One Peachtree Center
/forum/topic/1182294/0



Travis Rhoads
Registered: Apr 28, 2009
Total Posts: 3780
Country: United States

The John Portman building at One Peachtree Center in downtown Atlanta is one of the first places I visited when I moved here 12 years ago, and I have always liked the building for its strong geometries and interesting colonnade at the ground level...this past weekend I spent a lot of time photographing the outside...these are just two from the day. C&C is more than welcome, and always appreciated. I have found that I am doing a lot more B&W lately, and plan to keep working at it this year.



the888account
Registered: Oct 21, 2011
Total Posts: 338
Country: United Kingdom

#1 for me Travis.

Think the composition is very good and takes your eyes through the image. B/W particularly suits this image I think with the contrast between the roller coaster bit and the dark shadows of the door way.

Good work!



Travis Rhoads
Registered: Apr 28, 2009
Total Posts: 3780
Country: United States

the888account wrote:
#1 for me Travis.

Think the composition is very good and takes your eyes through the image. B/W particularly suits this image I think with the contrast between the roller coaster bit and the dark shadows of the door way.

Good work!

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate your insight...and agree, B&W suits the first image due to the bright whites of the accents, windows and that roller coaster frame. The dark area is some sort of atrium on the ground floor, there is a pond between the building and the walkway.



WilliamFinley
Registered: Apr 11, 2010
Total Posts: 2533
Country: United States

Nice composition on that first one!

Bill



Travis Rhoads
Registered: Apr 28, 2009
Total Posts: 3780
Country: United States

WilliamFinley wrote:
Nice composition on that first one!

Bill

Thanks Bill. I probably spent more time trying to get setup for the shot than anything else.



the888account
Registered: Oct 21, 2011
Total Posts: 338
Country: United Kingdom

Travis Rhoads wrote:
the888account wrote:
#1 for me Travis.

Think the composition is very good and takes your eyes through the image. B/W particularly suits this image I think with the contrast between the roller coaster bit and the dark shadows of the door way.

Good work!

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate your insight...and agree, B&W suits the first image due to the bright whites of the accents, windows and that roller coaster frame. The dark area is some sort of atrium on the ground floor, there is a pond between the building and the walkway.


Ah - I see now. I guessed marble / polished surface.



Travis Rhoads
Registered: Apr 28, 2009
Total Posts: 3780
Country: United States

yeah, it is water, and to keep it from getting stagnant it has a bubbler...thus the Long exposure, to blur out the ripples and surface texture so that I could get that super smooth reflection.



sbeme
Registered: Dec 23, 2003
Total Posts: 17389
Country: United States

First for me as well. I really enjoy architectural shots and you have a great subject well-composed and presented.
BTW, is this anywhere near Peachtree and Peachtree
Scott



Travis Rhoads
Registered: Apr 28, 2009
Total Posts: 3780
Country: United States

Thanks for taking the time Scott. As an architect, I am a fan of architecture to say the least...I like to try to shoot.buildings and scenes like #1 as if it were my portfolio piece...#2 was just learning LE techniques. one of these days when the weather is better I will go back and shoot more of the building...



Dougo
Registered: Feb 10, 2006
Total Posts: 5509
Country: Australia

Hi Travis,
I like both of these very much #1 the good composition and interesting building and #2 for your different interpretation of an often seen shot

Cheers Ray



Travis Rhoads
Registered: Apr 28, 2009
Total Posts: 3780
Country: United States

Dougo wrote:
Hi Travis,
I like both of these very much #1 the good composition and interesting building and #2 for your different interpretation of an often seen shot

Cheers Ray

Thanks for commenting Ray. Glad you like #2...architectural LE is something new for me, been getting into it for a little while now...it is not as easy as I thought it would be. Love the challenge.



Chainshot
Registered: Aug 19, 2010
Total Posts: 215
Country: United States

The company I worked for had a couple of showrooms in the Atl. Merchandise Mart. If you go up to the top floors (AMC offices) they have some nice b/w images on the walls. You can also go outside for a great view of Atl. You can easily see - CNN, WCC, GT, Stadium, etc...



Travis Rhoads
Registered: Apr 28, 2009
Total Posts: 3780
Country: United States

Thanks for the tip...need to check that out.