Cropping terminology question
/forum/topic/1182532/0

ebrown88
Total Posts: 135

Hi Everybody,

When someone says an image was cropped 50% (for example) do they mean in linear dimensions, as opposed to area?

Example: OOC image is 4000 x 2000 pixels. Cropped image is 2000 x 1000 pixels. Each dimension is cut in half, but image area is divided by 4. Is this a 50% crop, for the purposes of this forum?

Thanks,

Dennis B.

_Rob_S_
Total Posts: 1214

I too, am curious to hear the answer. Even more puzzling for me is the phrase "100% crop". Does that mean a full size image with no crop or 100% of the image is cropped away (unlikely!)?

Rob

BenV
Total Posts: 8156

I find its a loose term on these forums. I've seen a few different photos claiming to be a 50% crop, but it just didn't look right. Where as a 100% crop is just a crop of any given photo, shown completely. For instance you zoom in 100% on any given photo, you highlight 500x500px, and when displayed, it takes up 500x500px on your screen. But as for your example, you seem to have the right idea.

ebrown88
Total Posts: 135

Another problem with "50% crop" is that it doesn't tell you if the image was resized or not. Most of the images presented on this forum seem to be in the neighborhood of 1000 to 1200 pixels wide.

But if someone started with, say, a Canon 7d full size Raw image of 5184 x 3456 pixels, then cropped it 50%, the result would be 2592 x 1728 pixels. I don't think I've seen anything presented that large here. That means that the image was resized (after being cropped) before being uploaded here.

I think it's time to let this one go. I can live with the imprecise meaning of "50% crop." Thanks for your comments.

Dennis B.

cgardner
Total Posts: 9376

Crop is what is done with the cropping tool to select a smaller section of the image. A crop without any resizing does not change the pixels, it just selects fewer of them than in the SOOC file. Like cutting a piece of bread in half.

If keeping the entire image the camera captured but changing the pixel dimensions smaller by 50% with the image size function the more accurate term would be "resized" or "rescaled" or "down-rezzed". Like taking a piece of bread and shrinking it. It still looks like a piece of bread only smaller.

When someone says an image is a 100% crop what they mean is they cropped a small section of the camera file with resizing. A small piece cut out of the entire slice of bread. That is done so the unadulterated SOOC pixels can be seen for "Pixel Peeping" in a size that fits.