New York Islanders Blue and White Scrimmage
/forum/topic/1182948/0

cmpdesignz2010
Total Posts: 438

Had the opportunity to photograph the New York Islanders play a scrimmage game against their AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Had a strobe pack go out on me during the game, so shooting behind the net wasn't as well lit as usual.

The Sound Tigers actually beat the Islanders in regulation, but I guess it would look bad if the "pro team" lost to the "minor league team", so they had a shoot out and didn't end it until the Islander scored the winning goal.

Anyway, here is a selection of pics from the game. All Nikon D3s, 1/250th, F10, @200ISO.

cmpdesignz2010

cmpdesignz2010

figo
Total Posts: 73

Those are some interesting settings. Never seen f10.

Rick Denham
Total Posts: 2267

figo wrote:

Have you ever shot on strobe in an arena?

Chris, great work, I actually caught it on the Getty feed yesterday.
Whats with the Bridgeport shirts, trainer forget a a few whites?

cmpdesignz2010

Rick Denham wrote:
figo wrote:

Have you ever shot on strobe in an arena?

Chris, great work, I actually caught it on the Getty feed yesterday.
Whats with the Bridgeport shirts, trainer forget a a few whites?

I try to always shoot strobe in an arena. Sometimes it's not that easy. I don't understand the question about the shirts? The game was the Blue and White. Blue was the Islanders - White was Bridgeport (although the Islander goaltenders were playing for Bridgeport, so they wore White Islanders jerseys).

Rick Denham
Total Posts: 2267

Chris, the strobe comment was directed at figo, not you...sorry for the misunderstanding.

As for the blue white game, usually its the the team divided up in half, one wears home jerseys the other away, not the NHL v AHL. Guess we do things differently up here in the great white north

cmpdesignz2010

Rick Denham wrote:
As for the blue white game, usually its the the team divided up in half, one wears home jerseys the other away, not the NHL v AHL. Guess we do things differently up here in the great white north

Teams did both. I know the Caps and Pens played split squad games while The Islanders and Bruins both played their AHL affiliates (and got beat by them).

I'm still covering AHL for one more weekend. I have had a great time with the Sound Tigers. Really a top notch organization as far as treating the media and photographers properly.

Paulthelefty
Total Posts: 547

A great set! Faces, action, good exposure and WB. Well done!

Paul

ACNYPhoto
Total Posts: 510

Nice shots! f10? I've shot in the coliseum before, never with strobes though.... If I remember correctly I never had to go about 1600 ISO in there though...

cmpdesignz2010

ACNYPhoto wrote:
Nice shots! f10? I've shot in the coliseum before, never with strobes though.... If I remember correctly I never had to go about 1600 ISO in there though...

Available light at Nassau is 800th/4/3200ISO. I was at F10 because I plugged into both sets of strobes to make sure I overpowered the ambient light. TV wasn't to happy, but no one else seemed to mind.

danny d
Total Posts: 681

Great set! Great action, framing and the images really pop. Could you please explain how you used strobes in an arena?

cmpdesignz2010

danny d wrote:
Great set! Great action, framing and the images really pop. Could you please explain how you used strobes in an arena?

I'm confused by the question. The strobes are there already. I just plugged in my Pocket Wizards and shot. If you're asking how did I have access to the lights, I freelance for the team and Getty.

danny d
Total Posts: 681

Thanks, that answers my question. Where are the lights in the arena? I never noticed them before, very cool !

erikscanon1990
Total Posts: 4

Great shots, nice and sharp. Interesting with everyone and the strobe question. Strobes can be insane with settings. When I first shot with strobes it was NCAA basketball at f/5.6 ISO 160 at 1/250. Very weird, but hey, great settings nonetheless, especially if you are in dual sets. But again, nice shots.

ACNYPhoto
Total Posts: 510

cmpdesignz2010 wrote:
ACNYPhoto wrote:

Available light at Nassau is 800th/4/3200ISO. I was at F10 because I plugged into both sets of strobes to make sure I overpowered the ambient light. TV wasn't to happy, but no one else seemed to mind.

I have a few friends who shoot the Islanders on and off and actually they do curse the guys with the strobes when you blow out their shots, lol...

I've only shot practice and when the little guys have their tournaments there, still haven't weaseled my way into shooting a game.

sozypozy
Total Posts: 600

I like the pictures you've taken but I feel that the composition was stagnant through out. Not much framing variety except for one or two pictures. Most of the pictures look almost the same