Kopje Cats 3 (1)
/forum/topic/1184293/0

2       end

blueimage
Total Posts: 829

Just recently processed this one....I've gone back and forth on color vs black and white, but I'm liking this B&W for the time being. Anyway, it's a simple scene of this lone male lion at rest beside a remote Kopje, full frame.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome,

Jim

Big Cats and the Great Migration

KCollett
Total Posts: 23546

Very nice image. On first look, the lion is secondary, a supporting cast for the landscape. Once you key in on it, you notice the lion first. I like it!

billk55
Total Posts: 611

What KCollett said!

Conrad Tan
Total Posts: 28399

I like it!

blueimage

KCollett wrote:
Very nice image. On first look, the lion is secondary, a supporting cast for the landscape. Once you key in on it, you notice the lion first. I like it!

Ken, thanks so much for the kind remark. I was trying to give the landscape prominence...I have scads of close-ups...including this cat @ 800mm instead of 90mm, but they could be anywhere. Thanks again,

Jim

harshaj1
Total Posts: 18496

Excellent Jim. I like the composition. My experience around Kopjes hasn't been that great. I had seen lions and cheetahs but in really harsh light.
Harsha

eyelaser
Total Posts: 19816

A very interesting shot Jim..I look at this image and while I am an eternal optimist I see the Kopjes still standing long after the last lion has passed through this part of the Serengetti. The lion almost looks like its guarding the kopjes while in fact its the other way around.
Eric

blueimage

billk55 wrote:
What KCollett said!

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the comment,

Jim

blueimage

Conrad Tan wrote:
I like it!

Thanks Conrad!

Jim

blueimage

harshaj1 wrote:
Excellent Jim. I like the composition. My experience around Kopjes hasn't been that great. I had seen lions and cheetahs but in really harsh light.
Harsha

Thanks Harsha...sorry your experiences have not been optimal, but that's the norm given their remoteness. I takes driving in the dark for a long ways to be in the best Kopjes in good light, and that's not an option on most safaris. Actually, most of the Kopjes, like the one depicted, are not even approachable without special permits.

Thanks for the comment!

Jim

Lil Judd
Total Posts: 18678

I would call this "Kopjes with resting Lion"

the lion is definitely supporting cast here. I like seeing our subjects in their environment.

Nice

Lil

DonGut
Total Posts: 8226

Nice setting and scene; I think I prefer colour. This is a great landscape shot in many ways. Don

KirkB
Total Posts: 10780

Excellent composition and the eye contact is powerful... well done.
I prefer nature & wildlife images in their natural colors, but this works pretty well too.

Kirk

kmunroe
Total Posts: 29693

it's very nice Jim.. i also may prefer it in color

surfnron
Total Posts: 31610

A very nice shot Jim. It works as a landscape and a lion shot ~ Ron

morris
Total Posts: 37222

Sweet

Morris

randysc
Total Posts: 2149

Well captured, I like the B&W.

Randy

blueimage

eyelaser wrote:
A very interesting shot Jim..I look at this image and while I am an eternal optimist I see the Kopjes still standing long after the last lion has passed through this part of the Serengetti. The lion almost looks like its guarding the kopjes while in fact its the other way around.
Eric

Hey Eric, barring a cataclysmic event, the rocks will indeed outlast the lions. Unfortunately, and as you know, lions (actually all the big cats) are disappearing at an alarming rate. I think you're right on both counts on who's guarding whom....it's a symbiotic relationship for sure. Thanks for the comments!

Jim

blueimage

Lil Judd wrote:
I would call this "Kopjes with resting Lion"

the lion is definitely supporting cast here. I like seeing our subjects in their environment.

Nice

Lil

Lil, I really appreciate comment. Habitat is the most critical thing to wildlife, it just seams right to give it prominence on occasion - at the cost of whisker detail.

Jim

blueimage

DonGut wrote:
Nice setting and scene; I think I prefer colour. This is a great landscape shot in many ways. Don

Hey Don, I generally prefer color also...but their's something about B&W Africa scenes that appeal to me - nostalgia I guess.

Jim

2       end