when the big knob is loosened; you normally set that the way you like it and leave it alone after that. The really cool thing about that knob is that you can't adjust it when the big knob is locked, so you can't have any nasty surprises when you unlock the ball with the big knob. This is a big advantage of the larger BH-55 over the smaller heads, which don't have that feature. The lower knob locks the panning stage at the base of the head.

For what it is worth, I have exactly the same RRS head and legs as Steve. It is rock solid and the build quality is second to none.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

Jeff W. wrote:
stevez wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
The more I think about it, this is probably the one you meant........... Are those knobs easy to lock down?

Yes, that's the one I have. Both heads you've shown have the same knobs, except for the extra panning stage on the clamp of the first one. The only knob you use routinely is the big one: it locks down the ball completely. The first little knob sets the drag on the ball when the big knob is loosened; you normally set that the way you like it and leave it alone after that. The really cool thing about that knob is that you can't adjust it when the big knob is locked, so you can't have any nasty surprises when you unlock the ball with the big knob. This is a big advantage of the larger BH-55 over the smaller heads, which don't have that feature. The lower knob locks the panning stage at the base of the head.

For what it is worth, I have exactly the same RRS head and legs as Steve. It is rock solid and the build quality is second to none.

Not too surprising, since it was your recommendation that convinced me to buy mine.

mrkyle
Total Posts: 600

southpaw8669 wrote:

Fantastic B/W treatment. +1 like from me.

stevezzzz

mrkyle wrote:
Fantastic B/W treatment. +1 like from me.

Absolutely!

This shot highlights a pair of dimples on either side of the nose, below the painted stripe: any idea what's hiding behind them?

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

I may not be seeing the same thing Steve, but I think it may be the reflection of the engine nacelles you're seeing.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19275

That's what I see

stevezzzz

stevez wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
Yikes Steve, take care of yourself, glad you are feeling better. I kind of thought the 55 would be your recommendation, but I wanted to make sure before I bought a 500 dollar boat anchor. My Gitzo sticks should be stout enough. I just want something when I'm in tight quarters that will facilitate going vertical, and I want to have the correct components for multi shot pano's as well. I guess I need that nodal thingamajig too.

Single row panos require only one axis of 'nodal point' adjustment, fore-and-aft. Multi-row panos require that you be able to adjust the entire camera/lens combination, in pitch, about the nodal point as well. Mine is the single-row kind: it's just a slider on top of a panning stage and clamp, so you can adjust the camera/lens fore and aft. It also has a spirit level at one end of the slider and another on the panning stage: the spirit level on the ballhead's clamp is obscured by the pano clamp but otherwise the two are redundant.

By the way, using the spirit level on top of the BH-55 with quick clamp normally requires that you dismount the camera; it's pretty much hidden by the RSS L-plate and the overhanging camera body. It's really the only design 'miss' in the whole system, in my view.

I also have an old Nodal Ninja 2-axis pano head, but it's only suitable for lighter equipment, for instance a Rebel with a kit lens...or an OM-1.

stevezzzz

Ryan Harris wrote:
I may not be seeing the same thing Steve, but I think it may be the reflection of the engine nacelles you're seeing.

Doh! Of course...

[edit for TOPP: something from my 2014 photo calendar, "The Aerial Perspective": a chunk of central Wyoming]

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19275

Back to bed Zim.......

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 991

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Dear Nick,

You took the high road, which I would have bet on. That's the state of photography everywhere, maybe not to the degree you see it there at home, but digital has ushered in a sloppiness to the capture phase of photography, much the way texting has murdered grammar and punctuation, only in our trade the thought is "I can fix it later."

I've never understood what wins in these competitions, but I just chalked it up to my limited artistic knowledge and vision. I'm sure I would walk through the most wonderful museums of art, scratching my head most of the time. Add to that the fact that people have caught on to paid competitions (the promoters), and figured out that they can make a wheel barrow full of money charging entry fees, and even per entry fees. The only expense they have in it is the promotion, I'm sure the prizes are gimme's from sponsors.

The fact that someone asked you about your skies indicates to me their complete lack of a grasp on our passion. No matter how well a sky is dropped in, most generally you can tell it has been. Continue to do what you do for the reasons you do it, you'll be much better off in the short and long run, as will we, because your images are beautiful.

Thank you Jim. There are times when I feel that I'm stood on the beach, the tides coming in, I look around, and I'm the only one who's getting their feet wet. Never mind. I know that there are some folks who enjoy my picture postcards - and not just here – so that will have to do for me.

nickjohnson

Tim Adams wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
You know Tim, RARA could just tell the rest of the photographers to stay home, there's no one who shoots Reno like you do.

Thanks. We may all be staying home if things keep going like they are.

Dear Tim, Thank you for my annual Reno fix. I want you to know how much I appreciate the work you put into inviting us along to your holiday pilgrimage. Invited along is how It feels to me – I'm just right there with you. I know things aren’t good with RARA right now – hopefully the 50th won't be the last.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Back to bed Zim.......

Am I feverish...is this all a dream?

stevezzzz

I just did a little reading about the newest aircraft carrier, CVN-78 Gerald R. Ford. This thing represents technical advancements on so many fronts, but the one that really caught my imagination is the new EMALS catapult system. It's an electric 'rail gun' for aircraft, capable of launching both smaller and larger aircraft than the current steam catapults, to lower or higher takeoff speeds, while taking up less space, requiring less maintenance and fewer operations personnel.

Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_Aircraft_Launch_System

Geek factor 11:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/systems/emals.htm

nickjohnson

futurshox wrote:
stevez wrote:
Nice elliptical wing; but I don't recognize the type.

Looks like a Silence Twister to me. A German type; there's a few in the UK now.

Ha – I kinda knew Lady Jo would get the ID prize.

So here is one of the display duo – they are regulars on the UK air show circuit. Some don't like them since they are quite and small. I do like them – they fly a tight display in a small box and keep it close to the line but very safe.

Oh, and under is a flower – because we like to keep our lady members happy.

nickjohnson

stevez wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
Back to bed Zim.......

Am I feverish...is this all a dream?

Yes, and Yes. But if you want to hit us with fab aerials of Wyoming – please feel free to dream on!

Zane Adams
Total Posts: 371

Iced Song Sparrow from the weekend.

stevezzzz

nickjohnson wrote:
futurshox wrote:
stevez wrote:
Nice elliptical wing; but I don't recognize the type.

Looks like a Silence Twister to me. A German type; there's a few in the UK now.

Ha – I kinda knew Lady Jo would get the ID prize.

So here is one of the display duo – they are regulars on the UK air show circuit. Some don't like them since they are quite and small. I do like them – they fly a tight display in a small box and keep it close to the line but very safe.

Oh, and under is a flower – because we like to keep our lady members happy.

Gorgeous light on both of those, Nick! I'm kinda partial to the pair of Twisters--I'm a sucker for a beautifully shaped elliptical wing--but, then, I'm no lady...

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2456

stevez wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:

This conversation/discussion seems very interesting but I can't work out where it started - could someone give me a page reference, please?
Niall

1       2       3              3622      
       3624              4533       4534       end