Windows 7 or 8 pro for new build & CS 6
/forum/topic/1184092/0

2       end

Peter Le
Total Posts: 1035

Who is using Widows 8 with CS 6 and do you like it ? Have been using Win. 7 with CS 5 and love it. Putting together a new build and can't decide wether to continue with 7 or try Win. 8 .

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33544

It works great with both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Peter Le

Thank you for your reply Lars.....but I understand that. Just not sure if I am going to like the Windows 8 experience......maybe just stick with Win. 7. Just wanted some FM users opinions on using Win. 8.....Peter

knower
Total Posts: 89

Windows 8 is great.
Very fast, responsive and many things added for increased productivity.

Put it on, remove Metro with Clean Shell and you are up and running.

You won't regret.

Ciao!
G.

Peter Le

knower wrote:
Windows 8 is great.
Very fast, responsive and many things added for increased productivity.

Put it on, remove Metro with Clean Shell and you are up and running.

You won't regret.

Ciao!
G.

Thanks knower........is Clean Shell a program ? I googled it and came up with a lot of stuff....but not a program named Clean Shell.

knower

No problem Peter!

Sorry it's my fault, it is called Classic Shell, not Clean Shell

G.

Peter Le

Thanks knower I will check it out. I guess I will go with windows 8 and if I can't adjust to the new interface it seems there are a lot of ways to change it.

theSuede
Total Posts: 2223

After having it a while you get used to it, but I still see no meaning for all the tablet- and pad-optimized stuff in the desktop version of the product.

Just as with iPad iOS and Android OS, the up-front "modern" UI is almost purely a media or content consumption interface, not a media or content creation interface.

For use with PS-CS6 as the only main application though, no problem. My problem is that I use at least ten or fifteen different content creation tools (some of them image, some of them video, some of them programming) to make my work happen, and that's a pain in the "modern" UI so far.

But W8 is no doubt faster in many cases. And the difference will only grow, so my own reason for W8 was to be "in" from the beginning. I still keep (and regularly use, for compatibility testing purposes) W7 though.

WAYCOOL
Total Posts: 2421

The meaning for the "metro" style part of the OS it so you use the Microsoft store for you purchases. Microsoft wants 30% of everything you spend the same way Apple or Amazon or Google dose. Because it works well with touch screens is secondary to getting your money.

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33544

With Microsofts really low upgrade price, I can't see any reason not to buy Windows 8. I paid something like $ 35-40 for the Windows 8 Pro

Peter Le

Thank you for your input Suede......that is what is pushing me forward.....I was a bata user of Win 7......I'm getting kind of old in the body.....but don't want to get old in the mind.......but I have to agree with you......a consumption interface for a prodution desk top just seems kind of silly. I do like this kind of interface on my andriod tablet....but then that is used for consumption. But I will try it and get used to it. Peter

knower

The interface can be taken out in 20 secs. I didn't want to get used to it, it's pointless for me.
Nothing easier with Classic Shell.

Install it and enjoy!

Peter Le

Lars Johnsson wrote:
With Microsofts really low upgrade price, I can't see any reason not to buy Windows 8. I paid something like $ 35-40 for the Windows 8 Pro

Very true Lars......but this is a new build so need a full version.....but OEM price is no different then 7.

Peter Le

That is probably what I will do "knower".....but I have to try it 1st.....might not be all that bad.

WAYCOOL
Total Posts: 2421

Peter Le wrote:
Lars Johnsson wrote:

Very true Lars......but this is a new build so need a full version.....but OEM price is no different then 7.

You can do a clean install on a blank disk that has never seen any version of Windows with the upgrade media if you like. Just have to know the trick.

Bifurcator
Total Posts: 9255

Peter Le wrote:
Thanks knower I will check it out. I guess I will go with windows 8 and if I can't adjust to the new interface it seems there are a lot of ways to change it.

You don't have to adjust to the interface... you can adjust the interface to you. You can set it up to look and act just like Win7 if you like.

bobh665
Total Posts: 39

So what is the trick to install the Win 8 upgrade on a clean hard drive?

RDKirk
Total Posts: 8976

Peter Le wrote:
Thank you for your reply Lars.....but I understand that. Just not sure if I am going to like the Windows 8 experience......maybe just stick with Win. 7. Just wanted some FM users opinions on using Win. 8.....Peter

Many years ago, I loved IBM OS/2, which was for a long time much better than Windows. But it went away and Windows got better.

RDKirk

theSuede wrote:
After having it a while you get used to it, but I still see no meaning for all the tablet- and pad-optimized stuff in the desktop version of the product.

Just as with iPad iOS and Android OS, the up-front "modern" UI is almost purely a media or content consumption interface, not a media or content creation interface.

This needs a tangital comment. People are saying that tablets are killing the concept of the PC. No, what's really happening is that the world is shaking out a difference between content consumers and content creators.

Up until recently, the PC has been the only tool available for both content consumption and content creation. It was as though the only type of motor vehicle available was a pick-up truck, and everyone had to buy a pick-up whether he intended ever to haul a bulk load or not.

But then sedans become available, and we discover that most people never wanted or needed to haul bulk loads--maybe just some luggage now and then. Those people start buying sedans, and perhaps they are in the great majority. But there are still people who do haul bulk loads, and those people continue to be a market for pick-up trucks...and leaves the pick-up designers to design big-iron trucks even better suited for a better-defined market.

So that's where we are headed with computing. Most people never needed the content-creation power of the PC. So now they have the option of purchasing content-consumption devices with only light content-creation ability. Good. So bring on the big iron PCs for those of us who want to do video in the blink of an eye.

RDKirk

knower wrote:
The interface can be taken out in 20 secs. I didn't want to get used to it, it's pointless for me.
Nothing easier with Classic Shell.

Install it and enjoy!

Actually, Start8 is easier...but Classic Shell has more versatility for those of us who like tinkering and tweaking the small stuff.

Start8 costs $5, but has a thirty-day trial period. I recommend loading Win-8 and then immediately putting on Start8 to put you back to an interface you're accustomed with as little fuss as possible--then get your system rebuilt.

Once you're back in business, then make your peace with Metro...or not. If not, then you can figure out within the 30-day trial if Start8 answers your needs or you need more tweaking with Classic Shell.

2       end