Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3620

1       2       3              3620      
       3622              4532       4533       end

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 989

stevez wrote:
How is our European contingent faring in this winter storm?

Winter storm Xaver

First up – sorry your not well Steve – hope you get better very soon.

We continue to live a charmed life up here in NE England – just some high winds. Folks a little further south where not so lucky. Gale force winds + rain swollen rivers + highest tides since 1953 = floods in many coastal areas. Sea front and riverside properties swamped, cliff top homes washed away. As far as I know there has been no loss of life – so in the greater scheme of things – not so bad.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

Beautiful, Nick: where was that landscape taken? I've seen that shed before...

nickjohnson

Oh – sorry, have I posted that before? Or is it just the location you've seen before? Anyway, no mater and no secret. See Google Maps 55.669652, -1.796643. The castle is another of the five I spoke of yesterday.
For more about Lindisfarne try here http://www.lindisfarne.org.uk/

stevezzzz

I've seen other photographs, not this one, Nick. Do you know the background of those sheds: why the roof peak? It's reminiscent of an overturned boat's keel.

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

Overturned boat hulls where exactly what I saw at first glance. Very interesting way to build a shed if that is the case.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19268

You know, when one has finally reached a minimal level of maturity, gaining enough sense not to venture out on a day like today, distress calls from children who have not attained that level of discernment have you slip sliding around to save them from a pickle. The streets are the worst they have been since this began due to freezing fog this morning and now a slight melting which is covering everything with a thin layer of water. When I got out of the car to attempt to rescue Jennifer I slid flat footed from my car to hers, about 100', without ever taking a step. JR was in the same situation last night in his 2.5 ton Ram diesel pick up. Gotta love the Land Crusher, driven gingerly it just rolls on.

nickjohnson

Well …. I could spin you all kinds of yarns – but the truth is that the sheds are in fact upturned boats – exactly as you thought. See http://www.secrets-of-shed-building.com/lindisfarne-boat-sheds.html
for the story.

Since I live on the mainland – close to the island causeway – I do have ...err.... shed loads of pictures. Here is another.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2777

Pretty Cardinals and sheds!

We didn't get the ice storm like that in Dallas, but it's been cold enough here to explode the frostweed in our garden.

stevezzzz

Hang on, that's enough for one day: between Lindisfarne boat sheds and exploding frostweed I can't take in any more new information.

stevezzzz

Poking around after reading Nick's link, I found this piece about boat sheds, photo contests, and the excessive use of Photoshop.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2228184/Haunting-picture-Lindisfarne-Castle-triumphs-competition-stunning-landscape-Britain.html

And in response to Jo's revelation, I found this.

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=VEVI3

JWilsonphoto

"Frostweed", certainly a new one on me! Don't want to be a round when a field full of those go off!

JWilsonphoto

And those carrier guys think they have it tough.................

JWilsonphoto

This guy has watched too many Eagles................

JWilsonphoto

You have to admit, this is a gutsy approach..............

JWilsonphoto

1DX @ iso 2,500 with my 500mm series I....................

JWilsonphoto

Same specs at 100% crop. I'd love to shoot the series II side by side today and see exactly how much difference there is. I'm sure the autofocus is slightly faster and slightly more accurate, and sometimes "slightly" is the edge a photographer needs.

nickjohnson

Yes, a sad state of affairs in that competition. I simply don't have anything to do with paid entry competitions or salons, or the like. The stuff that does well in them is almost never to my (admittedly conservative) taste. Likely that may sound like sour grapes to some – so be it. I was careful to congratulate Dave on his win, and kept quiet when it got taken away. At the time I felt it unproductive to point out how obvious the manipulations where – thinking that it was my local knowledge that made it so, and not wishing to cause a fight on the forum we both frequent from time to time.
Quite recently I was asked how I managed to “drop in” such nice skies in some of my landscape work. I don't know who was more shocked – me, at being asked such a question – or the questioner, upon being told that I don't drop in skies and that I could not even if I wanted to because I don't know how!
Such is the state of “photography” here in the UK.

stevezzzz

Nice elliptical wing; but I don't recognize the type.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
This guy has watched too many Eagles................

You, Jim, are having too much fun, and we are the beneficiaries.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

Pylon 4.

1       2       3              3620      
       3622              4532       4533       end